Is Attack Stance overcentralizing?

I played another game with Attack Stance. And it dawned on me, even though I was on the hardest difficulty and I was intentionally avoiding the use of a unit who seemed way too strong, I basically never attacked anyone outside of Attack Stance. I basically never did anything outside of Attack Stance and I basically never used Guard Stance. Attack Stance made the game way too safe, and my units collectively way too strong. Any unit that could be a threat was safely eliminated, any damage they did to my tanky units with my attackers backing them up was never fatal, damage to my tanky units was rarely enough that I’d have to heal them in a way that risked my healers taking any damage from enemies I couldn’t take out in a single turn, and any attack they could do to my attackers was either easily survivable or never mattered anyway because two attackers took them out before they could counterattack. It felt as though the game forced the player into a singular playstyle where all that ever mattered was using Attack Stance.

Do you think Attack Stance is overcentralizing? Please argue for or against it in this thread.

No.

Blocking attacks is good. Pair up gives stats.
Im assuming you’re talking about Fates so no, attack stance is not over centralizing. Guard gauge and attack stance should be used in tandem for achieving the best results.

5 Likes

I think that might just be you. If anything guard stance is overcentralising. You tend to use attack stance and guard stance in equal measure for the best results during Conquest early and mid game but after that once the really powerful units start coming you’re better off using exclusively guard stance. The most effective way to beat Birthright, Revelation and the latter half of Conquest is to just have 4 or 5 combat units who have a pair up partner permanently glued to them for stat bonuses delete everything on enemy phase. That or fly skip maps. You don’t need attack stance for extra firepower once the Strength/Magic and Speed bonuses from pair ups becomes high enough and once you can forge your weapons more.

1 Like

I’m fundamentally incapable of change, almost never used pair-up in 14CQ and constantly got fucking rinsed. So I believe Guard Stance is great because it’s easier to believe that I’m fundamentally bad at adapting rather than just fundamentally bad at FE. Better to have the crippling life flaw than lose gamer cred, right?

2 Likes

After playing awakening, a game that highly encourages pair ups, only used guard stance, taking advantage of extremely powerful stat increases and attack support.

I love the changes in fates, and after learning the benefits of attack stance, mixing and matching between them is obviously the intended way to do so. Mostly when the going gets tough, usually a two tile wide choke with guard stance stuffing the hall and ranged attacking anything drawing near.

Overcentralizing though? Idk never had that happen to me. It’s usually less tactically difficult to grab a beefed prepromoted or powerful unit and give them a friend, put them into a field of enemies and watch the reds disappear. Guard stance is pretty over powered and can dumb the game down or at least take it in an unintended direction

I honestly never feel safe in attack stance, because the enemy will instantly attack stance a squishy and kill them. Planning carefully around attack stance is mandatory for me at least. Maybe its the difficulty. If you attack stance on lunatic you can get punished very quickly, I don’t usually see, at least in the early-midgame, units surviving more than 2, maybe 3, attack stances.