[Indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Update: Thank you all for the warm response and for the support!
Here’s the Kickstarter campaign for the project!

And here’s the reveal trailer for those of you who missed it!

-ORIGINAL POST-
Heyo! It’s been a while, hasn’t it?

I know what you all are thinking: “Is Fire Emblem Midnight Sun alive???”, and well, the answer is no.
It’s dead, guys. I’ve been working on that fangame for way too long (over 3000 hours) and I’ve reached an age where investing that much time into something that can’t be monetized has become a problem. I know it sounds materialistic, and I’m the first one who would work and I’d be the first to work solely for “passion” if it were possible, but sometimes things just don’t work out as we originally intend…

Now then, let’s get to the good part, shall we?
I won’t go as far as explaining everything that has happened to me ever since the cancellation of the project back in 2017 (I’m always available for interviews and podcasts for that!), but long story short, 8 months ago I quit my full-time job at a big corporation (Randstad) to follow my childhood dream of making my own videogame. And that’s how I became Game Director at Studio Daimon.

Our first project as an indie studio is… Midnight Sun ! Yes, it’s now a legit game and it’ll be launched in 2020.

I officially announce that there will be a 10 minute “Direct” tomorrow at 5PM (EST) that will present the game to the world.

Here’s the link, by the way!

FAQ:

1. So, it’s not Fire Emblem?

No, it isn’t (copyright, duh), but it’s still a strategic turn-based RPG with some Visual Novel elements. I’ve tried my best to create a unique and compelling gameplay experience and I hope you’re looking forward to knowing more about the game!

1. What about the story?

It’s not an “alternate Magvel” anymore for obvious reasons. The new world is called Arvium. The main characters and plot points are similar to the original Midnight Sun, but there’s much more to the lore now.

1. What’s the current progress?

There’s… a lot of content already made. I’ve personally worked 2900 hours on this project so far (in 8 months… do your math haha) and that doesn’t even include all the work from the other 9 members of the team.

1. On what platforms will it be released?

On Steam (Win/Mac) and hopefully on Nintendo Switch!

Right after the Midnight Sun Direct, our Kickstarter campaign will launch. We’ve prepared some interesting rewards so we hope you’re looking forward to that as well.
This is all I can say for now – as for the rest, don’t miss tomorrow’s presentation!

And if you’re hyped as much as we are, make sure to share the good news with others! This means the world to us and we hope we’ll be able to achieve our dream. Thank you so much!

66 Likes

What a pleasant surprise with that sweet, surprising twist! It’s absolutely valid that sometimes, projects don’t go as planned and one has to scrap them to build 'em again. So there’s no need to worry, should you feel that way sometimes. The important part is that you have fun with your current ideas, and they work out the way you’d like them to! I’m sure you’ll do great!! :blush:

11 Likes

JESUS TAP DANCING CHRIST MIDNIGHT SUN IS AN INDIE GAME

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

(screw discourse and its Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence? nonsense)

8 Likes

If it isn’t a 2 mil $ goal i’m not donating

4 Likes

Hit me up for design advice, wink wonk. Super excited though, congrats!

3 Likes

WHOA! This is unexpected. I was a huge fan of you original hack back in the day, huge congrats for getting to make it an official indie game!

3 Likes

I knew you had it in you, Alfie. I’m hella stoked to see you taking things this far and I couldn’t be prouder.

5 Likes

Okay, this is epic

2 Likes

Super excited to hear this, MS was one of my first FE romhacks and I liked it a lot, I got kinda sad when I heard it got cancelled.

Congrats!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Holy geez this is awesome

2 Likes

If this makes it onto switch, that’ll be wild, looking forward to the release and I’ll be watching the direct!

3 Likes

wait what

yes
YES
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

MIDNIGHT SUN IS BACK

This seems amazing! I’m excited to learn more about this new version of Midnight Sun once it comes out. The original still is to this day an incredible hack, and I’m sure you can do even more creative and interesting stuff now that you’re not working in GBAFE or Magvel. FEXNA when

5 Likes

what an actual madman, you grabbed your dream and made it come to life, you are a god amongst the man

3 Likes

midnight%20sun%20meme

4 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to what your announcement was going to be… so very stoked for you Alfred! This is a must watch!

3 Likes

Well, this is certainly not something I ever expected. I’m curious to see how this will turn out.

4 Likes

Congrats on being able to not only revive a project but make it into it’s own game!

3 Likes

Congrats on the new venture! I’m looking forward to it, Midnight Sun was always a great game!

3 Likes

Seeing an indie dev coming from the FE community is super exciting - congrats on taking that first step! I can’t wait to check out the presentation tomorrow!

7 Likes