Garytop's Display Cabinet

you go make a insertable version?

Are you referring to Varian? I wasn’t planning on it. Since I thought I would re attempt him when I got better. If you really want it I could format it for you.

2 Likes

World of Warcraft Varian Wrynn will have mini potrait+ blink, frame? :wink:

Updated the main post with the below latest entries under the F2E section (World of Warcraft Varian Wrynn, Pokemon Brock and FE 3 Houses Manuela)

As per your requests, it turns out I did have Varian formatted a long time ago (may not be up to the same par as my more recent things) I just didn’t notice it until I went to make one, so as such he has been moved to the F2E section.

World of Warcraft Varian Wrynn
FE Varian
FE Varian
I am a sucker for cool and intricate shoulder pads like Varian’s here. I made this ages ago, but thought it was appropriate to post at the same time as the Kjelle I have just done. There was some extreme dodging here to fit them into the hackbox. I’m not 100% happy with how they turned out, but it was a fun excercis none the less. Varian himself I thought was a cool character and was one of the few characters I cared about post Warcraft 3. I do plan on doing some more Warcraft themed mugshots further down the line so I guess expect some more shoulder pads galore later.
EDIT: I found an old formatted version I made ages ago, so here you go. Although I do intend on making a new one eventually down the line

Pokemon - Brock
FE Brock
FE Brock Eyes Shut Alt
This is an old mug I did years ago, but in the spirit of shut eyes Zane I decided to format and release him. This was based on a scene where Brock does a “sexy open” eyes thing in the anime (I can’t recall when, but he was probably trying to seduce someone). So in actuality I did the open eyes one first, however here is a classic eye shut version as well. I recall when I first showed this one off, someone suggested I should use the hair for Spike Spiegal from Cowboy Bebop. Maybe I should attempt him down the line eventually.

FE 3 Houses Manuela
FE Manuela
FE Manuela No Hands Alt
Manuela from Three Houses, a fun character who interestingly is classed as an assasin if fought against post timeskip. I thought it would of been cool if you could of made her a dancer in the game although I suppose double dancer/singer could be broken. Although to be honest Three Houses was already pretty broken with the reclass system. Again like I mentioned in the Catherine commentary, I am a fan of most of the Seiros Faculty Manuela included. Can be sultry, cheeky and still a loser in love, demonstrating why in the game quite well.

+Fullbody
FE Manuela Fullbody
This full body was fun to do. I actually had another idea for her pose originally, but then realised it would be similar to the last 3 female fullbody/half body poses I have done and decided to go with what you see here. Was fun to do, however I still need to get shoes down pat (boots and flat foot shoes are easy, heels and fancy shoes on the other hand…) Also her coat, cloak thing isn’t quite well explained in her concept art and it doesnt really match her in game model, which doesnt really match her appearances in the FMVs either.

+Winking Alt
FE Manuela Winking Alt
Also formatted an alt of her winking as well for regular insertion

16 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entries under F2E (RWBY - Pyrrha and GunXSword Van) and the following entries under Observation Only (GunXSword - Van (old veresion), Dynasty Warriors - Cao Cao (DW6 Design), Final Fantasy X - Tidus (old version) and RWBY - Pyrrha (old version))

F2E

RWBY - Pyrrha Nikos
FE Pyrrha
I did a Pyrrha for a couple years ago, but didnt like how it turned out, so I did this one which looks a lot more like the character. I decided to revist her after doing the other RWBY mugs recently and you can compare the old version to this one under the Observation Only section. I think one of the trickier things to get right in these portraits or in pixel art in general is eyebrows/eyelines underneath fringes and bangs. Its a common design seen in Anime and Anime-esque characters, but I find personally its hard to translate to pixel art and that depending on the character design its better off hiding the lines underneath what ever is covering them.
On a side note, Pyrrha is one of my favourite characters of earlier season cast and her representation in the Chibi series was always enjoyable to see.

GunXSword - Van
FE Van v2
Ah “Van the Unemployed”, “Van the Freeloader”, “Hangover Van”, “Steel Van”, “Invincible Van”, “Pretty Boy Van from the Garbage Dump”, “Van the Unsung Hero who Gives It All He’s Got”, “Van of the Dawn”, “Daybreak Van”, “Nice Guy Van”, “Van that Weird Guy who Helped Out”, “Van of a Thousand Conquests”, “Van of a Thousand Naps”, “Van, The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo”, and “Van the Devil’s Swallowtail Suit”.

One of my favourite Anime characters and favourite animes, a short robot series with a nice succinct story. I had also done a version of him a long time ago, before the Brock mugshot I posted earlier, another character revist to see progress which you can see the comparison in the observation only section. In fact this time round I’ve added a few old portraits so you can see skill development and change. One bit of advice to any artist I can add is that you should revist/redo something you’ve done before after some time, it helps to see what changes you have undergone and will also let you see where you had problems in the past and help you focus on improving them. Staring at the same piece of art or non stop working on new things may sometimes hide flaws or problems to you.

Observation Only

GunXSword - Van (v1)
FE Van comparison
Here you can see my first attempt at Van (three on the left, new one on the right) and see the change in shading style, shaping, etc. I actually think the old Van was one of my better mugs from back then, however I was always bugged with his jacket shading and the fact I couldnt fit his hat in the hack box nicely.

Dynasty Warriors - Cao Cao (DW6 Design)
FE Cao Cao comparison
Ages ago back when Dynasty Warriors 6 was released I did a version of Cao Cao and Cao Pi from that game, in more recent years I have done a version of him based on his Dynasty Warriors 8 incarnation, however his facial design in those games has remained largely the same, so I still consider this a good comparison to review drawing style development. I wasnt very happy with his old mugshot and felt he was very bulky even though hes never depicted as such, which is partly why I revisited. That and his eyes and facial hair were not done justice either.

Final Fantasy X - Tidus
FE Tidus comparison
Back when Dissidia first came out, I also did a few FF characters based on their Dissidia art, all of which I deem currently quite poor, but its fun to look back on those. Here you can see the colours I chose for Tidus were more saturated and his body proportions and posing were really awkward. Since those days I take body posing and proportions into more consideration when drawing and sometimes I try doing those poses in real life to see if they seem feasible.
Other characters I did back then were Cloud, Sephiroth and Jecht, I may re vist Jecht again sometime, but I probably wont revist the other two for a while (I mean theres plenty versions of them out there, and I havent honestly thought of a way yet to get Cloud’s hair to fit the hackbox while maintaining the iconic look of his sillhouette).

RWBY - Pyrrha
FE Pyrrha Comparison
The first Pyrrha I did, I was experimenting with body poses and angles. It also allowed me to kinda cheat and hide her head piece a bit, but I wasnt happy with her face and her shoulders in the end. Also that pose meant that I couldnt really sprite her clothing much, since its not visible at that angle giving her a more nude look. was glad ot revist and make her look more like her character as depicted in the show.

12 Likes

man, the Tidus on the left looks already pretty damn good to me, it’s just the colors that might need some changes in terms of brightness/saturation on the collar part.
the pose is fine too, probably it feels a little awkward to you because of the yellow shirt portion wich may look a bit too “windy”, and the hair color wich shouldn’t match the clothes color.
if you manage to fix those two portions, the mug by itself is already perfect in my opinion.

mind you, the version on the right is also fine, but the other one fits the character better in terms of appearence, since Tidus has always been a little buffed, being a Blitzball ace and all that.
after checking the original material, it seems to me that the left version looks more inspired by Dissidia, while the right one is closer to the original FF X.

The evolution of Pyrrha: From cavewoman to Hunter Extraordinaire!

3 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entries under F2E (FE14 Fates - Ryoma and Hinoka, FEH - Anna (Askran))

FE 14 Fates - Ryoma
FE Ryoma
A CCC submission. I think one of the coolest characters designed by Kozaki, that lion’s mane of hair is crazy. I decided if I wanted to try and fit it into the hackbox I had to make his pose face towards the screen more so you could shift the volume of the hair to more behind him. Still was a fun challenge to sprite.
I also did in addition to his Crown Hoshidan Prince garb I did a alt in the Crown Nohrian Prince clothing (Xander’s) and just for fun because of his hair, I also did an SSJ (Super Saiyan) colouring of his hair (it wasnt quite a 1 to 1 recolour because some of the colours didnt quite fit).

+Ryoma Nohrian Alt
FE Ryoma Nohr

+Ryoma (SSJ), Ryoma Nohr (SSJ)
FE Ryoma SSJ
FE Ryoma Nohr SSJ

+Fullbody (Raijinto is sheathed)
FE Ryoma Fullbody

FE 14 Fates - Hinoka
FE Hinoka
Also another CCC submission. I actually prefer Hinoka over Camilla of the sisters, although to be honest both of their intro cutscenes are ridiculous for different reasons (Camilla fanservice overload and Hinoka spear-copter). She has quite the volume in her head of hair. I think its interesting that her design wasnt originally meant be for the princess and that Kagero’s was going to be the elder princess. I suppose then we would of had a big buxomed sister regardless of the path so I suppose its helps contrasts the families a bit, even though the rest of the siblings kinda reflect eachother’s opposite well.

I also did an alt of Hinoka in Camilla’s outfit, which turned out to be much easier to sprite due to it just being a shawl/cape thing at shoulder height.

+Hinoka Nohrian Alt
FE Hinoka Nohr

Fire Emblem Heroes - Anna (Askr)
FE Anna Askr
FE Anna Askr Hand
Another CCC Submission. Kozaki’s third take on Anna. Something I’ve noticed with Kozaki’s hair styles is that they often do a lot of layering on the the character’s fringes, you can see it in the Kjelle and Hinoka I’ve done as well. You know besides the wierd Askran Shoulder guards, Anna is dressed rather reasonably for a Kozaki character. After this CCC contest I think I’ll focus on using some other colours besides red. Part of the reason for doing the alts of all these submissions is because of the abundance of Red in their base designs. I’ll probably slow down a bit in October on sprites, because I have some personal spriting art projects lined up for October that probably won’t be posted on here.

+Anna (Shadow Dragon Jake Alt)
FE Anna Jake Alt

mind you, the version on the right is also fine, but the other one fits the character better in terms of appearence, since Tidus has always been a little buffed, being a Blitzball ace and all that.
after checking the original material, it seems to me that the left version looks more inspired by Dissidia, while the right one is closer to the original FF X.

The original was made based on his dissidia art, but the newer one is based on his OG art. However even taking that into account his far shoulder and neck dont quite make sense. I would demonstrate why it bugs me if I had my PC accesible at the moment

14 Likes

man, that Hinoka is just perfect :ok_hand:

1 Like

Bruh… you pop off with armor every freakin’ time.
Any tips on drawing armor? Especially the type that wraps around kinda oddly like pauldrons and collars.

1 Like

Any tips on drawing armor? Especially the type that wraps around kinda oddly like pauldrons and collars.

Thanks for the compliment.

Some insight into my spriting method using Ryoma as an example. I work with layers;

First step is I draw the person naked so I can understand what their body is doing underneath all their clothing (also helps me visualise if something is off).

Naked Ryoma:

Then usually I do make some line art over top until I’m relatively happy with it;

If I want a better understanding of the way the clothing moves or shapes, I can line over the existing stuff;
With layers I can turn off the Ryoma body in the background if I want to focus on the clothing more specifically as well.

Then I can start colouring the line art I’ve made;
If a character wears a lot of layers or important layers, I usually seperate the clothing into seperate layers and work (eg Ryoma’s pauldrons are seperate to the rest of his clothing done because they sit over his clothing)

Then I colour that in;

As for understanding the shape of things, it helps to look at multiple pictures if possible of a subject of reference, eg for Ryoma I looked at his Heroes, Warriors, Fates and Cipher art. Some different arts will get you different prespectives that help you understand the shape of things. Other times where reference art is limited I look at similar things or use experience to take liberties.

13 Likes

Did you make a naked ryoma fullbody? :moyai:

4 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entries under F2E (GunXSword - Wendy Garret, League of Legends - Garen (Rugged)) and the following entry under Observation Only (GunXSword - Wendy (old version))

GunXSword - Wendy Garret
FE Wendy v2
To go with the Van mugshot, here is Wendy Garret. Unlike my old version of Van I was not happy with the old version of Wendy I had so I defintely had to re do her. To be honest I’m still not 100% on board with this version either. Mainly the fringe and the face shape still bug me a bit, but I think its a bit of the anime style not translating well to the FE GBA style. Sometimes I guess you gotta compromise on that fact.

League of Legends - Garen (Rugged Skin)
FE Garen Rugged
Garen is one of my favourite champions from League of Legends (one of my first mains when I used to play ages back). This skin was one of the first ones I had for that game because me and a friend of mine thought it gave off a strong Fire Emblem vibe. It helps that hes voiced by Jamieson Price (ENG Lu Bu DW 5 - 8, FEH - Hawkeye, Virion and Zephiel) one of my favourite VAs (basically because of Dynasty Warriors (a lot of my favourite VAs are from that series)) that added to his appeal to me (that and the fantasy armour and shoulderpads). So I figured I may as well Fire Emblem him. I think if I revistsed this I would redo his undershirts, but the rest I’m pretty ok with.

Observation Only

GunXSword - Wendy Garret
FE Wendy Comparison
Alongside the first Van, I had also done a Wendy. The old one on the left’s eyes were really off and the shading was really harsh, a common thing amongst my older works. It didnt fit well with her clothing shading either and I think her eyes may have been a little too close. I did stick to her fringe style closer than I did with the recent remade mugshot though.

Did you make a naked ryoma fullbody? :moyai:

I do not have a detailed naked Ryoma fullbody, for fullbodies I dont tend to do much more detail underneath unless I intend to do something like a summer/swimwear version or give the character a lot of potential wardrobes, which I’ve only really done once.

3 Likes

So I haven’t updated this in a while, because I’ve been preoccupied for all of October, but here are some OCs to use. I have also updated the main post so it doesnt blow out the size of the post when you just expand the F2E section.

The main post has been updated with the below latest entries under F2E > OCs/Misc (Chris, Terrance and Blaze)

Chris
FE Chris OC
So for Spritetober 2022 I did a large personal project of spriting a friend a day. I won’t post those here because it was a personal project however I did like some of the fantasy designs I did for their clothing/armour and so for a select few I’ll OC-ify them and rename them to remove any resemblence to real people so they are free to edit or use. This character was made to be a Wyvern Rider.

Terrance
FE Terrance OC
Another OC-ified Spriteober 2022 sprite. I like this one for the interesting shoulderplate design I settled on. To be hones the coat of arms plate on the left shoulder was put there because I forgot about how I was going to layer the shoulders after doing the right shoulder and chest and decided it was easier to put a Grey Knight (WH40K) inspired coat of arms plate over the top. The hair is also inspired by Dunban from Xenoblade Chronicles as well. This character was designed as a Paladin or mounted knight in mind.

Blaze
FE Blaze
FE Blaze Fist Alt
So for those who lurk around the internet, this character design is directly inspired around a Human styled Blaziken from ages back. Because the majority of my Spritetober projects revolved around darker realistic hair colours I decided to do another OC inspired by some fan art I found many years ago (the original fan art is a male blaziken, and is pretty sick. It was found on a tumblr page called the Gijin-ka dex, but I’m not sure if thats the original artist since there aren’t credits over there). So the change to use some more brighter colours was a nice change of pace.

11 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entry under F2E - Other Game Franchises (League of Legends - Sejuani)

League of Legends - Sejuani
FE Sejuani HelmetlessFE Sejuani Helmetless Snow
FE SejuaniFE Sejuani Snow
So for those of you who don’t follow League of Legends, the Worlds Championship finished just last week and the team narratives for the finals was amazing. Probably the best Worlds I’ve followed since I started following. This year the reward for finishing a high enough rank (not me) is a Victorious themed skin of Sejuani, this champ. She was also heavily featured in the season start video for 2022 which is what I based the design of this sprite on. Even if you don’t play League or really like it, you can’t fault Riot’s cinematic teams. I made 4 variants of this portrait, Helmet or Helmetless and a version with her covered in snow specks (clean minds people…)

12 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entry under F2E - Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem Heroes - Laegjarn)

Fire Emblem Heroes - Laegjarn
FE Laegjarn
Honestly I think the Muspell and Nifl OCs from Fire Emblem Heroes are probably amongst my favourite Fire Emblem Heroes OCs. Only problem with the Muspell and Nifl ones are their crazy hair gradients which severely impact the amount of colours you get to work with on the rest of the portrait. Still Laegjarn is amongst my favourite designed characters from FEH. I got design inspirations for her hair shading and styling from Meziosaur’s artwork of her (P.S Meziosaur has done amazing artwork of Fire Emblem characters, I suggest checking them out). It was a fun challenge working out how to distribute her colours, I considered sacking a skin tone to get an extra colour, but managed to rework the trimming colours to get a output I liked. The only thing I would add if I had more colours is change the black of her non cloak clothing to a more blue black. Its a shame her Emblem is so big, I’m quite proud of her cloak shading (interesting reverse colour shading similar to the colouring style of Ruby Rose’s hair from RWBY. In fact here is a screencap of the cloak with out the emblem on it.

11 Likes

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entry under F2E - Fire Emblem (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon/Gaiden - Camus/Zeke)

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon/Gaiden - Camus/Zeke
FE CamusFE Zeke
So I decided to try my hand at Camus/Zeke. While I like Daisuke’s art in general I really liked Hidari’s take on Camus, so I went with that design for the hair and face. Although I went with the Heroes rendition of Camus’ outfit. I really like how his hair turned out so that really egged me on to try and nail his clothing. I came to realise that there isnt a good perspective of Heroes Camus’ outfit for his shoulders and epaulets with thin strands like Zeke’s are still a pain to sprite. Still overall happy with how they turned out. Now I’ve done 3 of Fire Emblem’s Black Knights :stuck_out_tongue:

23 Likes

Love to hear that the portraits are F2E, now I can add the mask to it

1 Like

Yeah pretty much anything in that main post besides the one section thats explicitly saying Observation Only is F2E and F2U. Maybe one day I’ll do a Sirius as well.

I’ve updated the main post with the below latest entry under F2E - Other Game Franchises (FF7 - Cloud Strife (Modern Design)

FF7 Cloud Strife (Modern Design)
FE Cloud
So I’ve pondered for a while on how to fit Cloud into the hackbox and this is my answer. I decided to go with his modern design (Advent Children/Crisis Core/Remake) which has less exaggerated spikes. Then I decided to go with a back shot to even angle his head and hair further away from the viewer. It also kinda doubles a slight homage to that cover art with the shot of him looking at Shinra from behind him. I did get a bit lazy and not put the screws into his shoulder pad (I wonder how they got there in the first place to be honest, because the Soldier armour in CC doesnt have the screws). However this was also a sprite to warm up a bit since I decided to take a break over the 2022 Christmas holidays to catch up on some video game backlogs, that and I had a artist block on what to draw.

10 Likes

So I’ve been afk for while… I have been lurking throwing a like or two here and there however so I have been watching how things have been unfolding around here, just been a bit too busy to post or draw things for here.

I’ve updated the main post with the below entry under F2E - Other Game Franchises (WH40K - Lion El Jonson)

WH40K - Lion El Jonson
FE Lion El Jonson
I’ve wanted to do a Warhammer 40K sprite for a while (again sucker for stupid shoulder pads) and with this character returning to the time period (this is a major lore thing) I thought it would be cool to sprite him (especially his Lion Shoulder). So I’ve been on a bit of hiatus in terms of spriting, I ran into a pretty busy period IRL and then was working on a few personal art projects. So this is my first public one back in a while. Honestly I did get lazy with his chest piece and far shoulder, and was mainly focusing on his Lion Shoulder pad which I am happy with how it turned out. I’m not too keen on the colour of his armour, but I was torn between going Dark Angel Green or Lore Black for his armour, so a bit of both? Still the hackbox gymnastics required for Grim Dark shoulder pads is always kind of fun. We’ll see how my pacing goes for releasing more sprites.

9 Likes