LGBT+ Characters In Rom Hacks?

OMG dream of five making a comeback!! Been forever since I heard that one

I guess I can give it a playthrough. I been wnting to for so long now. And I’m playing Myth of Blight and that has no supports. It takes me forever to finish a hack so by the time I finish it may be further along for a second playthrough…I mean I havent even finished shackled Power yet lol. Hell I hven’t even beaten Engage lol

1 Like

i uh… don’t especially know if it’s apt, but my baseline for characters is ‘not-straight’, while that technically extends to my ‘Celestaris’ hack it’s not entirely obvious aside from maybe Book II’s Chapter 2 with Saoirse both being a transwoman and having a fiancee.

It’s a little harder to show pairings when most have yet to appear in the same chapter (Most chapters have different playable characters, like Elibean Nights), ahaha… oops…

Maybe I should toss more character pairings into the same chapters now that I’m thinking of it.

2 Likes

Same here, I’ve always wanted that and I figured in terms of how hard it be to make, that be one of the easier first rom hack projects a person could take on, given ya know most the maps are already done and most the writing is already done.

Just intend to add a few chapters actually dealing with the Bandits who killed Lyn’s people since that was a thread that was never resolved. Then change some supports and alter some of the cutscenes to have a bigger focus on Lyn and Lyn’s crew.

2 Likes

I’m super excited to see what you cook up for that chapter.

There’s a trans character in my game in development. Though it’s a community writing effort (or at least I tried to make it be one) and I didn’t create the character so he hasn’t been developed hugely.

1 Like

There are like 7 non -LGBT characters in my hack out of 63 characters. There are currently only written supports for two of the pairings, but the fact that the characters are not straight/cis comes up during chapter dialogue. Like non-binary characters having they as their pronouns or characters flirting or talking about their past outside of supports.

1 Like

There’s a good handful of bi characters in Cycle of Remorse as well as one gay man and two lesbians, but their sexualities aren’t really explored outside of supports. And there’s one trans character, but they’re not plot important in the grand scheme of things, so their gender identity doesn’t get really looked into outside of supports either.

Just by looking at who has S supports with each other, you can pretty clearly see who’s gay lol

3 Likes

I love S support FE! I’m fine with it not being a plot point. The point for me is inclusion and it not be a whole thing. Just some gays slashing through enemies and then being like “dude I think I love you” lol

3 Likes

I’m currently working on my first hack which will have bunch of canon lgbt characters, starting with gay “long time rivals”, bi pegasus knight and her future christmas cavalier gf and a trans girl working as a retainer.

2 Likes

Yeah it was kinda weird that the Taliver bandits got relegated to being killed off-screen by Wallace.

Regarding the topic, Two Milkmen Go Comedy semi-recently got an update adding the Viridian arc, featuring a non-binary lead.

1 Like

This sounds like everything

2 Likes

Ya it really bothers me that Lyn doesn’t get to get that closer herself so I’d love to rework that part of her story. As well as bumping up that queer subtext to queer text for her and Florina.

1 Like

There is so many cool new games to play, I’m super excited to check them all out. I really need to make rom hack time.

2 Likes

Oh nice! Another one to check out for my next playthrough. So enjoyable.

1 Like

So excited for FEE3, gonna be very excitedly watching and shipping the cool new cute girls everyone has cooked up.

I mentioned I was gonna be working on some rom hacks but I decided to just go on the deep end to SRPG maker and make my own thing so in a few years time, I shall have a fire emblem inspired gay little thing for everyone, a few years being who knows how long but I am really loving the writing process.

10 Likes

imma tune in regardless

1 Like

awww, thank you! The process is going really well. Got a lot of gay even pre writing any supports or even like fully scripting any scene.

6 Likes

FEE3 got me finally catching up on my backlog. Been touching tons of games from this thread. Y’all are such good designers, thank you for sharing! I am really loving all the games. I in particular have been really amazing by Drums Of War. I really love the supports and interactions between the women I’ve got to see and the diversity of those interactions. It’s really nice.

5 Likes

I figure since you and Piku shared project concepts here that it’s okay to do so, so I felt I’d add that the hack I’m planning will 100% for sure have a trans guy main Lord, as well as like… definitely multiple other LGBT+ characters, among the player party especially.

Granted, the general style of the project is planned to be more along the lines of earlier installments in the series; broadly-speaking the first nine mainline games, but the GBA and Archanea-Valentia trilogies in particular. I am strongly considering implementing my own take on a generational split and the attendant romance aspects, but it would kinda be its own fourth way of doing that rather than copying Genealogy, Awakening, or Fates verbatim.

Also, because I’m really proud of his design, here’s some of the art I’ve done of said main Lord, whose name is Kaleb! The son of a nobleman accused of, and executed for, a heinous crime. He’s been living in hiding since childhood, and now sets out on a mission to uncover the truth and clear his father’s name, but the truth he seeks may not be what he expects…

Kaleb artwork

His T1 class, I’m thinking, is kinda like if Hector used swords at base instead of axes.
His “early-game armor/cavalry-busting Prf weapon” (which he’s depicted with here) is an Ilwoon, because I really like the Ilwoon’s design and thought it would be fun to sorta do the reverse of what FEs 5 and 15 do in demoting the Rapier to a universal weapon and “promote” a semi-obscure, previously-universal weapon to Prf status for him.

12 Likes