Fire Emblem: Wings of Dawn [V1 - 13/30 Chapters]

00wod_title_screen

Hello everyone. I’d like to share my first go at a hackrom, titled Fire Emblem: Wings of Dawn. This is a hack of FE8U created in FEBuilder, and the current build contains 13 fully playable chapters out of a planned ~30. This is a gameplay-focused hack which aims to capture the magic of old school Fire Emblem, and draws much of its inspiration from the Kaga era.

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Gameplay

WoD prioritizes uncomplicated and elegant gameplay, while still allowing for player creativity and expression. Skills are primarily limited to series staples, and stat values themselves are rather low in order to keep computations straightforward and easy to calculate. The map design and side objectives reward strategic movement and efficient use of every action. I try not to go overboard with enemy quantity, but enemies hit fairly hard and accurately.

I personally prefer to play past unit deaths, only tending to reset in the most dire of circumstances or when I lose a favorite unit, and the hack is designed to accomodate this playstyle. The cast is large and units generally can contribute effectively without investment. Growths are relatively low, allowing units to come off the bench a few chapters after joining and still make an impact despite missing out on level-ups.

Some other features to give a sense of the gameplay:

• TRS style promotion (level does not reset). Promoted classes do not receive reduced experience.

• DSFE style avoid (Avoid = Attack Speed + Luck)

• Magic types merged into one weapon type (light/dark replaced by daggers/ballistae)

• Unit inventories sent to convoy on death

• Additional objectives, including Thracia escape and defeat multiple bosses

• Limited durability and an emphasis on resource management

• Str/Mag split and hybrid classes such as sword troubadours

• The usual ”QOL” including Thracia trade, actions after talk, etc…

Story

The story is meant to be economical and to pay homage to some recurring themes and tropes of the mainline series (hopefully without the requisite pitfalls). Writing is not particularly interesting to me, but I tried to come up with something relatively entertaining.

To make up for my lack of affinity for writing I try to make the most of the FEGBA event engine in order to engage the player visually.

Difficulty

WoD only includes hard mode (for now). It should be fairly challenging but it shouldn’t veer into “lunatic” territory.

Screenshots

wod.emulator-555
wod.emulator-5
wod.emulator-30
wod.emulator-26
wod.emulator-12
wod.emulator-19
wod.emulator-23
wod.emulator-9
wod.emulator-3
wod.emulator-333
wod.emulator-7
wod.emulator-4
wod.emulator-13

Credits

Credits

Known Bugs and Oversights
  • The save slot color does not display as intended (changes to back to red).

• Some sporadic pieces of dialogue are not yet written (parts of Ch. 3 End, Ch.7 End, Ch. 8 End, Ch. 9 Start, and 13x).

Thanks for checking out my hack! This project has not received any outside playtesting so I could definitely use some feedback. I appreciate anyone who gives it a go in its current state.

19 Likes

Played through a bit of it, but I just wanted to report a bug in Chapter 3. The command used to load in blue units doesn’t account for dead ones, so any dead units will load back in which leads to some jank. Otherwise, hack has been solid so far, and I’m looking forward to playing more of it.

2 Likes

sounds dope, looking forward to trying this. hope to see this at FEE3!

2 Likes

Played through a bit of it, but I just wanted to report a bug in Chapter 3. The command used to load in blue units doesn’t account for dead ones, so any dead units will load back in which leads to some jank. Otherwise, hack has been solid so far, and I’m looking forward to playing more of it.

Thanks for the report! Seems I used the wrong load command. It’s (probably) hotfixed now.

sounds dope, looking forward to trying this. hope to see this at FEE3!

Thanks! I’ll think about FEE3. I’m not really comfortable recording anything myself, but perhaps I can work out some kind of exchange.

1 Like

Hugo is not able to use Iron Blade despite having D rank in swords. Are Blades locked to cavs or is this a bug? Also, nice smorgasbord - or rather, smorgåsbord as it should be written - of Finnish / Swedish names.

1 Like

There’s a good amount of people who are volunteering to record others’ projects, I’d recommend checking out this thread: FEE3 2022 Help Thread

2 Likes

My favorite Kaga Emblem feature.

Really interesting hack, I’m looking forward to play it in the future.

4 Likes

Hugo (and Sanna) only use swords while dismounted.

The dismounting stuff is an experiment that I’m seriously considering removing altogether. In its current state it’s kind of confusing and I don’t think it adds much.

Updated the patch to remove sword rank from the weapon rank display for the aforementioned units until they take their dismounted forms for the first time.

I’ve been reasessing some of the early chapters and I’ve decided the early game is more difficult and punishing than I would like, even for hard mode. Part of this is an unintended consequence of injecting some chapters into the early game (notably chapter 3), which makes the cast size build more slowly than it used to and consequently rather heavily punishes early losses. I’m looking into dialing back the difficulty of Ch. 3-6, adding an additional recruitable or 2 in this section, and/or shifting a unit or 2 to join earlier.

I’m trying to strike a balance. On the one hand, the early game is an opportunity for uniquely tight design because as a designer one knows more or less precisely what tools the player has access to. But, I also want to make sure I don’t stray too far from the hack’s philosophy that it should be playable even if units are lost.

Anyway, I’ve updated the patch to move to tone down Ch. 3’s difficulty (this chapter was kind of egregious on release lol), move the first heal staff drop to Ch. 3 (adding Ch. 3 unintentionally stretched the first heal staff pretty thin), and make a few other small balance changes included in the change log. I’ll be making the updates I alluded to above fairly soon. I’ll also re-emphasize that this project is still very untested (and it seems releasing a project is a pretty good way to suddenly realize everything that’s wrong with it).

I plan to add normal mode back in once I have a better sense of where hard mode is situated. Thanks to everyone that’s downloaded so far!

7 Likes