Tell me your FE _____ takes

you’d be surprised

Hot takes be like that a lot of times

1 Like

My hot take is hot take posts are extremely stupid and only result in either an echo chamber or a flame war. Also, half the time people’s “hot takes” are as cold as ice or blatantly wrong.

21 Likes

Not sure how hot these takes are but i wanted to post whatever came to mind

Everything
  • Shadow Dragon hard 5 is peak fire emblem, and the Archanea Characters are highly underrated
  • FE6 is by far the best GBAFE game, and Project Ember was trash
  • Lower growths are more fun than high growths
  • FE3 Is laughably easy and overrated, its okay in all but gameplay
  • Kaga has good Ideas with bad implementation
  • Grinding was a mistake
  • Fire Emblem is meant to be played as an Ironman, and is just way too easy if not played this way
  • FE6 style Hit rates are best because they make hit actually matter
  • FE10’s split up parties were fun and i wanna see it return
  • FEH is shit but the character art is nice
  • Growth altering items/reclass is great and we should see more of it
  • FE12 has the worst map design in the series (granted i haven’t played 3H yet) and it ruins what would’ve otherwise been a 10/10 game. Also Kris isn’t nearly as bad as people give him/her credit for
2 Likes

Ya not completely sure what I expected, half of these are “game people like/dont like bad/good”

there is such a thing as having opinions but this

this draws the line
this is no longer an opinion

it’s a flamethrower

1 Like

Please explain which ones of these you disagree with, doesn’t have to be a long explanation, i’m just genuinely curious

(Meant to be an reply to theghostcreator)

2 Likes

1: hard five was not balanced imo
2: a matter of taste
3: I prefer THE DINGS over silence
6: what about the casuals?
7: fire emblem maps are usually designed around the player having any number of units, in my opinion, the intended difficulty of these games are best reflected in no death runs where players choose what units they want to use with a mix of good and bad units
8: it doesn’t feel good to miss anything 50 and over then proceed to be hit by 40- hits, also you shouldn’t have to plan your strategy around luck IMO
10: I mean, it’s extremely generous with orbs for the first half a year of playing in my experience and it gives you at least one or two orbs free daily
11: a matter of opinion.

1 Like

Y… You do realize this is an opinion thread, right??? Why even point out that something is “a matter of opinion”?

1 Like

it’s more so that I can’t explain why I disagree without writing a thesis that sounds more pretentious than a 13 year old atheist explaining religion

also I hate the fact that I understand your username

2 Likes

Literally false. Fire Emblem is meant to be reset if you need to save a member of your army. This was said by the developers. That’s the very reason all the lords are goody-two-shoes who go out of their way to help everyone they can.

1 Like

Now that’s a lot of takes that I disagree with, but to each their own.

But I do agree with FE10’s split up parties being fun, growth altering items/reclass and somewhat with Fire Emblem should be played as an Ironman.

I think that playing it as a semi Ironman (resetting only if you actually get a game over and not simply because of your units died) is good way to go about it. But if people want to reset for their favorite unit dying or for a random scrub that they are never going to use, that is fine too.

2 Likes
  1. Yeah it wasn’t, but I’d still argue Hard 5 could be a bit harder, if you’re gonna have 5 difficulties you should have larger differences between them. What i will agree on is that the first 3 bosses could have their speed lowered a bit.
  2. Fair
  3. I too like THE DINGS, but having 8 of them each level makes them not be something to get excited over, if you have a low growths but get lucky with levels THE DINGS are that much more enjoyful. Also if everyone is super good it kinda makes them feel the same gameplay wise. This is what i didn’t like about hacks like Souls of the Forrest and Justice and Pride Gaiden for example
  4. Failing will make them actually better at the game at a much faster pace than going through it in a breeze. Even then it is hard to softlock yourself to a point where the game is literally unbeatable. But even then easy difficulties exist for a reason, grinding just wastes your time.
  5. In my experience you have 15 character slots at most, and if none of your characters will ever die you won’t get to experience most of the cast. Having no deaths really eases up the game, since all your experience is concentrated on a few specific units. Having units die also makes the whole story of you actually fighting a war more believeable. There is a huge difference between blazing through Zephiel with everyone alive or barely making it to the throneroom with half of what you started and finally beating him.
  6. You have plenty of tools to mitigate the low hit chances in fe6 specifically, so low hit helps you more than it hurts you. But more generally speaking if you have 100 hit regardless of what weapon you use why even have hit at all? FE6 was the only game where i actually found myself using slim weapons because of their +10 hit over iron weapons, and where i actually somewhat cared about getting skill level ups
  7. Gacha game. Way too small maps. Doesn’t feel like real fire emblem to me
  8. Fair
2 Likes

you make good arguments, if I wasn’t stubborn you may have even swayed my opinion

1 Like

I mean i’m pretty sure they were originally designed to be played without resetting since in the original NES maps took days to play so Kaga didn’t really expect players to replay it all again because a character died, but yeah nowadays IS doesn’t designed their games like that anymore. Still at no point in the games is there any mention of resetting if anyone dies/ encouraging the player to save everyone other than people being completionists (At least that I can think of, I don’t usually go visit every house for dialogue)

2 Likes

It’s not encouraged in game, as in, you won’t find an NPC telling you to reset if someone dies. But, the developers said resetting was their idea when making the game.

I feel it warrants reminding everyone that the Fire Emblem playerbase is not at all a monolith, and certain takes may be “hot” in some circles, but popular opinion in others.

That said, for lack of any universal definition for a “hot” take, I’ll just share some of my more controversial or unusual Fire Emblem takes:

• FE1 is unironically a good game. Its main flaws, in my opinion, boil down largely to slow and clunky control feel. There are some wonky design choices in there (Medeus’ defenses make it way easier than it should be to softlock in the final chapter, unless magic can hurt him at melee range), but for the most part it’s a really solid and retroactively very interesting and unique installment.
  • This is actually an opinion I hold of games in general, but it’s certainly very pertinent to Fire Emblem: I get a lot more enjoyment out of games that are designed and balanced in a way that’s interesting and expressive versus games that, say, are balanced to make all or most characters, weapon types, etc. roughly equal in viability and potential applications. It’s part of why I mentioned some months back in the Discord server that I don’t mind Knights having lower Movement; it adds character to the class and makes things interesting, even if it results in those units being worse.
  • Sort of an extension of the above, I don’t think Fire Emblem, or any game, needs to be designed around (i.e. “designed under the assumption of”) optimal or high-level play on the player’s part. It’s okay to include things that are useless to that playstyle if they add to the game in other ways.
  • I’m not really sure how much these are really separate takes as much as different sides of one big, multifaceted supertake, but I actually strongly prefer that Fire Emblem have units that span a wide range of, I guess… performance quality? That, too, can be an aspect of expressing a unit’s character. Not every unit needs to be an Ogma, or a Palla. It’s okay to have some Vylands and Macellans in there, too, for variety.

These have been rather long… so, here are some shorter ones:

• The stat scaling of FEs 1, 3, and 5 was good actually and makes each individual point in a given stat much more meaningful.
  • Magic really doesn’t need to be split into more categories than “Tomes / Black Magic” and “Staves / White Magic”.
  • Handing out Prfs like candy is unnecessary as a way of differentiating characters and I’m not a fan of how it interacts with the elements of choosing who to give which resources to. Looking at you, Fire Emblem Heroes.
2 Likes

Was not expecting this answer. XD

1 Like

your hot takes truly are the most painful to read

1 Like

I’m gonna take that as a compliment.

1 Like