What Popular / Mainstream ideas do you NOT like in your projects?

Humans… filthy humans.

Sit right down and let me tell you about this project called Pokemblem

8 Likes

???
when did i say this

1 Like

Oh I said this, they just confused our names

2 Likes

this forum post i stumbled upon today regarding unit portraits made me realize how unsettling a choppy character portrait can be. i’ve attempted a couple portraits so i can appreciate the difficulties. don’t let me discourage anyone making custom characters but know i really appreciate a refined original design, especially if they recycle vanilla portraits and pull it off.

1 Like

i saw someone said splice bad
now it’s custom bad

what am i supposed to do now? not sprite?
seriously, no art assets are bad, it’s all subjective

everyone will appreciate anything what it takes to replace vanilla assets

edit : changed this thread’s category to community since this is not related to hacking question at all.

13 Likes

Master of herbs,

Thank you.

I am now enlightened.

Why would customs be bad???

point me in the direction of this tomfoolery

i place my head in my hands and weep
shoulda linked it better. it’s about what the user said about the head tilt. never noticed how croosh the body proportions are

i don’t think it’s about the head tilt tbh
people were just nitpicking every single thing from those mugs

the mugs are gorgeous, yet the problem is the style really clashes with vanilla imo
maybe that’s why people hate that Serra and Louise mug

2 Likes

that whole forum is like that

i mean yes, i agree, style clash, which I do think is a type of problem, but I don’t think it’s the worst one to have if you’re unable to create your own portraits

4 Likes

Choppy portraits I can understand, almost everyone does this for free so I’m just happy with what I see/get. Style clashes aren’t the best, but still it’s not something that’s gonna turn me away… anymore, I grew up a bit.

If we’re talking the IS games, the move toward more generic supports and main character self inserts. Three houses was at least two steps forward, one step back toward more character focused writing, even if you played (@) (@) as your quote-unquote “Lord”

In the modding community? Hard to say, the fixation on FE8 maybe? Its got the most accessible tools for romhacking, but as a result a lot of the really important steps made by some of the more memorable hacks from the Nightmare and FE7 hacking era have mostly been drowned in the shuffle

(apologies, misunderstood the question… ah prophecy based plots. Chosen one stories are overplayed)

3 Likes

i’ve been replaying the gba games and the thing I forgot to dislke is the promotion of the Lords in a late gameplay where you literally have better units than the lord at Lv 20 (Looking at you Roy).

Some hacks give you the promotion item and then you have the choice of promote early or when is beneficial for the lord.

That’s what I dislike the most in any game or hack (If is story plot, then it has to be in the middle of the story, not so late like Roy’s).

1 Like

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate, please?

Off the top of my head, the twilight years of FE7 produced a skill system that was much, much different from the FE8 one, and a lot of individual “skills” separate from that system that were basically just ASM commands. The one that sticks out to me is a Duel skill that works like it does in TRS (the battle goes on until someone dies). IIRC there was also fourth army functionality that existed half a decade before the FE8 fourth army ASM was released.

However, the scene back then was even more disorganized than it is now, and almost all of these advancements are either 1. highly buggy and very incompatable with basically anything but itself, or, 2. never publicly released and never intended to be publicly released.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t know too much of fe hacking history, except from the occasional old post I look at.

I think this wouldn’t be too hard to add. Astra would probably be a good point of reference. However, this leads to potential softlocks. Say two units with Nosferatu are battling one another with perfect accuracy, armsthrift, and no crit / other factors that may end the battle early. You might be able to set up or accidentally encounter a situation where it goes on for an extremely long time, or even forever. This sort of skill should be avoided, imo, or given a hard limit of say 20 rounds of combat.

I want to say the scope and ambition really toned down once builder became the standard, not that massive games as far as content and features don’t currently come out, but something like Tactics Universe (for all its wrinkles) and tent-poles like Elibean Nights basically showed what could be done in the romhacking scene

But that was me missing the point of the question; I personally try to write stories where your “lord” is more of a New Hope Luke Skywalker, maybe there’s a hook to them that gives them a larger place in the story, but otherwise they are just a simple farm kid looking for adventure, and get a little tired of foretellings and legends and mythical swords and emblems marking wide eyed princes/princesses as the slayers of ancient gods and dragons

2 Likes

Making hacking more accessible means there will be more hacks - you had to be incredibly determined in the old days to get anything done. While I’d argue that the community’s priority has shifted towards completeness and gameplay as well, there’s going to be more stuff that’s less interesting as you see more things that were once novel become commonplace, but also because there’s more hacks being made in general that are visible.

There’s so much innovation happening right now - even since starting my own project 3 years ago there’s been an explosion of new ASM hacks that provide a ton of possibilities. The technical innovations are happening faster than people making games can implement them. That’s super cool imo.

15 Likes

If I have to choose between:

• Too many hacks, with lots of mediocre or average ones drowning out the huge blockbuster ones
    or
  • Very few hacks, with so few of the big blockbuster ones available that I can name all of them

I’ll choose option 1 any day of the week. I keep finding incredible 20+ chapter hacks just by clicking white-name links in the related topics at the bottom of posts (like here) and never stop getting shocked at finding hacks I didn’t even know were a thing. It’s like Christmas any time I get bored.

To be fair, I almost never play them, but I do post about them in various discords and get others to play them. I’m doing my part!

12 Likes

Really the only negative implication of option 1 is just there’s a greater importance on presentation for bringing in a crowd to play your hack because there’s a greater need for it to stand out to be noticed.

6 Likes