What 'bad' units do you like using in FE?

I personally love using Valbar from FE Echoes. He always gets me through the physical side of Celicas maps without fail and that side is usually what is present in the maps where nonfliers have low movement anyways.

1 Like

For every FE game I have played:

FE2: most of the characters on Celica’s route. (Looking at you Boey)

FE4: Alec, Arden, Lester and most of the substitute characters

FE5: Marty, Cain, Alva, Dalsin

FE6: Roy, Sophia, Wolt

FE7: Nino, Lowen, Florina

FE8: Ewan, Amelia, Artur

FE9: Ilyana, Oscar, Marcia, Elincia, Rolf

FE10: Meg, Fiona, Gareth

FE11: Gordin, Bantu, Darros, Bord, Cord

FE12: Warren, Yumina, Yubello, Cecile, Rody, Luke

FE1: Wendell. But I guess Wendell is a good unit compared to Wrys or Lena on this game.

FE2: Lukas. Compared to Forsyth or any other villager, Lukas is pretty bad.

FE3: Sheena. Comes very late and it’s a pain to train her (maybe even worse than training Est), but I like to use her because she’s the only female General.

FE4 Gen. 1: Alec, Noish and Midir. All of them are bad if they don’t have a special weapon.

FE4 Gen. 2: Corple and Patty. Corple arrives very late and can’t use weapons, Patty can’t kill enemies without help. But I still like to use them. Patty can be improved if his dad is Holyn (Lunar Sword), and Corple is a good healbot with Fortify and Physic.

FE5: Ronan. Very low Str growth, but the 15% of doing another action is very good. And scrolls can make any bad unit good, so there’s that.

FE6: Sophia and Niime. I’m a sucker for dark magic.

FE7: Bartre and Karla. The former to recruit the later, and I like that couple.

FE8: Dozla. I think he’s the worse unit of the game, but I like his supports.

FE9: Rolf and Ilyana. Both are considered bad, but they end up being good for me.

FE10: Oliver. Who doesn’t like his battle theme?

FE11: The generic units. I made some runs only using generic units and it was fun.

FE12: Etzel. The only “Druid” in the game and I use him because of that.

FE13: Flavia, I guess. All units are good in this game, and that makes it less fun.

FE14: Izana. I hated his representation in the localization, in the fan translation it was more bearable and likeable.

FE15: Mycen. Not as bad as in Gaiden, but still bad by this game’s standards. I just like to use him, I don’t know why.

FE16: Cyril. Almost everyone hate him and say that he’s bad, but he can be a very strong Wyvern Knight. Also, I love his supports and ending with Lysithea, very bittersweet.

Oh boy I have much to say, into the cut we go!

Loads o’ Text/Rambling

FE1/11: WRYYYYYYYYYYYYS! I have fond memories of Wrys nat capping his Res in FE11 and laughing as Gharnef gets walled doing 0 damage to him in Chapter 14. Funniest shit ever. Bantu is my dude and always will be, old man dragon go! I also enjoy Darros a great deal.

FE2/15: Does Deen count? He’s hilariously redundant with Saber and Kamui, but not actually a bad unit per se. Other than that I had fun with Delthea. Clive is fantastic as a character in the remake but I’ve never managed to salvage him as a unit.

FE3/12: Wrys and Bantu make their return, and I suppose Darros still qualifies as well? 12 in particular has a cast beyond bloated with subpar characters. I kind of like Warren, too. Does Etzel count?

FE4: MAH BOI ARDEN ALL THE WAY! He is the greatest and you haven’t lived if you haven’t seen Arden’s Battle on the Big Bridge. Also a fan of Dew and Lester.

FE5: I was a big fan of Ronan even before Mekkkah made him cool. For some reason, he always gets blessed in my playthroughs and becomes a pillar of the team. I also have an unhealthy need to try making Lara a viable combat unit prior to her secret Dancer promo. I’ve also attempted Selfina, but didn’t make it, multiple empty levels did her no favors.

FE6: I’ll be the first to admit I’m not very knowledgeable of who’s good or bad in this one. Likely suspects I enjoy include Gwendolyn, Bartre, and Fir.

FE7: Bartre returns and brings his pal Dorcas along for twice the shitty axeman fun! Dorcas is so great as a character I can’t help it. Same goes for Nino, who I just can’t not feed and make smol child a vicious tornado.

FE8: Ewan is my dude. As this is probably my least favorite in the series, I have no idea who besides him counts or I even remember if I used.

FE9: I hear Mia, my favorite Tellius character, is supposedly this in FE9, but I’ve never seen her perform poorly, so I press X to doubt. Hell, Zihark is usually the one who screws the pooch for me with Skill sauce and even empty levels. I also greatly enjoy using Mist.

FE10: Tormod gang till the day I die. Mist returns here as well, and I can’t help but like Nolan and Pelleas.

FE13: Is… is anyone actually “bad” in this game? Maybe Anna? If so, she’s my favorite, so yeah. Seems fine to me though, I think it’s impossible to be “bad” in Awakening.

FE14: Rather not even think about this game right now to be honest. I guess Felicia and Arthur were among my most used but probably not that good in general.

FE16: Only character I’ve yet used who almost became bad was Ignatz. Operative word being “almost”, as making him a Dancer was the biggest salvage of my FE career. Everyone else has been great so far.

2 Likes

I’d say Mia but I’ve only technically used her once, I just like her.

I guess my real answer is Bantu, he’s bad but I actually think he’s rather useful in FE11, he does good single-hit damage for the time he joins. I’ve also used him throughout the majority of FE3 Book 1, game is easy and because of how dragons work he’s decent enough. He’s pretty tanky and dragon breath ignores defense. Also FE1 has the manakete defense glitch which is neat.

1 Like

Hicks. In my first run of Thracia, I had no intention of using him. However, I lost Brighton in the Manster escape. In chapter 7, Hicks, alongside Dalsin, fought off the waves of cavaliers with the poleaxe. He got some stellar levels, so I kept him around. He ended up capping everything. Everything. And the only scroll he ever got was the skill one, too. That’s when he became one of my favorites in Thracia.

Eventually, this led up to another run where I used him, and… well. Take a look, everyone. Probably my favorite moment of all my time playing FE.

Matthis. I’ve long liked him as a character, and every time I use him it seems he’s determined to thank me for it. This one time I was playing Shadow Dragon, and complained to a friend that Matthis had good stats in everything but speed.

As if he’d heard me, Matthis proceeded to get speed in every one of his levels until he capped. Then he one-shot Camus with a forged ridersbane, and one-rounded Michalis with a regular silver lance. Good times.

Wrys in FE11 tanks Gharnef in chapter 14 every time. He’s too much fun. I’m certainly glad I took him with me.

Lot. I suppose you could consider him bad, but I love how defensive he is for a fighter. Once I was doing an ironman run of FE6 on hard. I lost something like 36 units. You know who I didn’t lose? Lot the invincible, with huge speed and defense and good resistance. He was never in danger of dying. Ever. Any time I encountered a slightly troublesome situation, the solution was always to throw Lot at it. He carried my run in ways that Perceval could never have dreamed to.

Hanneman. Yeah, sure, no speed, but ever since I laid eyes on his design, I thought “yep, there’s my favorite character in the game”. I’ve used him in all my Three Houses runs, no exception. Admittedly, there aren’t that many - I’ve only finished the game once. But I’d use him every time if I actually liked his game. So that counts, I guess.

Deviating a bit from FE, Berwick Saga’s Derrick is one of the funniest meme characters I’ve seen. The game literally hands you a generic knight. He’s glorious. At some point I have to try having him kill the final boss.

1 Like

Mareeta is a definitely favorite of mines.

Excellent, I’m not the only one who has Wrys wall Gharnef! It’s hilarious every single time.

Tfw someone describes Oscar as a “bad unit” in FE9. Bruh.

Anyways, my list:

FE4 Gen 1: Alec is my boi.

FE4 Gen 2: Finn. Even though he’s been passed up in terms of usefulness by the child units, I still gotta keep him with me until the endgame.

FE5: Robert, Ronan, Miranda.

FE6: Igrene, Hugh, Zeiss.

FE7: Wil, Wallace, Isadora.

FE8: Knoll.

FE9: Rolf, Mist, Makalov.

FE10: Meg, Oliver, Tormod, Makalov, Danved.

FE11/12: Starlight Wrys all the way, fam. Dracoknight Matthis, Roger, Radd, Vergil.

FE16: Ashe. I’ve had people tell me that Ashe is bad, but every playthrough he fuckin’ slaps.

1 Like

due to my love of armor knights i plan to use all of them even if they suck but my standout favorite bad one to use so far is meg

https://www.twitch.tv/gabethegreen/clip/NurturingAlluringRhinocerosSoonerLater?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time (footage on hard mode)

FE6: Wendy, Lot, Gonzales, Lilina (although I think she’s not bad, but I seem to be in the minority)
FE7: Isadora, Wallace
FE8: Ross, Syrene
Fates: Odin, Selena, Arthur
Echoes: Jesse, Est, Valbar, Python (do Lukas and Forsythe count?)

Last I heard his performance as a unit talked about, Wendell’s considered one of the best magic users in FE1, actually, thanks to the Bishop class’s obscene base Speed and Weapon Level. 14 base Speed in Chapter 5 of a game with a universal cap of 20 and a follow-up threshold of just one more point of speed than the opponent is pretty damn great. Not to mention that, straight out of the box, Wendell can use every single tome or staff that isn’t locked to another character. He’s got a lot more going for him in FE1 than you might expect.

As for myself, I like using all the trainees in FE8, for one thing.

Other highlights from various games include Nino, Atlas, Lyn (do people still consider Lyn bad? I guess she’s a special case since her status as a Lord puts pressure on the player to use her anyway), Radd, Roshea, Donnel… Arden, too, who I started genuinely liking out of spite for all the people who were super down on him for being the Tempest Trial reward instead of Ayra waaay back when he got added to FEH.

1 Like

Lyn I feel like is bad depending on her growths. If she gets good str growths then she’s badass. otherwise it’s not good. I would say the same for Eliwood/Roy, but they are garbage regardless…

FE5: Marty Party, Tanya
FE6: Sue (moved rebecca lol)
FE7: Rebecca
FE8: Trainees I guess, but they always end up good.
FE9: Mia, Boyd, Oscar
Echoes: Boey, Valbar
Fates: omegalul
3H: Cyril in all routes, Ashe.

tbh we should do another thread that’s the opposite of this. Popular Units you hate/don’t use for x reasons.

You mean Wolt?

1 Like

I think even characters with poor growth will be used if they have a personality.
For example, a dancer has poor growth, but is used because of the dancer’s specialties.

I think the thief, units with AID and high mobility, or units with high leadership-stars will also be used, even if they have a poor growth rate, if they have a special skill that is unique.

Of course, being a “good-looking unit” is part of unit’s personality, too.
The unit that is loved by the player will be used, even if it has a bad growth rate.

When I playing FE3, I used to growths Dancer’s Fina in the orb, and have a Mercurius Sword, and defeat the last boss.
If you give her an orb and dance for about 300 turns, all parameters will be the strongest. lol.

1 Like

I adore Samto from a personality standpoint. He may be a bad unit, but he’s confident and knows how to talk and sway a crowd. Is it strange to say I admire him because of that?

I’m a big fan of the substitutes from FE4, and I guess all of them count as bad units in their own ways. But my personal favorite is Creidne/Radney, with Mana/Muirne second, both of whom are much more interesting characters than the kids they replace imo.

Marty has a special place in my heart. When I was working at summer camp last year, I told stories about him to the kids in our down-time. My favorite one will always be the abridged version of Chapter 7x where Marty dramatically bursts through a wall and instantly takes down Gomez the invincible and captures him in one blow with the sheer force of his Constitution stat. These kids grew to love Marty and some of them even asked me to write a skit about him for them to perform.

7 Likes

The Generic Villager would count for FE 13 as bad, then again he’s a complete joke character. Iirc, you need to continuously fail a certain save all villager map in order to recruit one.

1 Like

What? Donnel is recruited by getting him to level up at least once in his paralogue.

Not him. Donnel isn’t the Generic Villager with Negative Growths.