Genealogy of the Holy Perambulation

Okay my friend has another question:

Nightmare modules don’t work on the current version of the rom, because they’re designed for a header rom and it’s unheadered. However, presumably he was using Nightmare for some of the editing because that’s the Nightmare Gen 1 Character module screen in the first thing you sent me. Can you ask him if he has custom modules, or if he edited the pointers in the existing modules. And if it’s the second one, what exactly the pointers are.

there are two options-
either add a header back to your GHP rom
or go into the .nmm, and subtract 200 bytes from the addresses.
so 0x10200 would become 0x10000, for example.
This follows hexadecimal logic. If the module displays garbage info, the address is likely wrong.

She informed me she did the first option and it worked, thanks again!

So far this hack is awesome! Arden is a terror. I will say, while I’m only on chapter 1, I noticed what you did Tine in the changelog(erino), and I can’t say I agree. While I love that you raised Tailtiu’s level, the only thing Tine really needs is exactly one higher rank in thunder magic so she can use thoron… And/or give her major Thrud holy blood to use Mjolnir, which I would’ve liked, seeing as you went to all the trouble of giving the axe brothers Helswath. Regardless, this hack is awesome, and I’ve been on a huge Jugdral kick recently so this is just what I needed

Alas, you will not be using Mjolnir, Valflame, or Gungnir in this hack. Helswath being accessible is a matter of favoritism.
There isn’t really a good way to slot in Mjolnir, either- when would you get it? If your answer is “When the last character to wield it dies” then you’re getting it right before the Deadlords. By then, there’s not much point.
Weapon ranks are something of a nuisance when it comes to Arthur and Tinni. Tinni can’t be a thunder mage, because then that’d deny her Forseti access. So there’s no way to give her Thoron rank. I wouldn’t blame someone if they were annoyed with mage inheritence. It’s very finnicky with the rank system.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying my hack!

Hey There! First of all I really like your hack! It feels kinda refreshing playing FE4 with a few nuances and I’m enjoying it so far.
Unfortunately on chapter 2 my game freezes after the first turn of the mackily soldiers attacking. To be precise it is always freezing and messing up the whole screen when the ballista on the left from mackily tries to attack one of my units.

I’m using a headerless ROM and the 4.0 patch combined with the Project Naga translation.
Is there a way to fix it?

EDIT: I’ve been sitting here for around 90 minutes before I wrote this post and exactly a few minutes afterwards I figured out that it always will freeze for me, if the left ballista os attacking on the turn it spawned. But afterwards it works completely fine. So I guess, I found my fix for it but I let this post here, if it may happen to anyone else or generally for awareness

1 Like

Thank you for observing this error. I have received more than a few reports about siege weaponry causing game-breaking bugs. I will attempt to rectify these issues in the next patch. Though, in this case, I’m not sure what would cause it. Maybe an error with the enemy placement? It’s the only thing about the ballista that is different from vanilla.

4 Likes

GHP HARD131
I haven’t been able to replicate your particular error yet. What exactly do you mean by “ballista on the left”? Do you mean the one on the bottom left cliff, or the one next to the villages?

4.1 is out, and starting with this release, you can download it over on Romhacking.net!
If you don’t want to do that though, you can just hit the download button on the top post here. I update it every time a new version comes out.

This patch is intended to fix numerous minor errors (enemies with wrong names, siege unequip glitch) and slightly tweak the difficulty to be fairer early on. I still can’t find a root cause for the ballista freeze, but if someone with better technical knowledge would happen to know more, please message me.

4 Likes

Sorry that I didn’t answer that fast. I meant the ballista next to the villages
edit: here is how it looks on the turn when it happens. The moment the ballista attacks it looks like this and the game freezes

Having a blast with the mod so far. The mod has nearly every improvement I desire: better enemy layout and density (with less block formations); more defined bases; better balance for units. I’ve had a string of awful luck with my holy blooded characters, but your changelog doesn’t indicate any modifications to holy-blood growths so it may just be RNG.

I do have a question about Chapter 1, though. How in heck was anybody supposed to reach the far village in time? I felt like I blasted through my opposition about as fast as I possibly could, but there was nothing left but rubble. Are you simply supposed to skip past Genoa? My understanding is that the new bandit should provide incentive to charge Marpha as early as possible. The problem is that he blows through the village so fast that there’s little reason to actually make an effort; you won’t reach him in time anyway. Am I missing something?

Edit: Having gone through the changelog with a fine tooth comb, I think I will probably not continue the playthrough. There is so much here that I adore, but the aggressive changes to holy blood wreck an otherwise impressive hack. The beauty of your weapon and stat balancing is thrown completely off by the disregard for lore. Considering the greatest selling point of FE4 is the intersection of story and mechanics, much of the potential for this mod seems wasted. If you ever get around to dropping these extreme changes, I feel as if this would be the ultimate version of FE4 available.

2 Likes

The guy burning the village next to Genoa? Isn’t that just a few paces south of the starting point? While I do have worries about unreachable villages due to enemy placement changes, I’ve yet to actually encounter one myself. Brigands can be repositioned to account for such a scenario, if you can provide image proof of course.

There is so much here that I adore, but the aggressive changes to holy blood wreck an otherwise impressive hack.

What, you don’t want Helswath Iucharba?! Impossible!
That aside I have no clue what you’re on about. Aggressive changes? Really? First, if you wanna get technical, holy blood hasn’t been altered. The bonuses to growths are unchanged. If you’re referring to who’s bloods were altered, then there’s only one, and it’s Iuchar/Iucharba. Azel’s minor Bragi was removed 3 versions ago.

If this is a dealbreaker somehow, I’m sorry to hear that. I’m just really tired of people complaining about how my changes break the ludo-narrative when that wasn’t really a goal of the project to begin with. The goal, above all else, was to make a version of this game that is actually fun. I implore you to reconsider and continue the game before you come to a conclusion. That may change your perspective.

This may be an animation error, then. I see this screen a lot when the game freezes during combat animations.

1 Like

No, that guy is right. Trying to get to the bottom left village southeast of Marpha in time is basically impossible with the amount of fighting you have to do to even get close.

1 Like

I was specifically referring to Azel’s Bragi blood, which is still in the changelog, as well as Hawke (who, I mean, I haven’t ever recruited anyway). Because you don’t number them, it isn’t clear which changelog is the most recent, nor what has been reverted. It may be easier to simply include a “features” .txt.

I feel as if RNGSOMEONE has a different situation from me. The brigand didn’t go southeast of Marpha: he went southwest, to the village that tells you about Sigyn. Is this just a strange occurence? Was this not supposed to happen? Pretty sure I deleted the file I had, so I can’t show you the proof of it. Getting to the village southeast of Marpha is no issue at all.

Part of my concern with changes is that I believed I had finally found a means of introducing friends to FE4 after they’d bounced off of it. I don’t go in on that ludo-narrative thing; I just didn’t like Azel having Bragi blood.

Admittedly, this does raise the point that the changelogs are… bad. They just stink. My intent was that the more recent the file was made, the more up to date the changes, but if you read them out of order you wouldn’t know that. Sometime soon I’ll make a more comprehensive one and delete the older ones. I will go and fix that brigand. Thanks for the info.

I managed to complete the entire hackrom a few days ago and decided that I should definitely give some feedback.

First of all, my kudos on trying to hack one of my favourite FE games of all time. It is a great game as it is, but there a lot of questionable decisions regarding balance and design. Your hackrom does a good job on maintaining the original experience while adding some QoL changes and balances that are extremely valuable.

As for me, I have some concerns about some of the changes. I’ll try to sumarize the most important ones as politely as possible, but I beforehand I must insist that I found your hackrom very enjoyable and fun.

First and most importantly I need to talk about the 2-3 range Yewfelle. It is a buff that both Briggid and Faval definitely needed, and being able to completely cheese bosses is something that, while it could be considered broken, I can concede it is entertaining and not that concerning. However, there is a big problema near the end, and it is the fact that some bosses autoequip weapons to counterattack you, and while there are no conventional weapons with 3 range, siege tome fit this criteria, thus someone like Blume will counter Faval with Bolting. This causes the battle scene to play out in a weird way, but it is not that bad. The major problem comes when fighting Julius, because he will try to counter Faval with Meteo therefore unequiping Loptyr and becoming extremely weak. There is no point on recruiting Julia when you can just destroy him with Faval, and I think that defies how was the last part originally designed.

I also found a bitter surprise when I discovered that not all Kids could inherit Sol/Luna considering that you added some specific patches to allow characters to combine sword skills and using them with different types of weapons. I decided to try and experiment with some pairings and when I married Aidean to Dew, Lester didn’t inherit Sol. I fixed this myself with HxD and I will post here how to do it so you can choose wether to do it or not (and also to BUMP this information for future reference because you can only find it in old serenes forests threads)

Shout-outs to SmoulderingGT and Lamia:

This list starts at 7A975 in a unheadered rom and it’s $79B75 in a headered rom.

"Each character’s list is 3 bytes long.

They are all either D7 07 FB (middle byte contains sword skills. 07 means can’t inherit sword skills)

or D7 FF FB (can inherit sword skills).

To enable sword skills inheritance for a particular character, go to that character’s list, and change

the middle byte from 07 to FF"

They’re all in order and you just need to change all 07 bytes to FF and then all kids will be able to inherit sol and luna.

Last and maybe I’m just nitpicking but I found some parts of the game to be more boring to play overall. I’ve noticed that you changed the enemies weapons to ranged weapons, which is okay mind you, but I found this kind of enemies a lot of times and it felt too repetitive because it became more practical to just throw Tine with Forseti and call it a day. This felt a bit obnoxious especially in Chapter 9, where a lot of wyvern knights had javelins and it felt easier to just place mages warding the castles, also Hannibals army having defence rings, which again felt easier to just throw the forseti user there because your melee characters do not kill them reliably.

Additionally, Dark mages from chapter 10 having more magic and Nihil made a lot of characters harder to use. This, in conjuntion with what I mentioned about the range 1-2 spam, made characters like Ares too weak: unable to crit the dark mages with the mistolteen, not enough speed to double attack the new stronger enemies and not being able to prevent being put to sleep. And I’m talking about Ares, one of the strongest characters in the entire vanilla game, other not so strong characters struggle even more for the same aforementioned reasons: Lex, Johan, Fin, Oifaye… and also the fact that they do not endure as many hits as before and might even fail to even kill reliably because now every enemy is just stronger.

Overall, I think that somehow some design choices made me feel that mages were just better answers to everything.

Lastly, I would like to BUMP some old internet info that you could add to your hackrom if you want, and also for other people interested in FE4 hacking

Shout-outs to Shin:

"FE5 style Ambush
Basically the game doesn’t bother checking if a unit with ambush has less than half health. Change $04E431 from;

20 3B DF 90 14 A9 11 00 22 9D A1 87 90 0B BD 12
00 4A DD 10 00 90 02 38 60 18 60

to

20 3B DF 90 0A BD 24 00 89 00 04 F0 02 38 60 18
60 EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA "

Shout-outs to OtakuReborn:

Dual Stage pursuit: if you have pursuit, you’ll need +3 AS to double attack, but if you don’t, you’ll need +6 AS. Makes pursuit a not so all-important skill as it was in vanilla.

google: " [FE4] ASM for removing the Pursuit requirement for Follow-up Attacks"

Woah, thanks for the extra codes! I’ll definitely be sure to integrate the Vantage and sword skill fixes in the next update. As for your other concerns…
3 Range Yewfelle was never properly tested. It getting in was a matter of it working in the first place. It didn’t crash the game (Bows with 1-2 range did), so it stuck around. In hindsight, not a smart idea! I would like to go back and find some sort of way to make 1-2 Bows work, but either way the next version will remove the 3 Range from Yewfelle.

I probably gave too many enemies 1-2 range. The Dracoknights in chapter 9 in particular carry way too many Javelins, and aren’t substantially threatening even with them. Question is, what would make them interesting? FE4 is weird. Enemies often share the same inventory ten, or even fifteen times over. As a result, literally anything I do could be rendered dull. Though I’m sure there’s a happy medium.
Hannibal’s army was designed to be this big meat wall that you would need to break through with repeat attacks. While Forseti is an easy solution, there’s no guarantee that players will have that (I did not in multiple runs I did for this hack)
Magic is generally the best option, but non-Forseti spells are a bit riskier to play against the various brave weapons they have.

Dark Mages having Nihil is questionable, in hindsight. My justification for it was that it was a class skill that wasn’t obtrusive like Wrath or Vantage that made them a unique challenge, different from other mage enemies in the game. That they were rare enough that having Nihil wasn’t an issue. I may change this, or remove class skills from them outright. Feel free to give suggestions as to what I should do with them.

Lastly, I’ll change Mystletainn’s weight from 7 to 5. It’ll make doubling a bit less frustrating.

Thank you for your critiques! I appreciate it.

3 Likes

can holyn/Chulainn odo blood be uped to major also can we have more kids with axes then just leif and lexs bros kids

Which patch do I use here? GHP 3.1, or GHP HARD 4.1?