LGBT+ Characters In Rom Hacks?

I love his design, he seems like a really awesome lord, I look forward to seeing you make this a reality.

I got a trans guy as one of my main characters for Sappho’s Sword my big new game project. I am really excited about him and main lord is a trans woman.

6 Likes

Do you know what those supports are because all the supports I pair up literally aren’t in the game? I haven’t had one actually show up lol

From what I remember:

Summary

Aenny and Olyn
Brent and Maeron
Brent and Lumn
Derringer and Vega
Lumn and Steel
Karim and Sanna
Jeann and Sanna
Gerhard and Edwin
Eiden and Vega
Lada and Fila (canon)
Sibyl and Melanie (canon)
Aenny and Ash (NB)

Also, Roiel is transmasc (born female, now male)
Pretty sure Brent is confirmed gay too

P.S. what epicer said below

2 Likes

The supports currently only have endings in the game. Their main text is still being written.

2 Likes

omg thank you!!! I knew there was something there between Aenny and Olyn and I knew Roiel was something and I had a feeling about Brent idk why but my Radar went off lol. Yaaaay omg look at all the LGTBQ here!! I am going to overload. Cant wait until the supports actually finish so I can watch how it all pans out.

In overall by my opinion, LGBT+ is a fine content to include in FE romhacks, but it would help to identify if there are any in the hack as part of the description.

I just think all Romhacks and Fire emblem games should just have S rank supports so you just know at that point who they have a PE with. I always don’t mind them have more super close friends PE. Like siblings having a PE or like their best friends or rivals having a PE and we could know all that just from having an S rank support tree

1 Like

I do think it’s useful to somewhere tell the players what characters have paired endings especially if there sticking to the more classic GBA model where your gonna be screwed out of a paired ending if you just view a few C ranks.

3 Likes

Depends. There is a patch that makes it so you can have as many supports up to B rank with multiple characters, but only one A rank

1 Like

Ok Radom question but what’s the name of it again?

Change support conversation to 5 people instead of 5 times(By Aera)

2 Likes

Thanks

dude you’re a bandori fan LMAO you cannot tell me that this should be a warning

… well, I guess if someone lives in a country where LGBT+ media is illegal it might help in terms of liability

Providing a heads up isn’t really what we want, that makes it stand out, something out of the ordinary. When in reality plenty of hacks have such representation to some extent. Such labels will only give those with less than humane ideals a target to hate immediately.

This content should be celebrated and appreciated, not be given a warning.

This also brings up an issue i have with the way characters in FE are handled in terms of how they’re treated by some people in terms of their supports. Some expect to have control over these characters and their lives, hence why some push back against his most FE games handle paired endings, not telling the player directly who that character has endings with and if they are even getting one.
It’s a strange paradox to have a system showing these character’s lives, aspirations, and struggles and yet still expect to have the level of control that you would have over Byleth. Fates and Awakening are obvious stand outs but they use this more player controlled matchmaking to directly benefit the gameplay and create a different feeling entirely. Where the player has a lot more control over support building due to pair up.

Overall, being able to control paired endings of characters or to even expect to be told directly what paired endings are there is at odds with how the main series treats it’s characters and supports, especially in GBA.

5 Likes

not to disagree or anything but I don’t understand what that means? this isn’t sass btw I genuinely don’t understand what this means. the previous sentence makes it sounds like more sass but I’m serious, got an example?

So the themes exemplified by the existence of permadeath in nearly every FE game can be read as something along the lines that these characters have their own lives that can be cut short by war. You learn a lot about these characters by having them chat with others. The game overall makes it very clear that these people live separate lives off of the battlefield, however most of the time you only see these characters in the context of the story not outside it.
The ability to choose paired endings based on what the player wants is as such at odds with this. It denies these characters the degree of separation that these core themes provide. This is partly why I’m forgiving of Fates and Awakening allowing you to decide who your non-avatar characters marry, Fates frames it from the perspective of the gameplay extending beyond the war context within the MyCastle where your party is assumed to spend much of their time. Awakening however frames it from the perspective that these characters have children with each other in the future as such it creates a level of separation. You pair the characters together yes but ultimately these character’s stories do not end outside the context of the game. Tharja among other examples actually become very different people in the future, being confused by her future actions.

An obvious example of not being able to control your army’s outside lives is in FE4 where the marriage mechanic is left unexplained and requires a lot of outside knowledge to actually use to your advantage, and even then its easy to accidentally get pairings without paying attention.

Essentially Fire Emblem often treats its characters as if they have their own agency and lives (Especially in GBA and FE4 where the support system is completely unexplained, leading to new players often getting the support(s) by mistake) so being able to directly control the paired endings of characters betrays this framing and instead portrays the characters as having much more insular lives that you directly influence and change to ship your favorite characters.

I can go on and on about how shipping culture with characters is unhealthy for the interpretations of these characters but I don’t mean to directly attack those who like to pair characters together (especially since I earlier praised Fates and Awakening for doing this well) so I won’t go into detail on that aspect.

3 Likes

so… like it’d be better if karla and bartre is canon or lyn and rath is canon because sue instead of lyn marrying hector was it? and staying in ostia instead of kissing the ground on the plains? or like in SOV where despite ALM being thristed by like 3 girls he’s a chad that can only canonically marry celica?

vs Roy being able to marry like 5 diff women instead of being locked to lilina?

… You misunderstand. Paired endings themselves are not an issue, being explicitly told what A supports yield endings and if you want them or not is what troubled me. Karla and Bartre is canon because FE7 is a prequel game and the two are directly linked to the game already made. Lyn and Rath is not a canonical pairing as Sue doesn’t speak of her mother enough to give us reason that Lyn is definitively her mother in FE6 (mostly because Lyn as a concept was only born after the game’s creation).
Alm only marrying Celica is due to Alm’s characterization and story in tandem with Celica’s necessitates the two to be paired. Roy’s story does not necessitate this as it is unimportant to the story or Roy as a character that he does marry at the end of the story. Whether it’s Sue or Larum the result is the same in story, just as it is with Lilina, Cecilia, or alone.

If the roles were reversed and Alm would be able to marry Faye or Claire for instance and Roy only locked to Lilina then that would be a problem imo as Alm and Celica’s story naturally ends with the two being wed and joining the continent together, Lilina isn’t an expressive enough force in the story to warrant being the only character who is allowed to have a paired ending with Roy. However, without the given opportunity of other options Roy only being able to be paired without Lilina is not an inherent issue. It would only mean that Roy as a character does not have romantic attraction to the four characters left out, the same assumed reason he cannot have a paired ending with Wolt, Alen, or Lance. Because this too also has to emphasized, just because a male and female character have a support conversation together does not mean that they must be paired at the end, that’s a distinctly toxic mindset.

But this is getting off track of the original point of the thread, if you want to discuss this more DM me. Otherwise let’s not get too sidetracked.

1 Like

I see your point I actually prefer it when you can only romance or support certain characters. I hated when Radiant Dawn was just like anyone can talk to anyone, that was the worst supporting of all to me. But my question is how does knowing who has an S rank or PE take away that control from the characters they still have their own preset supports. You just know the ones they potentially have a PE with.

I for sure think knowing who has paired endings does not remove agency from the characters, it just lets the player know the characters preferences romantically. Ideally for me, I’d see every single support all the way to A level that every character had, that’s not possible in basically any FE game but knowing who ends up with who is nice. I agree that it shouldn’t be like “Content warning, homosexuals” but I think all paired endings, gay and straight should be visible for the players to know if they opt into it. The reality is if this was a real FE GBA game right, you could simply look it up on a wiki or in a guide book or on a forum. I think it’s important to provide players with some resources to know how they can see the kinds of content they want to see if it exists. I feel the same about like recruitment, I think there should be some optional doc you can read to see the recruitment requirements for characters and stuff.

3 Likes