Is there a patch to fix this bug for original FE6,7,8?

Sorry I’m new here and don’t know how to paste a gif in the post. The bug is that in FE6, FE7 and maybe FE8 as well, when the game is cleared and the ending is played once, no matter what I do, load the former save file or start a new game, the unit skips the first to steps quickly and then move normally.

To approch this bug, two conditions needed:
1.You must clear the game and play the ending once.
2.Game speed is set to normal.

In FE6 and FE7 (and even FE5) there’s such bug, I haven’t clear FE8 but I guess there’s the same bug. So is there a patch to fix this, or is someone going to fix it?

1 Like

Are you talking about the feature where you hold the A button and units walk faster? As far as I am aware, that’s an intentional feature. Not sure why it’s locked to a game clear, though.

Ahh yes! I didn’t know such feature and regarded it as a bug! Thank you! This has anoyyed me for a while. Maybe I hold it a little long when press the button. But it seems this feature can’t be switched off.

My apologies for a bit of a bump, but I was bothered by this feature years ago, too. I used the info from this thread to change the button from A to B in FE6 and 7. I chose B because it allows you to control the speedup at your command while never activating it by accident and still being able to see the targeting cursor on enemy phase. And if you want to skip that enemy cursor, just hold both A and B.

FE6: . 0x060E28 change 0122 to 0222
FE7U: 0x06D466 change 0122 to 0222
FE8U: 0x0794F6 change 0120 to 0220 (untested, theoretically true)

I’ve still yet to start a project on FE8, so I never made the edit there myself. I looked at the assembly just now, though, and what I listed makes the most sense.

The thread I linked also lists how to disable the game completion requirement. It doesn’t list FE6, but l wrote down something that I came up with myself:
“changed 0x060E1E’s comparison to 0000 0000”
I know I have it working on FE6, so it only makes sense that’s what I did since I have it in my notes. It’s what I’ll try if I need to remove the completion requirement from a new ROM, anyway, so I think I’d trust it. (Still gonna slap my past-self for not leaving better notes)

1 Like

Wow! This is very helpful! just what I need! Thank you very much! By the way, is there a way to disable this feature? I have changed 0122 to 0000 in FE7 and it seems working, but I don’t if I did it right.

I think setting it to 0022 would be safer. I tested it just now on FE7 and it didn’t activate on any button with that. All zeros would make the code use a leftover number.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you again!