Whether I do this or not depends on how much interest there would be out there for something like this, so here I ask for your interest level…
Snek Makes a Chapter in Buildfiles
To elaborate, I would record myself working with buildfiles, making a real LoA chapter in the process. This could be just recorded and uploaded to Youtube or streamed and uploaded.
I could cover everything necessary for a new chapter and more important stuff:
- Working with CSVs (focus on the more common ones)
- Text insertion (maybe or maybe not formatting)
- Map insertion (maybe or maybe not creation)
- Essential graphics insertion (portraits, palettes, maybe more)
- And of course FE8 eventing!
** The FE8 event format: Event IDs, memory slots, the event counters, the queue, the event pointer table, and essential codes such as ENDA and memory slot manipulation
** Location, turn, misc, traps, character events
** Loading units and managing your party
** Conversations with the different forms they can take: includes working with backgrounds, no backgrounds, chaining backgrounds and text, TEXTCONT, TEXTSHOW2, proper fading
** Other useful miscellaneous codes/macros: cursor flash, camera, ASMC, scripted battles, etc
** Other things loseley tied to events such as death quotes, battle quotes, etc
** Conditionals (I may put memory slot manipulation in here)
In addition, supplemental videos could be made (to not make one mega massive video covering everything and to help me practice ):
- The buildfile format covering all EA codes, MAKEHACK, file management, etc (This would be necessary as a supplemental video: Watch this one before watching me make a chapter)
- Text formatting: Probably not too extensive, but I’d cover what you’d need to know. The format, loading, moving, and clearing faces, event interrupts, line break and arrow techniques, and especially the textprocess format and how to use it (might be covered in chapter creation main video)
- Mapping? I’m unsure if I should even cover this or presuppose that you know how to make a map and just pick up at insertion. This is an awfully niched thing, and I know other videos already exist about design, but I could focus on aesthetic? (Relatively low priority this one)
- ASM no seriously maybe managing installed engine hacks and an overview of how the Skill System works. jumpToHack, basic concepts of assembly, callHack, (lyn?). Probably would avoid actually compiling ASM and ofc writing it and whatnot, but this could serve to show what’s in an installer and how to make sense of it
- Music insertion? Likely the same deal as maps with presupposing that you have a working .s file. Unsure whether I would do this since it’s so niched (Also low priority)
- Other graphics: battle animations, map sprites, etc
- I’m open to suggestions! Lemme know if there’s any interest for something else or if I forgot something
These videos/streams/whatever would be pretty casual: No script, just a clumsy hacker working in buildfiles naturally and talking through what he’s doing in hopes to make a friendly step-by-step guide on how to handle buildfiles effectively. Casual means no pressure, no elitism; I just want to help people understand how these work. I’ll certainly make errors along the way, and that’s the beauty of it. Watch Snek screwing up and fixing errors!
Should I record some and stream the big one? Just record all? Stream all? If I stream, there could be a set time and date, and people could ask questions in Twitch chat in real time, which would be neat. Though again, how much interest is there? Let me know what you think.
I don’t want to step on any toes or do anything wrong here, let me know of any concerns or if I forgot anything. If I do this, I want to do it right. If there isn’t much interest, I won’t do it, but if you would like to see this happen, please let me know!