What is the most important facet of the Fire Emblem experience?

There are many different elements that make the fire emblem games fun and unique, and for many of us, our favourite game franchise, but which is most important to you? In my opinion, the mechanic of random unit growth rates is the most integral part of the Fire Emblem experience. Random growth rates make every run of a given game unique, and is arguably the basis of the idea that fire emblem is even a strategy game to begin with. Without unit growth, most of the interesting strategic choices a player can make for their given run are entirely stripped away, and the tools that the player is given are less flexible. What I mean by that is many other gameplay mechanics are only interesting because of the necessity of RNG. Without randomized growths, what interesting choices are there to make in regards to choosing promotions? Does the idea of having promotion items even matter if there isn’t an interesting choice to make regarding when a player does it? What real choice is there regarding use of statboosters if there isn’t any potential for chance to fix a unit’s problems? Does the map design even matter as much if there aren’t random and interesting team compositions for the player to approach them with every run? Can a player truly build a connection with a unit if their experience with it is the same as everyone else? Fixed growth rates can make a game more manageable on an initial playthrough, and 0% growths is an interesting and fun challenge once a player has experience with a given game, but I feel like the random aspect of the direction a playthrough takes is what largely gives the games value, as well as makes them fun, more than any other mechanic ever could. In my opinion, RNG, specfically regarding units, is what makes the Fire Emblem series fun and interesting, but I’m curious about all of your guy’s takes on the most important mechanic.

6 Likes

frustration

15 Likes

War crimes

3 Likes

axes

Post must be at least 5 characters.

4 Likes

Perma death. Not that it’s mandatory for a pleasant experience but it sure does raise the stakes and allows for a more natural “nuzlock” playstyle aka iron man which is something i feel like the pokemon series shoulda had by now, that and hard mode lol.

But Rng is up there as well, fe is one of the most random srpgs I’ve found which leads down to a lot of frustration but also clutch moments. It allows for different interpretations of units stat wise, role wise etc. like maybe you have an amazing neimi (borderline impossible but idunno maybe lol) which leads to neimi being your fav “bad unit” etc. It’s like DnD where replayability is infinite or at least very encouraged.

11 Likes

Fire Emblem can’t be reduced down to specific elements that make it Fire Emblem.

2 Likes

For me, flexibility and adaptability make Fire Emblem what it is. You can have different experiences depending on which classes you take with you, and the player often reacts to new enemies spawning and map conditions. It’s a bit like Conway’s Game of Life, except player choices can affect how the game develops.

For me, playing Fire Emblem ends up being a game about decision making and guiding units through interesting situations.

7 Likes

Restarting a 30 minute map for the 5th time and thinking “wow, this should not be possible” followed by the elation of beating it eventually. Never gets old.

And then replaying the entire game completing every map optimally as possible for the full circle feeling.

4 Likes

unprompted wars

2 Likes

game feel.

I think of FE as a nurturing game like Princess Maker.
It is a game where you enjoy seeing the characters you have worked so hard to raise become strong and active.
If you don’t know what Princess Maker is, just think of it like farming.
It is like harvesting crops that you have painstakingly sown and nurtured.
Well, business is the same.

The tactical part is how to make that nurtured character work.
I think the best part of FE is that you become attached to the characters because of the addition of the cultivation part, and you play so as not to let them die.

And the stories add depth to the characters.

Therefore, what is important is the conduit that leads the player to develop the character.
A character is just data, and status is just a variable stored in RAM.
Adding stories, etc. to it creates the illusion that the player finds it endearing.

10 Likes

For me I’m very open to new mechanics, however I have to say that when the gameplay-story integration is on point like in Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn or Echoes then I am having a fantastic time, independently of whether some mechanics are better than others.
That, coupled with solid character interactions.

9 Likes

I have stuff
Need get stuff to over there
Dang it, i have to spend resources to move the stuff
Reset
Reset
Reset
Yay, I moved the stuff.

Also blue/red hair dude/dudett slays a dragon/demon

2 Likes

The most important facet is Shozou Kaga’s greatest invention: Shipping.
Side note, why tf does Engage not have paired endings besides Pepsi/Colgate? Darn celebration instalment isn’t even celebrating the series most well known feature smh my head my head

2 Likes

when the head shaking is so hard you gotta do it three times…

Also, someone may read my post and think “isn’t that just a bridge building simulator?” to whom I say “Yes, yes it is. FE gameplay is just bridge building with some extra steps.”

4 Likes

Oh I’d like to add another one: Innovation,

There hasn’t been any fe game that feels the same as the ones before it, even if they come from the same console, there’s always things added and changed. For an example think of how daggers work

They way they work in fe9-10- fates - engage are completely different. This randomness makes fe such an interesting series and keeps things fresh for players

1 Like

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women

4 Likes

can we crush the women and the children too

2 Likes

In my opinion the 4 most important ascpects of Fire Emblem are:

• Permadeath, ironmanability, dynamic storytelling, whatever you wanna call it.
    It’s a major thing that differenciates it from other tactical rpgs, and honestly the main thing that made me fall in love with this series

• RNG, random (but predictable) outcomes.
    What’s more interesting, always winning for sure, or having to adapt to circumstances when shit the fan? Nothing is certain on a real battlefield, so why should it be on a virtual one?

• Characters. Be it a cute girl, a funny bandit, or a big bulky armorknight. FE’s characters are all different and fun enough to a degree where some people will use weaker units just because they like the character more.

• Resource management. Wars are not merely fought on the battlefield, but also in a logistical warehouse, or a caravan. Having limited resorces and learning to use them correctly is a point so central to warfare, balance, and immersion. After all, would Leifs guerilla warfare campaign not feel off if you weren’t constantly fighting for every scrap of money and equipment?

3 Likes

No. The fuck is the matter with you??