Playable Character Limit

Hey everyone,

Im new to FEbuilder and I would like to know if it’s possible to add more than the existing playable characters. I have many i would like to add but i am worried that if i replace
ENEMY 1F (example) with a playable character i created, i feel like it would mess something up in the game. Am i wrong?

It’s a silly question and im trying my best to learn the ropes.

Thanks for helping me out!

1 Like

Generally you might want to keep player units below the ID 0x45. After this point supports, skills and battles, wins & losses data do not get saved iirc.

3 Likes

Adding to what Zarg said, you can also IIRC only have up to 50 unique playable characters in the roster at once, period. If you start at ID 1 in the character editor and go without skipping any spots, you can only fill out to ID 32 if you want ALL of those characters to be recruitable. You can go beyond it if you have route split recruitments, though. Like one path nets you these four characters, but the other gives you four different ones.

Now it’s been a while since I had this explained so I might not be remembering the reasoning quite perfectly, but basically it’s a hard limitation. Once you add more than that to the roster, it starts to unload the units at the “bottom” of your save, effectively preventing you from accessing them again.

3 Likes

There’s actually room in memory for a total of 63 player units, but various menus break when you surpass 50. Luckily, you can hide units from the party (like vanilla does with Ephraim/Kyle/Forde after Chapter 5x until they come back in Chapter 8) and they won’t count towards the 50 limit, since they aren’t available in any menus

4 Likes

I experimented with this recently and it seems everyone past 51 got deleted after suspending and resuming, even with a bunch of them being hidden.

2 Likes

The safe amount of saved characters in the party is 50. The ExModularSave patch theoretically lets you save up to 63, but given how I’ve seen bugs (including the units not actually being saved) I personally don’t recommend it.
Characters after 0x45 still save supports normally, since supports are part of unit RAM. It’s only BWL data that doesn’t get saved since that’s a separate thing. Normally this doesn’t really mean much, but if you’re using the skill system this means the unit won’t be able to learn skills from events/scrolls, or won’t save their unpromoted skills after promotion which could also not matter depending on your case, especially since you can just set the unpromoted skills as part of the promoted skill set.

2 Likes

The default ems on feb saves 51 players, while the old default saved 62 chars. You can edit this yourself pretty easily if you want to save more than 51. I think this was done to easily fit 200 convoy.

New

Old

4 Likes

If you really need more than 50, you can load the extra characters during in chapter as a event. 50 is the max unit you can select, but let’s say you want 5 more you can have it so there runs a event where the 5 shows up as allies. Problem is they won’t be “your” unit per say since they come with whatever you might have gave to them during the unit placement.

I think enemies is similar but they stop spawning after a certain number.

Also, 50 is a lot, a lot. I’ve ran a game with about 40 or so before and it was already enough to fill the entire map. You would need a big map for all those units.

2 Likes

I’m currently looking into doing trying this out myself. Since I can no longer save units to my party

Have you had any luck so far?

Sadly all I could do was cut back on how many playable units the player party could obtain. I also went back and added full erase events on units that leave the party with no plans on returning. While dishearting to do this. It will lead to more fleshing out many of my units.

Hi, thank you for helping! Any chance you could explain a bit more about how to change the maximum roster size myself? For example, assume that I want to change the maximum party size to 90, what steps should I take? Many thanks again!

You can’t - the maximum possible without bugs is 50. With some bugs, 62. Past that everything explodes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. So what steps should I take to edit the max roster size to 62? Many thanks!

1 Like

You can just copy the ems setup I linked above that says 62 units. (Note that you cannot use 200 convoy with this setup).

2 Likes

Hi! Quick question out of interest. If you can’t have both 62 units and 200 supply, how did for example Vision Quest manage to have both?

Keep in mind that the limit is for characters in the party at the same time. You can easily have route-exclusive characters.
Using the DISA event command to unload them, you can have characters like Orson that permanently leave. Shadow Dragon style replacement characters are achievable if you check the number of living units in the party and then have them join via an event if party is is below a threshold. Make sure to use the ASMC_ClearZombies patch to erase dead unit data. The two downsides to this methods are unloaded units will appear as unmet in the support viewer and you can’t have a revival staff.

1 Like

You can. I was just saying you can’t with that specific setup. Ems is meant to be configured to what you want. I don’t have a setup that has both but I’m sure someone around does, or you can make your own.

1 Like

Is there any tutorial on this EMS thing?
Iread you edit it but when I did, the patch got deleted.

Quick question about the roster limit, I believe that FE6 had 54 recruitable characters (3 route-exclusive ones) and 9 recruitable characters for the Trial Maps. How can they avoid making the game buggy with such a huge roster? Also, if I don’t include new support system whatsoever for my new characters, is there anyway at all to bypass the hardcode limit of 62? Many thanks.
Edit: Is there a Discord server that I can join? Would love to talk about these to someone, I am just starting and I get a little bit overwhelmed.