Sonic FE, because I don't have a title yet [Tactile]

I am developing a Sonic x FE fangame, made with the Tactile engine. I wanted to make this project because I like both Sonic and Fire Emblem, but foremost, because I wanted to use Terra Battle music lol. It is still a very early work in progress, but I’ve recently become motivated to work on it again, enough to be able to show some progress.

No playable release yet as it’s very early, but hopefully soon I will have one for you.

The premise is that Eglane is preparing for war against Spagonia. Cream, from Eglane, is currently studying in Spagonia, so her mother secretly hires a small time mercenary group to recover her before the war begins.

Everything here is subject to change!

Writing

There will be an emphasis on character interaction, so expect lots of base conversations and talks! Gone are the days of all character development for the supporting cast being stuck in 3 short supports.

This means that there more be more dialogue than usual, so feel free to skip the stuff if you want.

There will also be swearing, but I really like swearing. Not Crowe levels, but it’s there. There will also be some dark themes, something the Sonic franchise has never shied away from, so be prepared for that!

Gameplay Changes
  • There is no limit to supports, but support bonuses are severely reduced, as is the support bonus range.

• Criticals do 2x instead of 3x. Some weapons will allow 3x damage.

• Effectiveness is 2x, most noticeable against fliers. Your fliers can now take 2 bow shots per enemy phase instead of only one. Some new weapons will have 3x effectiveness.

• Each character will have only 1 personal skill, which they currently learn at level 10. This level might, probably will, change in the future. But some characters come with their personal skill before 10 for plot reasons.

• Thunder magic is 1 range, Fire is 1-2 range, and Wind is 2-3 range. Thunder magic gives a defense buff to compensate for the range reduction, with the strength increasing by tier.

• Poison does slightly more damage and reduces Power, making it a useful strategy against enemies while also making it an actual hinderance to your team. Applying the Regen status cures poison, and applying the Poison status cancels Regen.

• Brave weapons reduce the equipped unit’s avoid by 15 and Killer weapons reduce DEF and RES by a certain percentage.

• Glory Emblems promote all classes, and are the common way to promote. Promotion level is 15.

• Bows have triangle disadvantage at 1 range, but have triangle advantage over everything at 2+ range.

• Per Tactile default, ballistae have to take a turn to reload, letting units approach them much more easily.

• Silence staff is a guaranteed hit, but the Silence status only lasts a turn. It also severely reduces RES, so it can be useful against non magic units, too.

• Mend heals everyone around the user, but it is only useable by Clerics and Bishops.

• Only Clerics, Troubadours, and their promotions can use healing staves, but all magic promotions get access to weak Regen status staves. To compensation, healing items have been buffed.

• Healing and magic weapons use RES for their stat.

• There are three Anima users, each one promoting into Sage, Mage Knight, and Baron respectively. Sages can use Wind and Thunder, Mage Knights fire and wind, and Barons thunder and fire. Barons are armored mages. All three classes can use staves, but per an above bullet, none can use healing staves except Regen status.

• No more chest or door keys. They have been replaced with skeleton keys that all units can use, but thieves do not need them to open doors and chests.

• Steal experience has been increased. Thieves now get experience for opening doors and chests.

• Stat boosting items can be used twice. Seraph’s robe can be used three times. But their effectiveness has been reduced, so you can spread out stat gains, if you wish. The net increase from regular GBA FE is the same.

• There are held items that modify growth rates. They work like Crusader scrolls, massively increasing one rate while reducing two others.

Credits

Credits will be ever expanding, but here’s what I’ve used in the project so far:

Maps
dancer_A
Me

Mugs
The default FEXNA package
Me

Icons
Me

Animations
Leo Link
Intelligent Systems
Flasuban
Me
BatimatheBat
Black Mage
Team Salvaged
Nuramon

Map Sprites
BatimatheBat
Alusq
Team Salvaged
Me
Nuramon

Screenshots

Please feel free to ask any questions, but I’m probably going to ignore any meme stuff.

I hope this pique’s your interest or your contempt!

Here’s a link to a server for the project: Sonic FE

52 Likes

As a fan of both Fire emblem and Sonic this pique’s my interest. I’m curious to see the rest of the character designs everyone look really good, my favorite so far is Amy. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

3 Likes

Looks like a good time, love the custom mugs! Excited to see where this goes!

Your visuals are on point. It’s very pleasing to the eyes. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks, I put a lot of work into them.

On a side note, I am asking you all for a favor. Submit your OCs, onegai! I need Npcs to replace the regular FE ones, a mix of human and Sonic ones will do nicely.

I will be picky, though, please don’t be offended if I don’t choose your oc.

3 Likes

Very important update!!

13 Likes

Super cute Chao portrait! :grin: Would be super cool if could have a Chao unit that’s like a MyUnit that changes depending on it’s stats and it’s promotion depending on said stats haha :laughing: Also could name the game “Sonic Tactics” maybe? :thinking:

1 Like

that’d be cute, we’ll have to force sega into making a chao only game. also, thanks but all i really did was resize a sprite from sonic advance and clean it up lol

1 Like

It still baffles me that Sega has never capitalized on any sort of Chao game :sweat_smile: You’re welcome :slight_smile: Hey, good work should be praised no matter how small :wink:

HONESTLY, i want a chao game

2 Likes

Same haha xD Could even be just be like a small app game at the very least xD

You really wrote ‘onegai’ as in ‘please’ but in romanji! Wow, I really like that.

Calling all playtesters! I have the first two chapters finished, and because this is my first project, I’d like some feedback, please. Here are some screenshots.

6 Likes

good lord this man is on tren

5 Likes

何でこん好きな?少しキモイだが…

i mean it IS funny to talk like that unprompted LOL

1 Like

I would love to help playtest if you still need one

1 Like

I haven’t played it yet
But what about Shadow being Shaman or Thief/Assassin ?

neither shaman nor thief really fits shadow

The playable cast and their classes have are decided already, at most id be adding characters to the roster.

Well assassin fits to me and the first stage is thief
And if silver is monk then why not Shadow being Shaman ?
Can you tell me please which class it is ?

Also … I didn’t expected tails being a mage … I thought It would be a peg knight since he can actually fly

Shadow is a swordmaster.

I chose the classes based on what fit their personalities and character, not their abilities. Of course some less focused on characters (mighty and such) got their classes to have variety, but mostly it was to fit their character.

2 Likes