Skills in FE7, Which to use?

Hey everyone, I’m currently working on a project that aims to rebuild FE7 using FE8 as a base, and I was thinking that a way to make the game even more interesting would be to add skills.

However, skills are a very delicate thing in terms of game balance, as the adition of just one skill could make a very meh unit into an overpowered one.

So, I come here to ask the community; which skills would fit certian characters?
(Here’s a list to of all the characters in FE7)

I’m planning to include both class based skills and character skills, but not too many skills per unit. Only 1-3 skills, at most. And most unpromoted enemy units would have no skills at all.

So, with that said. What are your thoughts? this is meant to be an open discussion topic, so feel free to suggest anything you may have in mind

1 Like

the idea of your project seems very nice to me
if I understand your question correctly, are you looking for a couple of tips on which skills to assign to the characters? right?

I fully agree, that’s why I suggest you see a beautiful video that @Pandan made on his channel, he has just come out and talks about how to integrate the SkillSystem
however, as far as the characters are concerned, I recommend giving Knight aspirant to Kent and Sain gentleman, but since Sain is my favorite fire emblem cavlier, if you want I can give you the code of one of my skills that I created together with Snakey1 and knabpicer and, which I use for one of my characters in my project, which is no more a copy of Sain :smile:

1 Like

Are these going to strictly be the default implementation of skills in the skills system or are you open to modifying values or creating new ones altogether? I also ask if any of the other gameplay elements would be changing too.

Serra needs Dazzle, Lunge, Canto+, Counter, Countermagic, and Galeforce.
This is the only way to make FE7 fun.

2 Likes

Yes, pretty much. So thanks for the suggestion for Sain and Kent.
And i’ll take a look at that video, thanks.

I’d rather stick with simple pre-existing skills, nothing too complicated, so the players don’t feel overwhelmed.
As for the rest of the game, the whole idea of rebuilding FE7 in FE8 is to include FE8 features such as the world map, skirmishes, and split promotion paths

Bruh…

canto
lethality maybe if you’re feeling frisky, up to your own discretion

But on who? Mounted units have Canto by default…

yeah those units should have canto
that’s probably enough

yeah, but I’m looking for something beyond that. Like, should I give Guy Astra? Or give Marcus Canto+ instead of regular Canto?

I’m trying to give the game more flare

Sure, but you then need to rebalance the rest of the game around your units being more powerful than previously…

Yeah, I know. For example, most bosses would have a skill that nullifies other skills. And most enemy units in the early game would be slightly stronger, but have no skills at all

Bosses with skills make the game more good.
But if your units will have like 6 or 5 skills… Why to bother?

Give each unit a personal skill and 2 of the classes. Preferably a skill for combat and another passive, when the unit promotes is now hard to tell you.

Promoted units at Lv10 will not be so good in a long term. But if the player decides to promote at Lv 20…is a different story. So, what can you do for skill with promotions is to choose:

1. Give a broken skill depending on the class. For example. Erk promotes at Ch 19 with a Lv 15. You could give him Ignis or other magic related. But FE8 has a promotion branch.
    Mage Knight is good or decent, Ignis will do wonderful. Sage is just that good in offensive.
    Just don’t make him a killing machine against bosses.

2. Give him 2 class skills, same as before promotion, 1 for combat and 1 passive.
    But is up to you really.

Skills can either drop the difficulty (but since we are speaking of FE7, there’s no such thing as diffuculty) or raise it. With this knowledge, do what you can to keep it fun but a little bit challenging.

oh
well no i don’t think that’s a good idea
but good luck :o

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. But I’d only give each unit 1-3 skills at most (promoted)

You’re rebuilding FE7 using FE8 as a base. Start with trying to recreate FE7 as faithfully as possible (no matter how bad some decisions might be) and then ask yourself what fun you can have with skillsystems and the like. I think many people would love to have the base version so that they can have an easier time cramming things into their FE7 PMEs. FE8 PMEs are getting kinda stale.

What’s a PME?

People who are not the hackcreator are deciding the changes. PME stands for pick my edits.

Canto and Lethality, that’s it. FE7 is easy enough; adding skills on top of it trivializes the game more and just creates more potential “obliterate everything with a 1-2 wep” scenarios

1 Like