(VERY EXPERIMENTAL) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Randomizer v.05

In all honesty, I was considering waiting to post this here until I got this to a more workable state, but I figured I might as well.

Radiant Dawn Randomizer v.05

What does it do?

The RD randomizer currently randomizes NTSC ROMs of Radiant Dawn v1.01, up to the end of Part 1 (it shouldn’t be difficult at all to implement for future parts, I’m just doing this one thing at a time.) It currently randomizes:

• Character bases/growths
  • Class bases/growths
  • Character classes
  • Item stats
    With more options to be implemented in the future. As it stands, characters are currently assigned the “base” weapon of whatever they can use (Irons, base tomes, etc.) though this doesn’t work 100% of the time due to a known bug. I also plan on adding more weapon variety, hopefully.

Bugs?

Unfortunately, there are several at this point that I’m aware of, and am currently working through:

• As previously noted, base weapon assignment only works properly if the character in question has more than one weapon at base. This shouldn’t be too difficult to fix.
  • Any characters assigned Laguz classes that weren’t Laguz previously don’t have properly incrementing transformation gauges. This is linked to a skill and will be fixed in the future.
  • Some random enemies just have weird unusable tomes or something. I have no idea what causes this, but I’m still looking into it.

Source

The current project build can be found here. I plan on making a proper executable at some point, but right now, Python files are what you get. I also did a badly narrated test playthrough of a couple chapters the other day, which can be found here.

If you do end up randomizing your own game despite the randomizer’s current instability, good luck and have fun, lol.

12 Likes

Mother of god…

3 Likes

That’s crazy, nicely done.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks!

Also minor update to the Github- I added more comprehensive instructions for how to randomize your own ROM if you’re brave enough to, and fixed that pesky secondary weapon bug. Still working on offering a wider variety of randomized base weapons- the way Radiant Dawn handles weapon proficiency handling/checking internally has got to be the most unintuitive thing ever, so it might be a while.

To my understanding, transformation gauge gains/losses for laguz characters are determined by the 4 bytes before the character’s base stats. So you could potentially even randomize the gains and losses per turn and battle.

Oh wow, you’re right; I didn’t notice that at all the first time. If that’s what’s causing transformation gauges to not normally work, then it shouldn’t be that hard to properly assign/randomize them.

Not sure if you’re aware of this or not, but I’ll just put this here. Maybe it’ll help you or anyone else interested.

Oh yeah, that’s what I’ve been using as a resource thus far. I also have a more detailed research document located here based off of that thread, if anyone is interested!
In terms of program updates, I’ve added proper transformation gauge assignment as well as a rudimentary HTML table generator, in case you want to keep track of who’s been randomized to what.

Some fun update screenshots: