[Indie][Steam] Those Who Rule - Chapter 3 Released! (Open Beta V2)

Sorry for two posts so close together, but I was really happy with how the effects of the Forge UI turned out and wanted to share!
Forging

How it works:

• You have 3 levels you can upgrade your weapon’s damage and hit chance, for a total of +3 damage/+15 hit chance.
  • Weapons don’t break in this game, so upgrading will cost a lot more.
  • A weapon can have between 0-2 refinement slots.
  • Refinements add an ability to the weapon, 1 of which can be an “active” ability, at the cost of additional weight.
  • You can freely swap refinements between weapons. (I didn’t want to punish people for experimenting)

Weight will work a lot differently as it is influenced by your endurance stat, which can level like any other stat. So later in the game you’ll have more weight to do a full loadout, but you’ll progressively want to be carrying more and more throughout the game. You cannot equip past your max weight.

Curious to know people’s thoughts on this system. It’ll be the main way besides class choice that players will have control over how a unit feels. You can have up to 3 weapons, with the only real restriction being weight. The first refinement shown in the gif is pretty simple: “Sharpened: During the first 5 rounds of combat, this weapon deals +3 damage.”

If you have any cool ideas for refinements I’m all ears! I’ve been brainstorming a couple the past couple of days, but don’t have many set up yet.

9 Likes

Hey everyone, quick update!

I’ve updated the art style quite a bit to something that I’ve wanted to do for a while. Basically utilizing cel-shading, outlines, and a little higher saturation/contrast. Here is a before/after:

NewArtStyle2

I’m also starting to look to work with a writer so I can try and hit the 2 chapters a month completion that will be required if I’m to hit my goal of releasing TWR this year. I spent the first half of February doing the writing myself and realizing that it takes me too long to be able to create the levels/gameplay as well.

That said, almost everything in chapter 4 is complete and we’re moving on to chapter 5, which will be my first time creating a cave map which I’m really excited about. Here is a little sneak peak into the map with the new art style:
Chapter4Showcase

Trying to get a bit creative with what can be considered a “forest”/“brush” tile.

Also three new characters introduced this chapter, Duke Tobias, Cassidy, and Kaelith. The latter two being enemies… for now.

And finally, chapter 4 will be the first chapter that includes a voice acted world map narration! I was actually pretty hyped about this because I actually got a response from a voice actor that I’ve been eyeing for a while, but thought would not be interested at all. You can see the world map scenes on the Twitter post here.

And that’s basically it! Just trying to keep a healthy pace to hit the end of year goal. Not quite where I want to be, but I think having a dedicated writer will help a lot so I can narrow what I need to focus on.

Also would love to hear what everyone thinks about the change/tweak to the art style. I’ve mostly got positive feedback so far, and I personally prefer it, but I know it can potentially take away from the intended “grittiness” of the story. Though hopefully not too much.

Cheers!

9 Likes