Pokemon abilities as FE skills

Hi everyone, I wanted to try and crowdsource some ideas for good Pokemon abilities that could be incorporated as Fire Emblem skills. I’ve gotten fairly decent at making skills, so I’m confident I can code any suggestions you may have.

Examples of skills I’ve contributed to the main skill system include:

No Guard: Set both combatants’ hit rates to 100%
Speed Boost: +1 move per turn (up to a maximum of +6)
Wonder Guard: Unit cannot be hurt by any weapons that are the same type as their equipped weapon.

A full list can be found here: Skillsystem - Implemented Skills - Google Sheets

2 Likes

Wonder Guard feels like it should be “cannot be damaged except by weapons with triangle advantage” or something.

2 Likes

The Wonder Guard gave me a cooler idea:
Wonder Guard: Unit can only be damaged by weapons that have weapon triangle advantage.
But the skill is on a 1 HP unit

2 Likes

I did consider it, but at the same time it felt waaaay too overpowered. Only having 1 in 8 weapon types being able to harm your unit is borderline broken.

1 Like

Not a person who is a coder but I’ve thought about this topic before and the funniest one was to use the ability wasted on toxapex.

Merciless: aka 100% crits against poisoned targets

4 Likes

An interesting one could be Magic Bounce, which reflects status moves that cause status effects.

maybe if a status staff (like sleep, or berserk) is used, reflect the status back to the user.

1 Like

(CS) when it’s meant to be a command skill.

Truant(v1): On even turns, unit automatically uses “Wait” at the start of its phase.
Truant(v2): When unit initiates battle, inflicts Sleep to self for 2 turns afterwards.
Sleeptalk: If unit is inflicted with Sleep, unit acts as if Berserked instead.
Nightmare: Enemy units within 5 tiles of this unit inflicted with Sleep lose HP each turn (as if they were poisoned).
Yawn: When enemy initiates combat, inflict them with Sleep for 1 turn after the battle.
Rest: When unit is asleep or petrified, restore 20% of their HP at the start of the turn.
Dream Eater: When initiating battle against a Sleeping or Petrified enemy, restore HP equal to the damage inflicted.
Uproar: Unit is immune to sleep, and removes Sleep from units within 3 tiles after attacking.
Baton Pass(CS): Undeploys self and deploys the first undeployed unit in its place, transfering all buffs/debuffs and status to the new unit. New unit can still move this turn.
Leech Seed: When another unit within 5 tiles of this unit takes poison damage, this unit recovers HP equal to the amount the other unit lost.
Throat Chop: When initiating combat against a magic user, inflict them with Silence for 2 turns if your attack hits.
Pressure: When hit by an enemy, consumes an additional point of durability from the enemy’s weapon.
Destiny Bond: When an enemy initiates battle and kills the unit, the enemy’s HP is set to 0.
Pay Day: When initiating battle, “scatter” gold equal to the amount of damage dealt from the enemy if you hit. After battle, the “scattered” gold is equally collected by the survivor(s). (Eg. you have Pay Day and initiate battle, hitting an enemy for 10 damage. The enemy loses 10 gold, which becomes “scattered” during the battle. If both units survive, both collect 5 gold after the battle, meaning the enemy still lost 5 gold. If only one of the units survived, they gain 10 gold.)
Metronome(CS): Randomly change the stats of your weapon to those of any weapon of the same type. Does not consume durability. (Should change the battle forecast to not display any numbers so as to not spoil what was metronomed.)
Mimic(CS): Unit attacks as if using the same weapon as the target. Does not consume durability nor grants weapon experience.
Stomp: If unit’s CON is higher than the enemy’s, add the CON difference to damage dealt.
Aqua Ring: If unit is standing on or adjacent to water at the start of the turn, recover from negative status effects and restore 10% HP.
Ingrain(CS): Unit temporarily sacrifices up to 100% of their own MOV to recover the same percentage of HP. (Eg. If the unit has 5 MOV and no debuff, they’ll recover their full HP and get a -5 MOV debuff. The next turn, the debuff will have become -4, so their MOV will be 1, which is 20% of 5, so if they use Ingrain again they’ll restore only 20% of their max HP, and set the MOV debuff to -5 again.)
Struggle: When an enemy initiates combat and this unit cannot counterattack, unit becomes able to counterattack as if using a 0 MT weapon, but takes 10% max HP damage afterwards.
Taunt: When an enemy initiates combat, increases their damage dealt by 5 but decreases their hit by 30 and the enemy becomes unable to inflict statuses or debuffs.
Infatuation: When initiating combat against a unit of the opposite gender, lowers the enemy’s hit by half.
Confusion(v1): When initiating battle, if the enemy counterattacks and misses, their attack backfires instead.
Confusion(v2): When initiating battle, if the enemy counterattacks and misses, they damage one of their allies that is adjacent to you or themselves.
Weather Ball: Buffs the unit depending on weather. Normal/Sunny: +20 hit. Blue: +20 crit. Snow/Blizzard: +5 def. Rain: +5 res. Lava: +5 atk. Sandstorm: +20 avoid. Cloudy: +20 crit avoid.
Stockpile(v1): When unit uses a healing item, buff their Def/Res by 3. When unit uses a non-healing item, buff their Str/Mag by 3.
Stockpile(v2): For each item in the unit’s inventory, increase their Str/Def/Res by 1. For each empty slot in the unit’s inventory, increase their Skl/Spd/Lck by 1.
Synchronize(v1): When inflicted with any status effect, the enemy is also inflicted with it.
Synchronize(v2): In battle, unit receives the highest buff of adjacent allies for each stat. (Eg. Unit has 2 adjacent allies, one with a +3 STR buff, the other with a +2 str/skl buff. In battle only, the unit will gain +3 str and +2 skl.)
Synchronize(v3): Boosts all stats of adjacent allies using the same weapon type as unit by 3. If at least 1 ally was boosted, also boosts unit’s stats by 3.
Synchronize(v4): Unit gains an additional support bonus level from units that have the same affinity. (Eg. if unit has Fire affinity, they’ll gain C-level support bonuses from other units with Fire affinity that they do not have any support level with. If they already have a C level support, their bonuses will be B level, and so on.)
Trace: Copies the enemy’s first ability in battle.
Mummy: Negates the enemy’s first ability in battle.
Poison Heal: If unit is poisoned, they restore HP instead of taking damage at the start of their phase.
Hidden Power(CS): Unit’s weapon type changes based on unit’s affinity. (Fire=Axe,Thunder=Lance,Wind=Sword,Ice=Bow,Dark=Dark,Light=Light,Anima=Anima)
Anticipation: If the enemy deals effective damage against unit, boosts unit’s avoid by 30 but lowers their hit by 30.
Tinted Lens: Unit’s attacks deal normal damage even if under weapon triangle disadvantage.
Pickup: When unit defeats an enemy, luck% chance of getting the enemy’s last item even if it wasn’t droppable.
Analytic: Boosts the unit’s damage by 1 for each ally that has already moved.
Sap Sipper: When unit is standing on or adjacent to a Forest, Thicket or Snag, restore 20% HP at the start of its turn.
Wimp Out: If unit is under 50% HP, they’ll act on their own as if in healing mode.
Guts: Any debuffs that the unit has are applied to its attack as buffs, and gains an additional buff point for each debuffed stat. (Eg. If unit has a -1 debuff to skl and -2 to spd, they gain +5 to str/mag)
Steadfast: When an enemy initiates battle and unit cannot counter, buffs unit’s SPD by (unit’s level /4, max 10).
Gluttony: If unit is below half HP at the start of any phase (even if it’s not the unit’s phase), automatically uses the first healing item in its inventory.

Some variations of 2-turn attacks. They’re all intended to “set up” a battle that only happens the next turn. I’m not sure if there’s a convenient buffer in RAM for this (trap data?), so instead of the delay an alternative would be to hide the unit that turn (when applicable) and make them unable to move in the next turn.
Dig: Burrow underground and attack the enemy using their terrain bonuses next turn. Requires attacking at melee range, can’t be used against flying enemies or from non-ground terrain.
Dive: Dive underwater and attack the enemy next turn, adding both units’ CON to the damage dealt if the enemy can’t walk on water. Requires attacking at melee range and can only be used from or adjacent to water terrain.
Fly: Soar into the sky and attack the enemy next turn. If the enemy is not a flyer, they cannot counterattack. Requires attacking at melee range and cannot be used from indoors terrain.
Sky Drop: Captures an enemy and soars into the sky, dropping them on the next turn. The dropped enemy will receive damage equal to their CON if they are not a flyer. While flying, unit cannot be attacked at melee. Requires attacking at melee range and cannot be used from indoors terrain.
Future Sight: Foresees an attack against the enemy next turn. The attack is guaranteed to hit. Requires attacking with magic.

Entry Hazards/Traps:
Spikes: When an enemy initiates battle, they lose 10% HP before the battle starts.
Poison Spikes: When an enemy initiates battle, inflict Poison on them before the battle starts.
Stealth Rock(CS): After battle, if unit survives, places a mine on the tile the enemy is/was standing on.

I may have gotten carried away. Maybe this is a sign that I should play some Pokemon…

2 Likes

I’d be interested to see how pokemon in fire emblem would feel

12 Likes

Some concepts:

Air Lock - All allied units within a 3 tile space can move normally during a Rain event, and grants Thief vision in Fog Of War.

Battle Armor - Unit cannot be crit.

Blaze - +8 damage if the user is equipped with a Fire Tome.

Curious Medicine - All enemy stat boosts are negated while the user is battling them.

Defeatist - Grants -5 to Str/Mag while below half HP.

Emergency Exit - Grants +2 Mov while below half health.

Forwarn - The unit can identify enemy locations within Fog Of War.

1 Like

I think Blaze, Swarm, Overgrow, etc. would be better represented by making it extra damage with weapon type on low hp.

1 Like

Chlorophyll: +1 Movement when Weather condition is Sunny

Illuminate: +1 Vision in Fog

Thick Fat: Reduced damage from Fire & Ice Magic

Stall: Unit always attacks last

Technician: +3 STR when equipped with a low might weapon

Merciless: +50% Crit to Poisoned foes

Sharpness: +3 STR when unit is equipped with a Blade or Myrm only weapon

Mind’s Eye: Ignores foes stat buffs

Sturdy: Unit cannot be killed if HP is 100%

Plus: +4 to all Stats if adjacent to ally with Minus
Minus: +4 to all Stats if adjacent to ally with Plus

Super Luck: Unit’s crit is dependent on Luck stat

Victory Star: +15% Hit for unit and allies in a 2 tile radius
Victory Star v2: Chapter End Event is played automatically if Unit is deployed

2 Likes

There's a whole range of weather-related moves and abilities that can work pretty 1:1 in GBAFE, the only exception being harsh sunlight which doesn't have a direct analogue. Closest is "no weather" but that's likely to make it objectively better than any others.

• Drizzle: On the first turn, if this unit is deployed, it starts raining. The rain lasts for 5 turns.
  • Rain Dance: Once per chapter, start a rainstorm that lasts for 5 turns. (Command Skill)
  • Hydration: Restore negative status conditions at the start of each turn if it is raining.
  • Rain Dish: Restore 5% of maximum HP at the start of each turn if it is raining.
  • Swift Swim: 2x Attack Speed if it is raining.

• Sand Stream: On the first turn, if this unit is deployed, a sandstorm begins. The sandstorm lasts for 5 turns.
  • Sandstorm: Once per chapter, start a sandstorm that lasts for 5 turns. (Command Skill)
  • Sand Veil: +20 Avoid during a sandstorm.
  • Sand Rush: 2x Attack Speed during a sandstorm.
  • Sand Force: Physical weapons deal an extra 25% damage during a sandstorm.

• Snow Warning: On the first turn, if this unit is deployed, it starts snowing. The snow lasts for 5 turns.
  • Hail: Once per chapter, start a snowstorm that lasts for 5 turns. (Command Skill)
  • Ice Body: Restore 5% of maximum HP at the start of each turn if it is snowing.
  • Snow Cloak: +20 Avoid during a snowstorm.
  • Slush Rush: 2x Attack Speed if it is snowing.

Harsh sunlight is harder to do for aforementioned reasons, but these would be the relevant skills for it:

• Drought: On the first turn, if this unit is deployed, harsh sunlight begins. The sunlight lasts for 5 turns.
  • Sunny Day: Once per chapter, start harsh sunlight that lasts for 5 turns. (Command Skill)
  • Chlorophyll: 2x Attack Speed during harsh sunlight.
  • Leaf Guard: During harsh sunlight, immune to negative status conditions being inflicted.
  • Solar Power: Magical weapons deal an extra 25% damage during harsh sunlight.
  • Dry Skin: Lose 10% of maximum HP each turn during harsh sunlight. Gain 10% of maximum HP each turn when it is raining.
2 Likes

I was considering extra damage on Anima if under 30% HP, but that felt too generic cause then it wouldn’t be limited to Fire.

I think it’d be possible to just affect fire magic, you’d have to make it so each skill reads a list of item ID’s similar to the anima triangle patches but I think that’d be possible.

1 Like

Regarding sunlight, you can simulate it by setting 0x202BD05 to 05. It causes a fiery effect.

1 Like

So I’ve cracked weather skills (and with that I can now port a lot more abilities) but I wanted to consider weather priority.

Especially in the case of skills like Drought or Drizzle, a priority order is necessary to prevent them from constantly overwriting each other at the start of the turn. I was considering the following, with 1 being highest priority and 5 the lowest. Thoughts?

• 1 - Sunny
  • 2 - Snow
  • 3 - Rain
  • 4 - Sand
  • 5 - Clear
2 Likes

If you must have a weather priority, I think it makes sense to follow the weather IDs as they are in vanilla. Even if there’s no particular reason, it at least makes sense as a formality.
Which seems to be mostly what you’re doing, aside from “Sunny” which I assume is “Lava” in vanilla, since “Sunny” is essentially “Clear” in vanilla.

But I think the ideal option here would be to make it so whenever the first weather skill is located, it changes the weather and stops checking further.

1 Like

Well how about that, my track of thought was pretty similar to vanilla :smile:

And regarding priority, I’ve just recently set up the other skills to look for a change in the weather. Since weather is unused in FE8, if it’s anything other than 0, then all weather skills that aren’t Drought immediately return false.

1 Like

Ok, now that i think of it, Supreme Overlord would be equal parts fun, thematic and outright cracked if implemented as a skill.

1 Like

Try making some in C now that you’re hacking for fe8

I can help you get started with it in gba coding help if you like

1 Like