What Popular / Mainstream ideas do you NOT like in your projects?

Convention(s)

1 Like

Resrticting funds without the means to solve it, I really dislike resource management if itā€™s done wrongā€¦

If the hack puts in droppable weapons or puts in the capture mechanic or some other mechanism like unlimited basic weaponsā€¦

Iā€™m fine with it.

1 Like

Units that never get good.
Wether theyā€™re just bad because of Game Desing (Mathew, Dorcas), overall bad stats (Forde, Knoll), or theyā€™re literally a joke unit (FE4 Arden). I see no point in putting a unit in the game if theyā€™r not gonna be useful.
And sure. Some units are bound to be better than others. But at least make the weaker ones fun to use.

1 Like

If all units are perfectly balanced, then no units stand out as more fun to use. I think variation in unit usefulness is important. I agree that itā€™s nice to give a weaker unit some sort of utility or gimmick to make them fun to use, though. Thieves like Matthew, for example, allow you to steal stuff. Summoners are pretty overpowered when using their summons to bait AI. Not every unit will have much of a niche, but filtering out the ā€œbadā€ units is part of the fun of building your team.

2 Likes

I guessā€¦ But sometimes it gets too extreme. Like in FE6 where only about 10 out of your total of 50-ish playable units are viable.

Like yeah, Mathew can steal. But so can Legault, and the ladder can actually fight.

Same goes for Chad and Astolfo in FE6.

If you can beat the game using a character, then they are viable imo. Maybe really you mean ā€œ10/50 characters are overpoweredā€. Lol

3 Likes

Well. Technically, with enough recources, you can make anyone good. You just feed them all your stat boosters and throw them into the arena. But going through all that trouble isnā€™t always fun.
Iā€™d rather have most units be able to naturally grow at a decent rate, if you use them as soon as you get them, without a need for excessive investment.

1 Like

skills and reinforcements

1 Like

I agree with half of the mentioned characters but in my opinion Dorcas was good enough against wyverns and other lance wielding enemies before Hawkeye dusts him with 50% crit with a killer axe and knoll makes a good summoner and who doesnā€™t like free meat shields?

3 Likes

you speak nothing but truth

Yeah. FE7 gives you too many bad unpromoted units and too many godlike prepromotes

Ooooh hereā€™s a spicy one, I actually HATE prepromotes and except for FE4 Sigurd and Oifey never used one in my runs. I think Iā€™ve used Pent just as a heal bot, but thatā€™s it.

This includes Marcus, Jagen, SETH, Titania, Percival, Hawkeye etc etc

It just feels like idk a cop-out to use someone that strong and the fact they are already promoted makes me feel less invested in them as well. Also the whole I never promote until 20, (20/20 gang 4 lyfe).

4 Likes

Erk to Pent (I still used Erk though because I like mages). Rebecca to Louise, Dorcas and Bartre to Hawkeye, Heath to Vaida, Guy to karel, Raven to Harken, Oswin to ā€¦ I canā€™t remember the name, the guy who was in lyn mode and reappeared in chapter 25 or something.

1 Like

you good sir are a living pitfall

3 Likes

Heath and Oswin are OK tho

1 Like

heath has a shitty haircut and oswin isnā€™t bald

1 Like

fe7 false friends must be your wet dream

1 Like

@theghostcreator can you try to just post 1 post instead of double posting when itā€™s entirely not necessary (replying to someone directly on discourse donā€™t actually mean anything, you can just quote the ones you want to reply in one post and then answer them in one post)? thank you.

2 Likes

Dab on them and stay winning friend

1 Like

I keep forgetting to do that. Sorry Iā€™m very new here Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get better with time this is the second time now that Iā€™m reminded of this.

1 Like