What is the most important facet of the Fire Emblem experience?

It’s only fair imho

We do send women and children to war

5 Likes

Geneva Convention? More like Geneva suggestion

8 Likes

The simplicity that (depending on the game) turns into complexity the more you look into it. Its easy to learn, hard to master.

Enemies with solid base stats and well thought weaponry.

3 Likes

This answer is fascinating because it’s a different take on the question.

I was (and many else in this thread) answering the question “What is the key facet which exists within the fire emblem games which makes them unique or enjoyable to you” or in other words “What is the essence of fire emblem?”

Your post however answers the question “What is the most important facet an FE game needs in order to be an enjoyable/positive experience for you.”

This interpretation fits within the realm of the thread title and op’s post quite well.

With this approach I agree with you 100%. The handling of enemy units has been possibly the single most deciding factor between the fire emblem games I have enjoyed and the ones I have felt dissatisfied with.

Thanks for unintentionally blowing my mind.

4 Likes

being able to make even the most irrelevant-looking character feel like the protagonist of the story

5 Likes

Losing an ironman to a 1% crit from an ambush spawn.

1 Like

For me I think the most important thing is the way character and gameplay intersect.

It’s Never the most pronounced aspect but I really adore it, It’s why I love the concept of personal skills, a little bit of character that seeps into gameplay.

I think this can also apply to class a unit’s class tells you about their character.

Another example is how FE6 Idunn is so weak, but especially to the binding blade, it adds both character to Roy and Idunn.

2 Likes

After closing my eyes and channeling a decade or two of FE memories, all I could see/hear were stats going up. So that.

And also the dopamine rubber band that is hearing the stat-up sound followed by “oh, HP, skill, and luck. cool.”

3 Likes

Maybe this isn’t exactly what you were looking for because my connection to these games is definitely more from a story standpoint than a gameplay standpoint (I don’t really do hard mode, challenge runs, etc.), but I think the individual focus on characters is the most essential defining trait.

These games have always toed the line when it comes to politics and none of them have ever been especially political beyond the inherent politics of “war is bad. maybe”, so I hesitate to say that any of them really have an “anti-war” perspective, but there is definitely something interesting and special created when the story revolves around war but the focus is on a small amount of individuals. A turn based strategy game with faceless units that you can haphazardly and unflinchingly send to their deaths doesn’t say much, but when they are named, bond with other characters, and you watch their development, that gives it a meaningful impact beyond gameplay.

In fact, the possibility that characters can, on occasion, die randomly regardless of player skill is probably the most significant argument for these games saying anything philosophical about war at all. Maybe I’m reading too deeply into it and there is no level of thematic intentionality, but if my interpretation is correct, the reality of minute chances dashing proper strategy rejects one of the most widespread notions about war: that it can be won with skill and righteousness.

There’s not much about Fire Emblem that I don’t love, but at the end of the day I think that’s what keeps me coming back to it and what I think is most distinct about it.

2 Likes

Horse riding simulator

1 Like

In regards to unit death, i’d say it’s mostly an aesthetic appeal. The original fire emblem was made with the idea that you wouldn’t reset in mind, with that fact being entirely fine as you were fighting a war-people will die, and you must continue on. It’s not really philosophical, though if you want to take that approach, FE5 is the closest you probably get to that where Leif commits almost every war crime in the book to counter a larger force doing the exact same. While the focus on characters is one of the defining traits of the franchise and is the entire reason it still exists, it really wasn’t a factor at all originally.

1 Like

Reseting one chapter 102981 times because your fav character dies every single time

You’re definitely right that it was originally an aesthetic appeal. I haven’t played every FE or enjoyed all of the ones that I have played equally, but the ones that personally stuck with me the most were the ones that expect you to carry on through character deaths, and that’s probably what I most enjoy about them.

1 Like

Backstory, traditional gameplay mechanics and the least but visually appealing nice character design. Those are mine tossed in.

1 Like

I despise alear’s because of the fact that I get reminded of toothpaste lol

1 Like

Difficulty praise papa kaga for making thracia and it’s predecessor known as the best FE installment ever

2 Likes

Did anyone say death parents yet?

1 Like

The key ingredient, a god whose gone mad to then get pacified.

1 Like

Fire Emblem