Koni's Bits and Pieces

Oh wow i love the last map that you posted, its very nice :slight_smile: and i love the small details like the ivy and the rotten tiles. By any chance why dont try to do a marsh map full of water bodies and plains and full of pirates? Greetings

1 Like

Today I refined a pretty old frontier map of mine.

The previous version had a lot of chokepoints and was very linear. These were things that I really wanted to improve. (But also to add on the lacking aesthetics as well, as my style has changed quite a lot since I’ve first created it.) Dancer_A provided some neat ideas for the flow and I think they’ve worked out pretty well.

I’m happy with the result now!
The last bit still is quite linear, but its right before the castle, so I don’t mind too much.
Hope you like it~

17 Likes

Thinking hypothetically for gameplay adaptation here:

You could open it up with a sandbar event, just like Chapter 17 Ilia in FE6 - heck, if possible (I don’t use the Western Isles tileset too frequently, so I’m not sure what tiles it has available off hand - mainly worried about cliffs with sand below them) have the tide go way down and end up with a larger sandy area in the center “bay” that’s right above the bottom landmasses.

Would completely change the flow of the map and if the enemy knew that it would be happening and readied aerial reinforcements, could catch you funneling your units into that much larger, less restrictive pathway and leave them ripe for the picking…

Or, you could get a small path from the fort island just north of the castle via event, incentivizing the player to cross the “shallows” to the island to then approach the castle from the north instead of going the whole way down and around.

The flow and design of the map look great as always though!

3 Likes

I’ve been waiting to do a map with this palette, its so cool.
Palette by Gamma :tm:

Take a look at this Canyon.
The player group starts at the upper left corner and has to traverse this valley to enter the enemy kingdom. Its time to fight back and bring the fight to their territory!
I’ve been trying to find a good concept for this for weeks and I’m very glad its finally done.

border canyon

@LordGlenn Thanks a lot for your insight and ideas~ I haven’t gotten around to event anything with that map yet, so if I feel the funky, I could still add a sandbar event here. (I can’t really tell at this point if I will or not though)

18 Likes

I present you the hundreth version of a early game chapter, that I keep on changing.

For some reason, I always grow unhappy of it and so it keeps evolving.
This time around, I really hope I have hit the right point tbh. Someone pointed out, it kinda feels like a thracia map. Its funny, because I didn’t even realize that and whenever the map changed, the resemblance grew bigger lol.

headland

Theres also a little update for one of my earlier maps “Lakeside”.
Its a pretty old map by now and it just looked atrocious, so I had the urge to change it.
I think I’ve got a much better feel for naturalness now compared to its old version. The lack of bridges also made it stale, so I added a few to make it flow better.

lakeside2

14 Likes

If you want it to actually feel like a thracia map. Some slopes would do you good. But as it stands I don’t think you have anything to be bothered about with these. Except for maybe the super lit up peak portions of the mountains which I probably shouldn’t point out XD

2 Likes

While my archnemesis of mapping is purely castle mapping, I haven’t done a lot with villages yet.
What a great coincidence that I still needed a frontier village for my project, to test my skills lol.

My original idea was to have the player group start left from the village entrance, although I might change that to the middle entrance for a better flow mmh. Frontier village is quite limiting in its set, but still fun to play around with. Due to its limitations, I thought of editing the tileset, but laziness got the best of me.

Since I’m not very used to doing villages, I think this one turned out cool.
What do you think?

frontiervillage

16 Likes

Hi yes, I exist.
Although I like this map and its already a few months old, I somehow never posted it, so here it goes.

Once again, I dislike doing castle maps, but incorporating outside stuff makes it a bit easier to handle.
My idea was to have like a main hallway and a sideway full of treasure. I’ve made the inner palace… garden… for looks, but I could also put a secret shop here I guess mh.

(If life wasn’t so busy I’d post more, but I’ve dedicated the spare time I had more towards the other aspects of my hack lately.)

If you have any thoughts or feedback, I’d be happy to hear it!

desert fortress

13 Likes

I’m not dead. 8)
Geez its been a long while since I’ve posted. I swear I’m very hard working still,
I have just reconstructed quite a few things lately and I’m glad how its turning out.
Have been mapping here and there, but nothing I’d like to upload at this point.
Though that might change soon, since theres some maps I need to do.

Another map that has been made a long time before, so here we go!
Its kind of a mountain chase with your group starting on the upper right corner of the map.
Your group is in a hurry, as you just picked someone up who’s very important.

Cheers, hope you guys like it and look forward to more future stuff.

mountain chase

13 Likes

Hooray for another map from my stash.

Its meant to be a big capital and I think its the first map I made, using the village tileset,
that doesn’t suck. I actually quite like it. I adapted to one of Gamma’s tilesets along the way
and had to redo the trees, so I hope all errors are ironed out by now.
You start out in the middle below, with player reinforcements turn 2 in the upper left corner.

totherescue

I’ll now go back to re-doing the map for chapter one of my hack and scream in agony,
because it is by far the map I keep redoing the most UGH.

17 Likes

Behold!
Many renditions of chapter 1 later, I have finally created it:
The definitive one. I pray this won’t age poorly
Jokes aside, I’m very happy with this. Its fully inserted and tested!

Your squad starts at the upper left corner and your obvious goal is
to seize the castle in the bottom right corner. On turn 2, two new
characters will appear from the village on the right to give you
a helping hand on the battlefield.

ch1ver_over9000

On a side note

The playable cast of my hack is almost done!
Only 8 custom player portraits remain to be worked on. (exciting)
Also, quite a few custom anims have been finished too,
with some more to come!

(I’m looking forward to the day, when I’m finally confident enough
with the progress I made, that I can create a topic for this.)

In case any of the artists I work with actually happen to read this:
Thank you so much, you’re the best!

17 Likes

Another post, this soon?
I avoided making this map for so long, but today I had the sudden energy to finally
sit down and get this done and I’m really happy with the result tbh!
So I hope you like it too.

Its the FE6 sacae tileset featuring broccoli mountains, which were more fun to make
than I originally thought lol. It replaces a pretty old map of mine, “Resistance Outpost”.
(You can check it out in the main post of this thread, its atrocious and out-dated)

I’m not entirely sure how I want this map to be played right now.
You start on the middle of the map, aiding a resistance group.
Theres also an enemy myrmidon recruitable.
(Maybe a nomad too, but I migh shove them elsewhere)

rest_lyg

11 Likes

That gloomy swamp would make Gaidens Map Creators proud. Jokes aside it looks amazing.

1 Like

Yo, happy new year!
Lets celebrate with a new post.

This is kiiind of a cutscene map, but also not I guess. Tbh I probably spent too much time on this thing for what it is, but whatever. It was even bigger at the start and had to reel it in.
The story going on here is quite important and so I procrastinated creating the map like a boss, but hey its done now yay. 8)

sadidk

Palette/Tileset by HyperGammaSpaces

13 Likes

A different kind of post today.

I’d like to share that I’ve started using twitter (or X, whatever you wanna call it) to show off progress and updates about my upcoming fe romhack “Avenging Dragon”.
I’ll also make a topic here on FEU when I feel right about it, though I have already written some text for that, I basically need to pin down on what I wanna incldude in the screenshots.

Heres a link to my page, I’d be more than happy if you’d check it out:
https://twitter.com/konibyte

I’m also on bluesky:

That being said, I will post stuff whenever I feel like it. Sometimes more and sometimes less I guess, theres no “once or twice a week” pattern or anything.

Thanks for your time reading this!

9 Likes

Back with another map.
A simple early game cutscene that I kept adding details to, because I’m unable to make something without using an unholy amount of time on in the planning phase.

villagescene

Tileset/palette by HyperGammaSpaces

13 Likes