The issues IMO with the mechanics and gameplay of the GBA FE Games

Even in the easier games you usually see people preferring to take out enemy Generals with anti-armor weaponry/magic. You’ll only see people rolling over armor units with non-effective or non-magic weaponry if they’re either A. unpromoted armors, in which case who cares, or B. using a unique and very powerful weapon, in which case they’re using a strong weapon for it’s intended purpose.

As for the broader question of raising the value of DEF and RES, whether it’s good or not is really a matter of opinion. But I suspect if you were to poll fans of the series and ask them if they prefer 1-rounding the average enemy or 2-rounding the average enemy, a lot more people would say they prefer 1-rounding.

4 Likes

I agree it wouldn’t be fair if a player had a unit with high Str and they couldn’t defeat a unit with high Def, I’m not saying one should make it so a player couldn’t defeat a Knight class with a powerful weapon, but It should be harder then it is now by making Def or Res a more useful stat then the might of a weapon.

Might of weapons is what make Armor Knight defense so easy to breakthrough, the only way the MT could be countered is wiith an equipable shield.

Armour units are bulky enough in FE6 as enemies, but at the same time weapon uses for armour slaying weapons aren’t so plentiful that you want to spam them whenever you can. You’re unlikely to be ORKOing them without one, especially bosses. I agree that they probably die too easily and trivially in FE7 and FE8. Although that’s probably down more to their low level and lack of urgency to kill them than anything else, reducing your incentive to take out effectives for them. I don’t think enemy defences need to be raised from, say, FE6’s level. Otherwise the game will become too much of a slog like FE9 Maniac Mode. Player defences for Generals could use with an increase I suppose though. Whether that be an increase on their cap or some other boost. Even just +5 defence would probably be enough as well as perhaps a HP cap boost. I don’t think nerfing weapon Might or player/enemy Strength would be the right answer however, if anything weapon Might could use with an increase.

Silver weapons having 10 uses is something that’s going to cause a lot of complaints in the future, if you double that only gives you 5 enemies to use it against. This just causes the game to play out pretty slowly if you have to fight enemies beefier on HP with Steels or Irons for a reliable kill. Silvers are already balanced on the basis of 20 or 25 uses, limited supply and high price. No need to fix what isn’t broken there. I think a lot of your issues pertain to FE7 or FE8 because of their low enemy offences and levels but not to FE6. FE6 is without a shadow of a doubt the GBA game with the most depth in its gameplay.

3 Likes

There isn’t a gold standard for FE right now, all of them are bad in there own way, Fates and Echoes/Gaiden is the closest IMO however.

I’m saying the important bosses aren’t dangerous enough like Ashnard, Idunn, Veld, Raydrik, Julius, The Black Knight (in RD because of Nihil), Zephiel etc.

I forgot about the uses in Fates for staves, the uses for festals are too high IMO.

This is what is bad about Echoes:

• Awful map design, open fields, only one chokepoint, or desert/swamp maps. Repetitive due to having to play on the same maps over and over again too.

• 95% of the objectives are route, the most boring and padded out objective.

• Dungeons are samey as far as aesthetics go, truck controls, and not much to do. Also its pretty stupid how you can’t save at all during the postgames dungeon and you have to memorize positions of where your party will be during battles.

• Reinforcements on the world map are very annoying, since it pressures you to just the entire route in one go. Makes things like forging and promoting very annoying to go backtrack for.

• Cantors are awful

• Its very easy for the most part, and any time it tries to be hard it just comes off as tedious like cantor spam or the ridiculously inflated stats in Thabes

• Overall it feels like a slog to play

• Even with the low number of classes its still unbalanced. Dread Fighters are by far the best physical class with Falcos coming in second.

• CGi cutscenes look bad and cheap compared to Awakening/Fates

• UI is a step back. No minimap on the bottom screen, standard battle forecast looks worse and the stats have tiny text, less camera options during battle animations, no ability to turn on/off individual character animations, and inventory displays every individual item instead of grouping them.

• Poor replayability. The cast is small due to being split up into two so there’s not many different choices for a party and there’s not much you can do differently on a second run besides picking different villager classes and the Deen/Sonya choice.

• Brave Sword is THE most broken weapon of all time

Brave Sword is THE most broken weapon of all time

I think you meant the Killer Bow. Hunter’s Volley + Long range is a hell of a drug, and it’s much scarier on Bow Knights.

2 Likes

I was talking about gameplay wise Echoes is close to the gold standard, and not as much as Fates, also how is the game a slog to playthrough when you have OP invoke and Mila’s Turnwheel, Dread Fighters, Brave Swords, and Zweihander plus Tigerstance? I think that would be easy and not slog gameplay.

see what I said ^
FE9 Lunatic Ashnard and FE9 black knight are two of the worst designed bosses in all of FE for this specific reason. They don’t take any damage, deal too much damage, take too long to take down, and in the case of the BK, might just luck you anyway with a Luna/Crit. And this is assuming you’ve trained Ike into a one man army, if not, good luck even getting through the fight with Ashnard. FE10 BK is a situation where you have to have 1 specific unit fight. If the player hasn’t trained them strong enough to actually win, you’re softlocked. If the player made them OP, it’s a cake walk. This is why 1v1 matches are terrible in a game like this unless it’s in a fully controlled environment where you will 100% have a chance to both win and lose the fight.

4 Likes

Well my Fates Upgraded Xander fight is similar to The Black Knight fight on Lunatic and I don’t find that battle bad, the difference is you can lower the difficulty and/or farm EXP if you aren’t strong enough to beat Xander as for the BK in PoR, the fight is good for what it is, and you basically have zero risk of dying if Mist can heal a very powerful Ike, beating him on the other hand is up to luck.

And by dangerous I mean they can’t kill the player’s units unless the player recklessly attacks without healing them, dealing high damage doesn’t matter because the units (like Ike for instance) can always be healed by a physic user, which a player should have if they aren’t reckless.

How do I lower difficulty mid chapter? Mid playthrough? It’s not a thing in FE9. Nor would that fix the innate problem. Farm exp on what? The bishops that show up to heal the black knight and or attack mist? Did you forget about them in that fight?

BK: Level 20 w/ Ragnell (Same Stats regardless of mode)
60 HP
30 Str
17 Mag
30 Skl
27 Spd
11 Lck
30 +5 Def
22 Res

Pow: 48
Hit: 156
Crit: 25
Avo: 65
Dodge: 11

Renewal, Luna

Ike: Level 20 (On Average) w/ Ragnell
51 HP
26 Str
10 Mag
27 Skl
28 Spd
19 Lck
23 +5 Def
17 Res

Pow: 44
Hit: 158
Crit: 23 (If S rank swords, 18 otherwise)
Avo: 75
Dodge: 19

Let's assume no skills before getting into those.

BK vs Ike
60 vs 51
20 vs 9
81 vs 93
6  vs 12/7
x1 vs x1

It will take BK 3 hits to kill Ike, it will take Ike 10 hits (assuming you attack every single turn, otherwise it’s even longer) for Ike to kill BK. That’s nonsense. This is ignoring the fact that an attack will do 34 damage 15% of the time (Luna), which speeds up Ike losing this fight. Remember that this means you have (ignoring offensive skills), you have 5 turns at minimum to defeat him, and auto fail at the end of turn 6.

Give Ike some skills, sure, that’s the solution! Well not quite. Aether will heal back 9 damage and deal 26 damage 13.5% of the time. That’s not very much given, again, you’re dealing with someone dealing 20 damage 92.97% of the time because FE9 is a double RN system for hit rates. Nihil+Wrath! That should do it! Well sort of, it’s the riskier strategy. Wrath will increase that crit rate to 62/57 once Ike’s HP drops below 50%, which means he needs to eat 2 hits form BK to even activate. Nice! Now you have a 62% chance to do… 27 damage. Sounds like Aether all over again. And you need to stay this low to keep up your high crit rate, meaning by healing Ike you lose Wrath and by not, he just dies! Woo!

Now, let’s tack on the reinforcements.

Goodie. Now you need to waste turns fighting the bishops so they don’t heal the BK and the halberdier so he doesn’t kill mist (because WTA and an average of 10 defense at 20/20).

All this amounts of relying 100% on luck to even get through this mess of a chapter. Sure, the first time you achieve victory, you feel accomplished. However, once you do it a second time, you realize how bullshit it is. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to redo all of chapter 27 because I didn’t end up killing BK. Nor can I count how many times I said screw it, give me Ena, and lost the fight. The fact that you have an option to retreat is proof enough that even the devs though “ok maybe this fight is bullshit”.

5 Likes

I was saying Fates allows the difficulty to be lowered and farming for EXP if you aren’t for example ready to battle Xander/Ryoma, and the Black Knight in PoR is annoying to beat and dangerous, but he is dangerous and that’s the point, a boss being dangerous is what makes them a good boss.

If you have some way to deal with the boss other than ‘throw Ike at it and pray for Aether procs’, yeah. There’s no real decision making involved in fighting the Black Knight in FE9, it’s just hoping Ike has good enough stats and good enough RNG to win. Fire Emblem combat is about deciding what unit(s) to use where and with which weapons - in the BK fight ‘Ike, the BK’s face, Ragnell’ is all already decided for you.

I personally enjoyed that fight anyway just purely from the story side, but it’s not good design from a gameplay perspective.

7 Likes

Yup. I am 100% not ashamed of savestating before the Burger King fight; that whole thing was suuuuuper BS. The closest thing to strategy in that segment was deciding whether or not to slap a Sonic Sword on Mist.

1 Like

Are you assuming Fire Emblem was ever good?

4 Likes

W-w-w-what? No! Of course not! Every FE fan knows that Rule #1 of being an FE fan is that you must not like Fire Emblem, b-b-b-baka!

4 Likes

Fire Emblem was good in…eh, I personally think FE9,FE11 and the first two maps of fates? Maybe throw in the stories of fe6 and fe8 in there too.(Even tho FE6 is actually dreadful to play because of thrones. even erasing ambushspawns cannot save that bossdesign)

1 Like

Rutger exists.

1 Like

Cries in my Rutger always getting RNG screwed

1 Like