What's your favorite class?

To specify, I’m referring to usability for how useful the class is to the looks and aesthetic to a class’s design.

It’s a tie between FE8 great knights and FE7 paladins respectively with their usability, stats and movement.

For aesthetic design, It’s gotta be the mirage sessions’ conqueror chrom. (I think he was a conqueror in that crossover.)

5 Likes

In terms of gameplay/usefulness, absolutely a good, properly done mercenary/hero. Love a good, solid sword unit.

In terms of aesthetic it’s knights. I don’t think this is a surprise, but I love knights. Bonus points for magic knights, since that’s a bit of a mold-breaker.

4 Likes

swordmasters, assassins, the gba generals and great knights, whispers

1 Like

Bow Armor

1 Like

Knight/General/Great Knight

I just like big armors

1 Like

Armored units are always peak with both aesthetic design and usability.

3 Likes

I like the wizard class.
A wizard with high luck and high speed is quite powerful.
If wizards can support each other, they are even stronger.
If they can use wands, they can heal each other, so if they work as a pair, they can be quite strong.
If you succeed in training your wizard, the latter half of the game can become a game where you can win by just moving your wizard without thinking.

2 Likes

I have quite a few:
Usability wise I really like a good Axe unit, notably Warriors. Big damage is just cool lol. Also fond of units that can use physical and magical weapons

Design wise, Merc/Heroes. I love all their designs!

2 Likes

It may be because of my love of green units, but I LOVE soldiers.

the soldier isn’t playable in the GBA games, though it is one of the like, 3 lance infantries in all of the GBA games, and I find that pretty cool.

2 Likes

Dark mages!

I can appreciate them in DS/3DS where they use Tomes and have exclusive access to certain tomes. But I think they shine the most in GBA where they have their own weapon rank. I also enjoy how GBA shows that dark magic isn’t necessarily evil, but rather it’s connected to the arcane, and the laws of the universe. Dark magic users in GBA are mostly seekers of knowledge, not power. But in the case of Nergal, it shows how these forces can drive one insane if missused. If you think about it, no major antagonist in FE6 or FE8 is a dark magic user.

Also, long dark mage robes seem very comfy. And even the slutty Plegian robes are appropriate for the climate they live in.

I’m just dissapointed we didn’t get more dark magic rep in FE10. There’s like, 1 generic druid boss, 1 chapter with about 5 generic druids, and then Pelleas and Sephiran.

3 Likes

I remember that in shadow dragon and new mystery had them and God how vastly superior to mages is a massive understatement.

Honestly i’ve slowly developed a strong love for Wyvern Knights…they are better offensive Falco Knights and they actually look the part of Wyverns and not the mini-dragons we see the other Wyvern Rider classes use. Plus alot the FEU-developed sprites are even better to look at such as the ones for the Malig Knight.

1 Like

HI I made a really long post by accident… again…

I really like the berserker class line and especially pirate → berserkers, in both gameplay and ascetic, I feel they take what makes the swordmaster fun [mad damage with sick crits] and push it further by taking away the consistency [at least in a vacuum] of swordmasters, the speed and hit for higher rewards, axes generally being less accurate but higher damage, paired with berserker’s generally high strength makes that increased crit very enticing, and when you hit you still do good damage with enough bulk to survive even with misses, they also have a unique movement type that is fun to use when you get the opportunity to.

For ascetics I like the pirate theming some GBA zerkers had is very fun and often makes the character(s) stand out from the rest of the cast in a way that feels appropriate to most any FE setting.
I feel the pirate to berserker promotion also just feels really good to achieve and factors into the ascetic for me.
I also just like having muscular strong people in the army it feels very fun to see them fight
[I guess warrior works too but they don’t have crit boost].

It’s a shame that in vanilla games there aren’t many women that come in this class line, I think Panette and Charlotte are the only ones? But they lack the pirate theming and are of the non-gba variety, and as such no innate crit, though their personal skills give crit…[see below]
I do like panette’s ascetic but that’s not really a class thing.

Mostly off topic rambling about personal skills, female enemies, and SOU

Panette’s personal is… well good while Charlotte’s sucks bad effectively only working on select bosses [3 conquest (Scarlet, Reina{Both Ch13[Charlotte join map]} and Hinoka{Ch24}) and 4 rev (LOL have fun training her) (Arete {???, Ch 18}, Generic Kinshi knight boss {Ch 20}, Arete {Ch 22}, Arete{Ch23}, and Mikoto {Ch25})] and the sky knight class lines.
[seriously why are there so few female enemies series wide anyway? I kinda get early games breaking with too many unique map sprites on screen but like later games have no excuse.
Fates even had male and female of every class including sky knights so why are women relegated to it aside tradition?]

[Paralouge bosses are Rajaht, Nina, and Candace, so two squishies that fold to almost anything, and a unit you probably want to capture even if just for the fun of it]

[I just realized all the wolfskin and kitsune enemies are adult men and it is stated you aren’t a pacifist, you’ll use your fist, feeling evil, you’ll kill them all… they are literally tribes of gay furries there is no other interpretation.]

6 Likes

I’m disappointed this thread isn’t a poll… :slightly_frowning_face:

Hero

1 Like

Praise be to the troubador, specially those who can stab the heck out of you. Horse? Check. Warp strats? Check. Cute girl/boy? Check. Violence? Check.

1 Like

FE8 Wyvern Knight, specifically the Peg → Wyvern promo line: I’m a sucker for mounts with ludicrous avoid but questionable strength and bulk since it makes me feel less “guilty” about juggernauting with them. I also respect the lance lock, since it gives them meaningfully disadvantaged matchups against a lot of throwaway axe enemies (on paper at least, FE8 enemies sure are things that exist) that even the weaker members of the army should have no trouble with by that point

1 Like

Charlotte’s personal skill works on some generics too. Like Sky Knights and Maids

1 Like

Gameplay-wise, I’ve always been a fan of the Mage-Sage line in the GBA games. Always a really reliable class to have around, like a magic Hero that’s frailer but can heal. They’re no slouches in the Aesthetic department either: what I wouldn’t do to have a cool cape and fancy sigils to throw around while blasting people with fire…
Although if we’re going purely off of Aesthetics, I’d say either Generals or Warriors take the cake for me. Hulking monstrosities of metal swinging around chain weapons like a fusion of Mortal Combat and Evangelion, or giant muscular beyblades that pose like a pro-wrestler? Both, both is good.

1 Like

The hero class has always been a solid class in both areas.

Can I cheat and say every class.

Pre-GBA probably goes to Swordmaster/Hero, I adore the animations, especially the opening critical with the frontflip slash that would eventually end up as the GBA Mercenary attack, and the ‘Dolphin Slash’ uppercut.

Uh… GBA goes to Swordmaster/Bishop/Berserker. Swordmaster because duh, Bishop because I’ve always always always adored light magic, Paladins are my favourite class (in other series) for this reason. And Berserker because smash enemies in the face with big weapon is good.

3DS games goes to Maid. Ninja Maids are just neat.

Switch games? Wolf Knight. 100%. Best new class.

3 Likes