Koni's Bits and Pieces

While the previous map has been one I had for a long time and was just re-edited, this new one has been made from scratch a few days ago. I’ve got a few days off from work, so theres more spare time to work on my project and maps in general.

I got some nice feedback from the discord server when making this one, and I’m quite happy with how it turned out in the end. I also wanted to fit in a snag somewhere, but couldn’t get the right feeling for it, so I have left it out for now.

Fun fact; in my first draft I intended to have more than one casle on this map, but I have replaced them with villages to ‘force’ some kind of tension into the gameplay, eh.

ch19

EDIT: I have finally organized my first post for a better oversight. I might also add a few notes to every map. Not sure if anyone cares about those, but I just like to talk about this kinda stuff A few of my older maps have been slightly altered since they were posted and I decided to include the most up-to-date-ones.

11 Likes

Its been this long since my last post? ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)

Anyways, I have recently made this new map.
Its a bunch of spread out isles, only connected through thin sandy streets. They are supposed to disappear now and then, so you better watch your units not getting stuck!
Pirates have been laying their eyes on that poor village though, so don’t move too slowly. ^^"

longingisles

15 Likes

Oh hey, I remember seeing your earlier version of this map on the discord. Looks great! Seems like it would be fun to play!

Nice solid maps all around, Koni.

2 Likes

I think it could if you get a flier and/or pirate or if you turn it into a defend chapter and swap the village and fort.

Thank you~! I’m glad you like them.
Posting the earlier version on discord really helped, as it kept the ball rolling kinda haha.
I always appreciate feedback.

I’m on a roll rn with mapping, so it will take a while to put it into my project, but I hope it will indeed turn out to be a fun and challenging map. ^^

I’ve been very productive lately, which is cool.
Progress is always nice.

The map that I’m about to show is a remake of a pretty old one. I never warmed up to its design and so it was about time to change it. Now, I’m pretty happy with how it looks!
The player party starts at the bottom and has to secure the enemy castle. Since there are two villages here, its suggested to split your units into groups.

lakething

10 Likes

My first post in 2022 was meant to be made in January.
Its March. Well, this surely has gone well.

This was my first attempt at a swamp and I must say that I’m actually pretty proud with the outcome.
Though I must say this map turned out quite a bit bigger than intended. Which is… like 80% the case for any of my maps. It was meant to be a seize map, but I might change it into a rout map, since the player group is divided into three groups.

The tileset was made by HyperGammaSpaces and I sure loved using it! I actually wonder if any of the other ones in Sacred Echoes are free to use, but since most of them aren’t in the repo I would guess not.

Hope you guys like this one!

chswamp

20 Likes

Of all the snow maps I made, this one is probably my favorite I guess?
I also used frozen river tiles for the first time. They probably make no sense in terms of realism, but eh. In a fantasy game, who cares haha.

snowych

21 Likes

This is one of my favorite FEU threads, and you are one of my favorite mappers currently in the scene. I hope this thread gets more popular because your maps are fire

6 Likes

Agree with Peerless - I love looking at your maps since you have such a good grasp for keeping things looking natural. Great blending of grass tiles, good patches of lighter/darker grass, cliffs that aren’t straight and angular, good design concepts, etc.

5 Likes

Chipping in here as well to provide some more agreement that these maps blow me away in their aesthetics and just how much they please the eyes to look at. As someone who really struggles to make maps look and feel natural, these kind of examples are worth their weight in gold.

1 Like

asdfgh wow, I don’t really know what to say! I’m so flattered by your words.
Thank you so much, I’m very happy to know you guys like my maps this much!
I will try my best to keep improving and your comments really boosted my motivation.

To give some advice:
Keep looking at maps you like, milom. Doesn’t matter if they’re from a hack or an official title of the series. Thats what I did when I just got started. It gives you a good impression of what you want to create and how things could look like. Coming up with a raw concept also helps a lot to make your vision clear:

What kind of landscape is it?
What is there to explore?
Whats the goal of the map?

Don’t get frustrated if it won’t look the way you want to at first. Because mapping really is a lot of practicing imo.

3 Likes

It’s been said here already but I wasn’t aware of your thread before and looking through these… Wow, your maps are really amazing and make me reconsider how I do maps.

2 Likes

A big spooky and dense forrest.

Its rumored that rare and dangerous creatures inhabit this place.
The player starts in the middle of the map and has to make his way through this
thick misty forrest. (yes theres fog of war) This map might end up being a multi-seize but I haven’t 100% decided so yet. But either way, I liked the outcome.
There are still a few others I have ready and want to post here, so feel welcome to look forward to more maps soon. ^^

soulforrest

14 Likes

A big mountainous landscape that leads to the entrance of a sacred forbidden kingdom.

As always, I tried to make the gameplay interesting by providing more than one way to go around the map. There are also two villages here to visit. Maybe a flier could come in handy.
Its been lots of fun to make this one and theres also a follow-up map to it, so stay tuned! ^^

sacredland

13 Likes

moar mountains
So, this is the follow-up I was talking about in my previous post.
The old path is leading to this sacred shrine, well defended by ancient guardians. I wonder what they might be protecting at this place?

Your party starts in the lower middle of the map, right between the mountains. Theres also a very obvious secret shop here btw.

(This version is actually different from the one I had posted on Discord, since I finally connected the mountains to the stairs like suggested.)

17 Likes

the ruined path leading to the shrine is a nice touch, although it looks a bit too much fragmented from the stairs onward to the inner side of the mountains.
time and weather are clearly not kind to buildings and roads in the long run, since they usually tend to consume them to some extent, just not that much.

for example:

old-stone-road-with-columns-ruins-city-side-turkey_463270-2819

i think it could be slightly improved if the inner path was more connected in terms of stone tiles, but that’s just me.
it’s still a nice map anyway~

1 Like

I’ve been kinda busy lately and couldn’t do as much as I wanted.
But I figured I could still post this ice castle map. Its done since quite a while,
though I just noticed I’ve never posted it. I ususally dislike (making) inside castle maps.
Thats probably why this is more of a semi-inside map with outside stuff added to it.

icecastle

The next map is just one of my first snow maps, but with added details.
Its over a year old and you can see how much I have progressed. feels proud

silentsnow2

15 Likes

A dark and sinister forest with ancient ruins in its midst.
What could possibly go wrong?

This map is actually from one of my side stories. They play either along/before or after my main project. I’m glad the way it turned out, I hope you like it!

cursedwell

Big thanks to Gamma for letting me use his tilesets/palettes. I’m having a blast with them.
Also, I’ve made a map concept for Apparoid very recently and it was quite fun. Go check his thread out, he posted the finished map just a few hours ago. ^^

17 Likes

Already back with another map.
This is the follow-up to the previous one.

I’ve tried my hand at a mausoleum / graveyard styled map, since I wanted to keep
the spooky theme I had prior. The fence tiles helped me to create some kind of hallway,
that fliers could pass by. That way I got a better use for the terrain above the building.

eeriemausoleum

Shout-out to Gamma again, for this amazing palette~
They really help to express a certain feeling.

19 Likes