Garnering Attention for Your FE Fan Game

Greetings, friends!

Noguchi here, bringing you yet another post on my musings about the community. Today, I want to talk about making fan games and how to make them stand out, whether it’s through a hack, SRPG Studio, FEXNA, or something else. This community continues growing, and as it does, there is a larger influx of new fan games. This can be attributed to a number of things, but in general I think we can all agree that creating a Fire Emblem fan game has never been more accessible or easy. This is hardly a bad thing, as it’s cool to see different people who love Fire Emblem come together to create their own stories and games. Of course, once you’ve made your game, you want people to play it! While you should always focus on making it appeal to YOU, what’s the fun in making a fan game nobody plays? Where’s the reward?

That’s why you have to find ways to make your fan game stick out! There’s a number of different ways to do this, some more accessible than others. For example, having appealing art and aesthetics depends on having at least a few people onboard who are capable of making that. To get those people, you’ll need some way to get those people. More on that later, though.

There are two important things to consider when getting people engaged in your fan game: initial attention and continued attention. Initial attention refers to people who give your game a shot once, give you some feedback, then move on to other things. Continued attention, however, refers to getting people who will continue playtesting new patches or even join in on assisting directly through art, ASM, or other ways of assistance. Both of these are important. You won’t get CONTINUED attention without first getting some INITIAL attention. If all you care about is people playing your game, however, continued attention won’t be very important to you. If you’re striving to create a work of renown, however, you’ll need all the continued attention and support you can get.

Aesthetics

Making a fan game of any sort will require some effort in this department. While many members of the community will argue that these aren’t important, I find this to not be true. People will often try out your game if they see screenshots or videos that intrigue them about it. If you post your project on FEU and all that we see are vanilla FE8 mugs and tile-spam maps it is very likely that the people you want to try out your game will just keep scrolling. This isn’t necessarily through fault of your own, though. Most of us aren’t artistically inclined. This can make it extremely hard to pull in interest in your project to GET those artists on board. You should always consult mapping tutorials or ask for help, as visually appealing maps can go a LONG way in garnering interest from screenshots. Aesthetics are one of the biggest ways to garner INITIAL attention for your game. If people see something that LOOKS good, they’re inclined to believe it IS good and give it a shot. It’s important to note that most people in the community are aware of the lack of spriters, but with the number of mapping tutorials in existence, I can’t stress enough how important it is that your maps in promo screenshots look good. This is one of the big things that can hold SRPG studio games back, as the default visuals of SRPG studio are FAR less attractive than the charm of GBAFE. Even just using f2u assets from the many blitzes can go a long way in improving the look of your game (always give credit, though).

Writing

Writing is another key way to garner initial attention with your game. While not much of it will be seen in demo screenshots, it’s important that what you DO show has a level of taste to it. You don’t want something generic like “I’m Eirika, princess of Renais,” or “How much weight… can you handle?” Having a quote that creates a level of intrigue in the story you’re trying to tell can draw a player’s attention in remarkably well. Additionally, you want it to be grammatically correct. While many members of the community are not primary English-speakers, having things that sound too conversational or modern, have very poor grammar, or just don’t make sense immediately turn many of us off from playing fan games. There are members of the community who are willing to do quick occasional grammar checks, and you shouldn’t be afraid to ask people for help in that area if you aren’t comfortable.

However, writing can also help get continued attention for your game. While writing is often considered the least important part of a fan game by many people in the community, having poor writing or a bad story can turn many players off of your game. Try to stay away from typical story tropes used in FE. It’s important to find a way to make people stay intrigued by what’s to come. Stay away from generic tropes, including but not limited to the “dead dad,” “bad dude trying to resurrect ancient evil,” “mary sue lord,” etc. These are all things we’ve come to expect from Fire Emblem games, and while they CAN work, finding your own interesting story to tell can go a lot further. Engaging characters also goes a long way. A lot of people look for how well your game plays and is designed, but a lot of us also like to see story elements we aren’t used to.

Gameplay

This is likely the biggest way to get continued interest in your game. Having good and interesting design and gameplay helps people ENJOY your game, and if they enjoy playing it, they’re going to continue coming back and help you continue to improve. While a good story is worth a playthrough, good gameplay is worth multiple. Reward fast play so good players are pushed to use what they have, but don’t completely exclude slower players. Create a varied toolbox that keeps things tactical without turning it into an RNG-fest. Balance your characters precisely to fill the necessary niches without becoming too powerful. Anything you can do to create a fun and engaging experience gameplay-wise will help you continue to improve. This is where Vision Quest excels, as it constantly keeps you thinking without ever being unfair to the player. This is a large part of why Vision Quest garnered interest so quickly, as Pandan himself has said that the original look of the game was hardly something drawing players in. VQ also benefits from strong writing. Both these factors pulled a large number of artists and playtesters in, pushing it to be the outstanding product it is now.

Gimmicks

This is perhaps the most dangerous area we’ve discussed. Gimmicks can make your game stand out immensely for any number of reasons, good or bad. Before we get too far into this, I want to reiterate that no gameplay choice exists in a vacuum. Many things are often criticized for their implementation before being criticized for what they are on their own. A prime example of this would be in the form of skills. Having too many skills is often considered bad. However, having a few skills to help accentuate a character’s niche without making the game too much of a “oh shoot I missed that” fest can make each class feel more unique, and therefore, more worthwhile. Lowering the vanilla skill numbers and limiting overpowered proc skills are a few ways to keep the balance of the skill system in check. Gimmicks don’t work well on their own. If you just implement something without building your game around the knowledge that that exists, you WILL create a poorly balanced mess that isn’t fun to play. Trying to implement a gimmick after already having completed a large portion of your game is sure to go poorly unless you take the time to rebalance older parts of the game around it. Every choice has impact and you need to account for that no matter what that choice is or when it’s implemented.

It should be noted that gimmicks come in many forms. For example, The Nameless Heroes makes Capture a key part of the gameplay. It works very well for TNH, as the hack is built around the knowledge that capture is implemented. If you design most of your game to be played like vanilla Fire Emblem, but then implement something like capture or even the skill system, the balance will be thrown off. You could also use a structural gimmick, like we do in Legends of Avenir. Interesting things like this that break the formula of a typical FE-game can garner a lot of initial attention, and if done right, they can garner continued attention as well. Just make sure to try and find something interesting.

Reputation/Publicity

Reputation can also influence people’s attitudes towards your project. If you’re a no-name, it may not help you get a ton of people onboard. Try making a few chapters and reaching out to individuals to try them out. Joining the discord is a GREAT way to get connected. Additionally, if you’re rude or condescending, nobody wants to help you out with your stuff no matter how cool the concept may seem. Strutting around like you know everything also doesn’t help your case. Most of these issues aren’t entirely related to this thread of thinking, but you want to be personable, friendly, and professional when you’re starting up your own project because what may start as a solo project may very well turn into a whole team project. An example: even though Pandan is the “creator” of Vision Quest, it wouldn’t have been possible for it to get where it is without the tons of people he’s credited. He led the team that created Vision Quest. If you’ve not really done a whole lot to show off your project, that’ll also impact your ability to get people interested. You want to make sure you introduce your project and have something to show. A few screenshots, a small demo of a couple chapters, and a well-written introduction so that people know this is a real thing that you’re creating. Don’t reveal too much (so that people have a reason to play) but don’t reveal too little (otherwise it’ll look like you’ve not made anything)

Interestingly, releasing a “completed hack” is a very quick way to garner a LOT of initial attention. Many people refuse to play incomplete hacks, for one. People are also always curious by “dark horses” such as these. However, this isn’t an excuse to keep your project entirely secret. Many of these “complete hacks” struggle to get full time members on board because people play through it once, report the likely NUMEROUS bugs (as “secret projects” rarely have enough playtesters to catch them all), and then never touch the game again. If you truly want to keep the project secret until release, try to get friends to playtest it. Find the bugs, find the design. On top of that, there’s no reason to avoid being active in the community prior to making it. Playing hacks, watching videos, and talking to people are just a few of the best ways to learn about how to design a well-made hack. Then, you can release your hack in a truly completed state, with relatively few bugs, a good look, and fun gameplay. Having playtesters is crucial for any fan game, as we all have holes in what we’re capable of creating ourselves and need people to bring our attention to where those are.

Continued Attention

This is a section that’s solely going to be about retaining continued attention, because there’s a level that certain factors OUTSIDE of what you’re creating can influence how long people stay engaged in your project, particularly those that are making your art, ASM, or other direct forms of assistance. There’s a number of things you have to communicate very clearly when you’re leading a team on a project, because when you’ve pulled other members of the community in to work on something, you’ve become more than just someone making a project. You’ve become a LEADER. You have to clearly communicate and show progress to keep people engaged in what you’re doing. Otherwise, they have no guarantee that what they’re doing is going towards anything. I know some people disagree with this sentiment, but because none of us are being paid for our work (commissions aside), you have to show that you’re just as dedicated to a project as the people trying to help you with it. It’s disrespectful to not show this level of courtesy to the people working under you and continue to expect them to contribute. They are free to do what they want. If they don’t feel like there’s any payout to them contributing to your project, they likely won’t continue to do so. Being transparent, communicative, and continuing to do your work on your project will help keep artists and other members of the community on board with what you’re trying to do. If you don’t uphold your side of the bargain, they have no reason to uphold theirs. Basically, communicate clear progress with your team so they know work is still happening and have motivation to continue working. This helps you keep people on board to help you IMMENSELY.

Conclusion

Above all else, you want to create a quality product in all areas. It should be fun to play, have an engaging/interesting story, look good, and be unique. In short, strive for quality and a product you can show. Getting people on board to help you with this can be tough, but hopefully what I’ve written helps you figure out what YOU can do in order to make your game better to get other people in the community interested. This doesn’t even just apply to new people. Those of us who have been here for awhile can always learn better ways to improve our projects, get them noticed, and be better towards the people helping us out.

As always, thank you for reading! If you have something to contribute to the conversation, feel free to drop it below; there’s a lot that goes into making a fan game so I’m sure I missed something!

34 Likes

make fun game
that is all

23 Likes

i :heart: you noguchi but i gotta do this for my boys who can’t read

tldr;

make it pretty
show off relevant, intriguing screenshots
be grammatically correct
have a unique premise & story, avoid overused tropes
use Vision Quest as a reference for gameplay
have a limited number of cool gimmicks, integrate them well
be considerate with skill usage
don’t get the popular forum people to not like you (bruh)
join the discord (lol)
make a complete hack to get attention
have friends who playtest your stuff
play hacks to make good hacks (err)
show progress to keep people engaged and motivated
make a quality product
if you struggle with doing these these things, seek help from people

17 Likes

Gameplay is King.

Playtesting (both in the bug-finding and gameplay testing sense) is incredibly important and understated.

Don’t be afraid to go back and edit your work. A lot of hacks dislike stalling new chapter progress to fix what is less strong, but chances are if you don’t improve these things, players may not want to continue forward. I’ve redone each of VQ’s maps at least once (some minor, some major), and the 2nd attempt after feedback is always stronger.

Get used to criticism and know how to filter noise from quality. Poke into vague or general feedback. So often we see “hack bad”, but never really much into “why” - the why is the meat of it, and then you can assess if it is something actionable that can help.

Thanks for sharing and for the shoutout, Noguchi!

14 Likes

When you’ve spent weeks tirelessly working on a hack, why sell yourself short by simply dropping your UPS in a new thread, or accompanied only by walls of text?

Make your thread pretty with pictures and formatting. Update your first post once in a while. Spend an hour to really nail those 250 words. You haven’t won favour just yet, so save the rambles and many ideas you have for later.

I will be taking your advice and working more to really sell my project with the presentation of my own thread. Thanks for making this thread!

11 Likes

I’m sorry but this needs to be said: if I have to scroll to read your entire post I’m not going to read it

7 Likes

Well, this post seems to be devoted to FEGBA hacking, not FE fangame making in general.

Regardless, I say that if you want your hack to stand out here, put effort into visuals to set it apart from every other hack out there, put effort into gameplay so people would want to have fun with your project when picking it up, and make use of any features you can to set your project away from others. Especially with visuals. Slight visual changes help a lot in making your hack feel different.

I often see people complain about changing things too much; my response to that is to change what you want and see if it works out. I am sick of all the people saying to stick to vanilla as much as possible, going out on your own ideas is a good thing in my eyes instead of a bad thing. A new project will require adjustment regardless of how similar it is to the vanilla game. As long as the changes are helpful or build the game’s own feel, there should be no problem in changing the established vanilla game’s standards. Many of the issues I have with projects feeling “samey” comes from this mentality, I find. People think that changing the established vanilla is bad, so they keep everything the same and their project ends up seeming like another FE8 hack. I’ve seen this mentality start to go away, but it’s still there and I find it to encourage stagnation instead of progression.

When it comes to people using fangame makers like Lex Talionis, FEXNA/FEXP, and SRPG, I see significantly less of a reason to keep “vanilla” standards, especially with SRPG which has basically no standards. Do what you want with those, there’s nothing tethering you to any game’s standards since you aren’t hacking a game. Do try to make your game feel unique in those as well, the lack of limitations provides much less of an excuse to be lazy. I see many an SRPG project be creative with visuals, the existence of the FE5-based tilesets mcmagister made really help in that department.

My last tip for fangame makers is to ignore useless or unhelpful advice, like Pandan said. A lot of people say “hack bad” or “idea bad” without giving any legitimate evidence as to why. Make sure that the person who posts isn’t just trying to start conflict. I see many discussions where one side just assumes that they’re right, so they say meaningless statements to call other people to them that will agree. I have many a controversial idea that I have shared in the past, but they’ve gotten constantly shut down because I don’t have the same way of thinking the bandwagon does. Ignore these meaningless statements (for the most part), see the situation from all sides before jumping on the bandwagon.

1 Like

This is a great and comprehensive post, Noguchi. Lot of good principles here to consider.

Only thing I’d add is that Rome wasn’t built in a day, both with regards to making your game quality, and garnering support for it. It may take a significant amount of time to get to where you’d like to be in these areas, but I’d encourage those with fledgling projects to stick with these principles, and hopefully, you can make something that you’re proud of and that others can enjoy and support. One step at a time, learning bit by bit.

6 Likes

At this point, the English SRPG Studio community is well aware of the problems with the RTP assets, but is still struggling to find the means to address them. We have almost no artists talented enough to make assets that can compete with the GBAFE aesthetic so many people seem biased towards. The Japanese community has made plenty of custom assets, but these still largely adhere to the RTP look and don’t help the situation.

The seemingly obvious way to attract more artists would be to increase awareness of the engine by putting out more games with it, preferably completed English-language ones of actual decent quality. But then people don’t want to play these games because they apparently look too ugly, and so the attention doesn’t come. It’s sort of a Catch-22 situation.

Right now, MarkyJoe is trying to organize some artists who’ve worked with him to make a new set of community assets that improve on the RTP look, but the project seems to be on hold until those artists finish whatever they’re doing already.

The only other thing we can seem to do now is keep working towards making completed full-length games and hope people who don’t care so much about graphics are willing to play them.

3 Likes

It is a shame. I have given my best attempts at helping this issue myself, but this is in a mainly unreleased project and I can’t come up with some original assets like character portraits. The main issue I have is that people undersell the engine’s benefits due to the graphics, when SRPG already has a lot of features GBAFE already has, and a lot more versatility in some features. I find that the stagnation of GBAFE projects are kinda driving people away from using SRPG as an engine.

I find that the stagnation of GBAFE projects are kinda driving people away from using SRPG as an engine.

Huh??? You were making sense until you said this. If GBAFE projects are stagnating, then how does that affect SRPG Studio?

Oh, sorry about that. I didn’t explain that to the fullest and was a bit vague.

Basically, the “stagnation” of FE8 hacks was more referring to overexposure. FE8 hacks have become so commonplace that the community has established them to be the norm. SRPG projects end up being like hacks of other FE games, they just end up getting less attention.

It’s become so prevalent that “GBAFE” is often used to refer to things that are only in FE8, and things that are prevalent in FE8 like branching promotions are treated as essential. Even many SRPG projects use FE8 terms and design principles, for that matter. There’s way too much FE8 stuff out there. It kinda feeds on itself in the sense that the more FE8 hacks there are, the more exposure they get and more developments are made, which in turn results in non-FE8 projects getting less attention and FE8 projects getting all the attention, which results in more FE8 hacks. It really is a catch 22. You either have to cater to the already large FE8 community or you risk people losing interest in your project.

I disagree - I think the reason FE8 is so standard is because you can do so much with it. Even though it is built in FE8, I think recently there has been a lot more interest in breaking away from the numbers and gameplay style/mechs of FE8 itself (like removing branching promos, more player phase oriented gameplay, etc.)

Trends change with time of course. I doubt what hackers are doing today will be what is done 2 years from now, stylistically.

I think SRPG projects don’t get as much attention because it feels less familiar than FE aesthetically, and because to those who haven’t explored in-depth, it is unclear what the benefits are to using SRPG studio over hacking GBAFE.

Like I said, trends can change. SRPG studio feels new so it’s only a matter of time until there is a high profile project that draws people in and that inspires more people to use it. (kinda like the shift from FE7->FE8).

1 Like

Choosing FE8 over anything else isn’t purely for getting on a bandwagon… it’s by far the best-understood of any of the GBAFEs and the best to work with for a variety of reasons. The FE8 event engine’s superiority to those of FE7 and FE6 alone is reason to avoid them.

Talking about SRPG or other alternatives, I personally can’t imagine why I would want to deviate from GBA. Like I said, we have an excellent understanding of FE8, and there’s still so much more to document. Working with the challenge of a pre-assembled ROM is part of the fun, and I feel that our only limitations are those of the machine itself (and the work we’re willing to put in of course).

2 Likes

I think I better understand what you were trying to say now. So another issue is a lack of distinguishing gameplay features from FE8 hacks? I suppose there’s not much to be done about that other than continuing to play up crazy technical stuff that can be done with the engine. I can only hope mine and robinco’s games are slight steps in the right direction, robinco’s especially since it too is a very solid FE experience that’s coming very close to completion and is arguably better put together than even mine.

As for other high-profile projects, for what it’s worth I have seen more and more people from FEUniverse like TactHack, Vain, and Zaim slowly trickle into SRPG Studio’s Discord servers. So who knows.

I’m aware that many FE8 hackers are building away from the standards of FE8. I’m more referring to base game standards like classes, weapons, the graphics, and other things normally taken for granted. Actual choices made for maps and other such game designs can vary. The issue I have with what you’re saying is that gameplay choices like map design and balancing can be done in any FE game and any engine. They’re not necessarily locked to FE8. Many improvements made through FE8’s time have been done in other games and in SRPG, even those aren’t locked to FE8.

I agree that a big project would be helpful to give more attention to SRPG rather than FE8 hacking. Time will help bring the engine more to the forefront, what I’m worried about is that the progress on FE8 will outstrip SRPG. Sure, both will grow, but FE8 has the advantage of popularity and will grow more exponentially than SRPG.

Snakey, I believe you have misinterpreted the “bandwagon” sentiment I expressed. I was not referring to people using FE8 because it was popular, more the arguments that come out of people wanting to establish a set of “normal” opinions about design in the community. I understand why people use FE8 over 6 or 7, as well as other games. I was not asking why people weren’t hacking FE6 or 7, more about non-GBA and SRPG games. I’m more worried about the state of other FE hacks and SRPG falling out of favor and getting less attention than I am about FE8 getting too much.

Many of the people who like working with buildfiles and ASM already have connections in the community and extensive knowledge of the game, it makes sense for them to want to stick with FE8 rather than jumping ship to an engine they don’t understand. I’m more referring to all types of game makers, including less experienced ones who may not know buildfiles or ASM and just have Builder to work off of. To them, working in SRPG may be easier and more intuitive than buildfiles or ASM. The group of elites who are into those kinds of things have major advantages others don’t.

1 Like

This all makes sense, thanks for explaining.

I’m still not sure I understand what the risks are if SRPG studio is less popular than FE8, though.

1 Like

Oh, I believe that the risk is that the hack may garner less attention, like the original post was talking about. From what I’ve seen, non-FE8 projects tend to be a lot less exposed than FE8 ones since SRPG and other FEs hacks are less popular.

1 Like

Basically, any well-made FE hack/clone should have a chance to get the recognition it deserves regardless of the engine it’s made in. I see FE8 hacks get feedback here all the time. Meanwhile, getting feedback on your SRPG Studio game here is harder than building a snowman in the middle of July. In my case, somebody will occasionally drop by my game’s thread and compliment the halfbodies Furan makes, but that’s about it. I get nothing substantial that could help make the actual gameplay experience better.

Now that I think about it, most of the positive responses my game’s garnered here having to do with Furan’s art makes a disturbingly large amount of sense.

2 Likes

Yo Von. As much as I would like SRPG Studio to get more attention, keep in mind that this is an FE hacking community. It’s not necessarily the same demographic.

1 Like