Make A Really Terrific Hack: MARTH

I’m gonna be streaming a couple of MARTH entries over on my channel incase anyone is interested in seeing their project being played live. Haven’t decided which ones yet, may just randomise the order.

Going live in around 4.5 hours at 16 CET.

I ended up randomizing and playing:
(Untitled) by Pengie9290
Village Chapter by Kit
Rise of the Replacements by squiddacus
Heir of Leonster by prezp00nage
and
Storge: Gaiden by Knabepicer

2 Likes

Hey, creator of Heir of Leonster here. Unfortunately I learned about the MARTH contest with only 2 days left and I threw it together really fast with literally no time left to test, so unfortunately a lot of nonsense and glitches squeaked through. I uploaded another version on this page with most of the issues fixed if anyone is interested, although admittedly I havent worked on it anymore since that patch, and I believe there is still a glitch or two present. I hate that it had so many issues because I really was excited to make this chapter! I simply ran out of time… Thanks for playing though! I hope everyone liked the concept at the very least!

6 Likes

Oh wow. I honestly was not expecting to score well at all, let alone place third. Congrats to Rivian for a well-deserved win, and thank you to the judges for reading my hack and for all of the feedback. I’m sure it was a ton of work and effort to write responses for every single entry.

I’ll fully acknowledge that there was a lot of text (and as a fun fact, the intro was even longer in the initial draft and a few scenes had already been cut out). I think the script’s length is a bit of an inevitability considering the nature of the project and my personal goals for it, though.

At some point in the next month I do mean to do a small update to Lonely River—mainly graphical stuff like giving Dhari an actual non-placeholder portrait or finishing the WIP mug that’s used on the suspend screen. As an aside, this world and story are quite dear to me and I definitely intend to delve further into it in a longer-form hack someday, though it likely won’t be any time in the near future for one reason or another.

5 Likes

This is extremely late, haha, but after seeing that my entry had gotten second place, I had intended on making an updated version of Into Madness with bugfixes before releasing it publicly. I never got around to doing that, so I just decided to remove the few things I knew caused bugs (just a couple weapons/skills).

I hope someone at least is still interested in playing it so long after the competition ^^;

Into Madness Download

Edit: I also made a topic for this

2 Likes

please release this publicly and make a topic for this. Man I am a huge fan of the Original Storge’s story and would like to play this Gaiden hack

Hi everyone. I hope I’m not out of place by making this suggestion: if so, forgive me. Wouldn’t it be nice to create a single complete game (that would be an anthological collection) by combining all these various chapters one after the other? Would it be possible to do this? What do you think? Thank you all.

Is it even possible like every hack has their own chracters and features like some have dmg items like mines and some have single path promotion where as some have branch promotion so i dont think its possible unless you want every chapter with different unit which too is a question if its possible as it exceeds unit limit and also have to make it so it goes in sequence or throw story out in the trash

2 Likes

I see. I was mainly asking if it is possible from a technical point of view. It is obvious that each chapter is independent, with a completely different plot and characters from the previous and subsequent ones. Of course, all hacks of the same game (F.E.8 usually). This is why I used the term ANTHOLOGY, like those school books where texts by various authors independent of each other in terms of topic and historical period are brought together.
E.g. Certain Community Chests regarding Doom or Quake user maps come to my mind.
Made myself clear? :thinking:

Every chapter is available to download on the competition website. In this case, Storge Gaiden’s post already has its own download link too.

It’s quite simply impossible to merge all 28 entries into a single anthology. As already mentioned some hacks are incompatible with others, but the most simple barrier is not every entry even uses the same engine. You can’t just put an SRPG Studio chapter in an FE8 rom.

6 Likes

Of course, not all but only those that together would fit into a single rom (the limit is perhaps 32MB?) and concerning the same game (gba F.E.8). Thanks anyway.

not only would getting every gba hack to work together in one rom be a grueling process given all of the different patches and custom asm put into most projects that most definitely conflict with each other, but it would also just be exhausting, copying entire projects over to one single rom, and for what? Simply for the minor convenience of the few who will play it?

Not to mention there is also a class limit with so many hacks there being like 40+ class (minimum), Item limit, space limit etc

1 Like

@Nikokaro do not drag this out further. Your question has been answered already.

1 Like

Just finish this amazing hack. I Sweat Buckets trying to keep everyone alive and finish the chapter and somehow everyone still dies :joy:

Once Again I Enjoy solving the puzzle of this map especially trying to maneuver my unit to avoid Yudhisthira while killing all the bosses. This is the second Hack in the MARTH Entry that I had to rack my brain to finish The First was “Into Madness” the 3rd place hack on the MARTH entry. I enjoy them both equally for their challenging map design.

I know there is another ending but I am too tired to go through the chapter again just to see a different ending

Can someone just share screenshots of the alternative ending so I could be done with this hack