[Indie][Steam] Those Who Rule - Chapter 3 Released! (Open Beta V2)

Sorry I didn’t notice. The videos are slightly misleading though.

Yeah it’s not immediately obvious, and to be honest I’ve been thinking of switching to phase based turns to simplify the gameplay a bit. Most likely sticking with this though.

1 Like

Hey everyone. Been making a ton of progress lately and wanted to share.

Passive abilities for weapons are in place. I wanted to make two handed weapons really feel more powerful in combat than the one handed weapons, due to how strong shields can be. Still need help on what I should do with two handed swords though, maybe a “brave” effect, but that seems really strong. All two handed weapons will have the passive of their one handed variant in addition to their own.

Sword (1H/2H) - Backstab: Flank damage increased from 1x to 1.25x, backstab from 1.5x to 2x. Making swords the premier weapon type for flanking classes.
Lance (1H/2H) - Range: Can only be countered by other lances. This may be too strong, but will keep an eye on feedback during the next build release.
Axe (1H/2H) - Penetrate: Ignores 25% of the targets defense.
Sword (2H only): No idea yet! Send ideas my way!!
Lance (2H only) Pierce: Hits the unit behind the target.
Axe (2H only) Cleave: Hits the unit adjacent to the target.

Here is an example of the two handed weapon passive effects, pierce and cleave:
TwoHandedWeapons4Mb

Also gave the main menu a little more love with an animation as well as parallax effect. Not 100% necessary, but was really fun to implement and breathes some life into the menu:
MainMenuGif

New settings page as well, with some new options for disabling blood effects/screen shake (Key binding remapping soon TM):

Also if you can excuse one link to the game’s Twitter, a gif doesn’t really do the level up UI update justice. I think the sounds/timing were a big part of the update. You can see/hear the changes here.

Other than that had some small bug fixes here and there for the taunt status and other things users were reporting. Thank you everyone who took time to leave feedback, we got a ton of feedback on this past survey!

If you’re still reading this far, I may as well throw the kitchen sink at you, here is some new character art!

Honestly, I’m just having a blast right now. I’m hoping to keep this momentum going into the new year. I have a ton of cool stuff planned like completely re-hauling the prologue chapter. People left feedback that you needed to get to the actual gameplay quicker, and that’s what I’m planning on doing, in a pretty cool way (you will be taking control of some more powerful characters). We also have bows + archer, and healers coming up soon!

Thank you for taking the time to read this update. Would love to hear any thoughts/feedback you might have, I take it all to heart. Or if you have a really cool idea to make two-handed swords unique in combat, I’m all ears!

Hope you all have a great rest of the holidays. :grin:

5 Likes

I feel like 2H Swords should have like a knockback or “stun”/“guard break” effect to them? Especially if it disarms a shield temporarily or something, since you note how powerful they are.

1 Like

I like that idea! Someone else mentioned something similar in making the target “Off balance” on hit.

An off balance status could make it so they can’t dodge anymore attacks until their next turn, and their shield won’t regen the set amount at the start of their next turn? I really like that honestly. Maybe they don’t get any benefits from terrain effects either if I needed to make it stronger?

A knockback effect could also be cool. I have it on the “kick” ability, but no reason to not make it more prevalent as I think repositioning enemies adds a good amount of tactical flavor.

I like the anti-shield idea. Especially when it comes to enemies with 2 handed swords, since player shields are a really strong tool.

1 Like

Yeah something that reduces the power of shields would be good as I agree a self-regenerating health-bar can be pretty strong no matter how small. Someone made the suggestion that the axe should be the shield breaker and sword should swing for AoE damage, I might look into making that change too, then axes become really good at dealing with tanks with the combination of the “ignore 25% defense” ability, and then the “shield break” ability.

1 Like

Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a good start to the new year. Just wanted to share a quick update. The last weapon type, bows, are now fully functional!

BowAndArrowShortend

I’m hoping to make them feel more powerful than earlier FE entries. Couple things that I think will make archers in particular feel better:

• Archer’s will be given one handed swords from the start.
  • Archer’s class ability will be +1 range on bows. So while there will be other classes that can use them, archers (and their promotions) will always have a leg up.
  • Existing mechanics like zone of control and 4 base movement should make it easier to protect your archers from enemy melees.

That’s it for now to keep it short and sweet! I have a ton of updates with new abilities (personal, class and weapon), but I’m aiming to get a new demo out by March with a new prologue and chapter 2 so it’s best to let you all see for yourselves.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

9 Likes

Hello everyone!

Long time no chat. I’ve been hard at work re-doing just about about every part of the game, and I’ve updated the play-test with 3 new chapters! An all new prologue, as well as chapter 2+3.

A quick change-list to keep this short and sweet:

• Updated just about every UI to reduce the amount of clicks for an action.
  • Changed the turn order system from individual to team based.
  • Revamped story, cut down on early dialogue to get into the gameplay sooner.
  • Base menu starting in chapter 3 for managing characters.

There are also all new mechanics like the AoE attacks of two-handed weapons, loot from chests, supports, side quests, expended menu and setting options. I’ve been heads down for a while so the list is pretty long, but let’s keep it short and let some screens do the talking!

Would love to hear any feedback you have! I’ve created a new form here for the v2 play-test.

I also want to take some time to thank everyone who played the game, and helped it get to this state. I had 50+ responses to the previous feedback survey which absolutely blew me away. This community rocks and I hope the changes I made are in line with what the community enjoys.

:heart:

8 Likes

started the game and i’m on the first real chapter, will give feedback with the form once i’ve finished the demo but is there any way to check a unit’s stats in battle other than the top right panel from hovering and is there any way to check all the tiles an enemy can attack without checking each enemy manually?

edit: the game answered the first question in the next chapter, i’d prefer for the game to tell you in the prologue/chapter 1 though

1 Like

the game seems to have softlocked after i opened the chest? doesn’t respond to any mouse or keyboard inputs

1 Like

Ack! Thank you for reporting this I thought I fixed it. If you already got past it by alt+f4ing and continuing/restarting the logs will probably be gone, but if you haven’t if you can send me the file located at “C:\Users{your user here}\AppData\LocalLow\eBrothers LLC\Those Who Rule\Player.log” (Windows) that would be super useful!

It happened to me once, but I restarted before capturing the logs in the build so it wiped the error. :sob: I tried some things that I thought might have fixed it, and it didn’t happen to me since, but it might only happen on a fresh play-through. Thanks for confirming it’s still happening, I’ll try and repro/fix it from a fresh save file again tonight!

the game answered the first question in the next chapter, i’d prefer for the game to tell you in the prologue/chapter 1 though

Yeah I am kinda stuck between wanting to tell the player a lot of the mechanics straight away vs not wanting to overload people with 10 tutorials per chapter as it slows the game-play down considerably. I’m trying to keep it to ~5 tutorials per each chapter early on, but maybe I can mention early that all tutorials can be accessed in the menu in whatever order people want? Or I might be able to sneak in the ‘E’ to view unit info into one of the other tutorials since knowing stats is pretty important.

Thank you for taking the time to try it out and leave your feedback, it means a lot!

3 Likes

luckily i still have the log, here it is (had to upload to drive because feu won’t let me upload the log here directly) Player.log - Google Drive

2 Likes

Absolute HERO! Thank you so much that pinpoints it exactly. :heart:

It’s always a Null Pointer Exception. Shakes fist

3 Likes

how do you buy things in the shop? tried double clicking and pressing E after selecting the item, but no dice

It’s a bug unfortunately. :frowning:

The player should have 1,000 denari to spend, but right now it’s giving 0 to the player. I’ll be debugging that tonight on why it is loading with none at the start.

ah, i was confused because the game showed 1000 denari lol

Hmm that is something separate from what I’m seeing then. It shouldn’t ever stop you from buying as long as you have the necessary denari. When equipping it’ll stop you, but also show you the reason for not being able to equip something (wrong weapon type, equipment load too high). I’ll have to look into that to try and reproduce it from a clean game state.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

A quick update, the game now has it’s first trailer thanks to the work of @PentV! You can find it here (Embedded YouTube links haven’t been playing nicely):

I’ve also now released the first four chapters as a demo instead of a playtest as that allows the game to be part of the Steam Strategy Fest coming up on August 28th. Thank you all so much for the amazing feedback so far! With the demo release, I’ve addresses all the bugs that have been reported thus far (and a couple others).

Changelist
  • Chest not opening in chapter 1
  • Can not open Reyson character info in base.
  • All classes show skirmisher on the level up UI.
  • When clicking a unit to show their range and they have stand and defend AI, don’t show them as being able to move.
  • Mouse movement for camera should only work while the mouse is in the game screen.
  • Elias unable to attack Sven ch3.
  • AI not giving priority to death blows.
  • Two handed sword swings not hitting both targets when used by an enemy.
  • Increased starting denari to 1500.
  • Fixed an issue where you couldn’t buy from the shop when transitioning from chapter 2 to 3, requiring you to reload the game if you wanted to buy.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to give the game a shot, and a special thanks to @Kinetic1000 who helped me track down a particularly insidious game freezing bug!

If you haven’t already I’d love to hear your feedback on the feedback survey here.

Cheers!

10 Likes

Hey everyone! Wanted to give an exciting update to start the new year: We have a release date!

Q4 of 2024!

It’s been a long road, and I want to thank everyone for their support so far. It’s going to be a huge amount of work to get the remaining 17 chapters done in a year, but with the game now being feature complete, I’m confident I can get 2 chapters completed a month. As we get closer to the end of the year I’ll share a more concrete release date.

Like I mentioned above, the game is now feature complete, meaning promotions and weapon forging are now in the game! Let’s briefly go over how they will work:

Promotions:
6 base classes (Skirmisher, Fighter, Soldier, Defender, Archer, Healer). Each will have 3 options to promote into for their Advanced class, and then another 3 for their Elite class. Your choice of the 3 advanced classes does not restrict which of the 3 elite classes you can promote into, meaning you can mix and match to create unique builds!

Each promotion will come with 2 new abilities and potential new weapon types that will completely shake up how the unit plays/feels.
For example one of the Raider (Fighter advanced class) abilities is “For every kill, gain 1 STR. Resets each chapter.”.
One of the Acolyte (Healer advanced class) abilities is “Cartography: Allies moving through adjacent tiles do not consume movement points.”.

I’m trying to make sure each class opens up different ways to play/get around the obstacles of a chapter. Would love to hear any feedback you may have on this system.
PromotionUI

Forging
Weapon forging is the latest feature added, and it will allow you to upgrade certain weapons. These upgrades will not just be their stats, but also “refinements” which will be abilities that are added onto the weapon!

This is one other way that you can make each character feel unique in your play through.

Again, I want to start the year off thanking every single one of you who have given this game your attention, whether through playing the demo, giving feedback, or just taking the time to read these posts. You provide me with so much motivation and are a big reason why I am pushing to get a release before the end of the year. You’ve all been incredibly patient and I appreciate it. Excited to hear what you think on the added systems and I’m wishing you all a happy new year!

8 Likes