Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade +

This project looks great! If you’re interested, you can use the backgrounds I ported and edited from Final Fantasy games for GBA to be used in Fire Emblem games:

But if you want to keep the original ones, that’s okey, I can understand. :wink:

4 Likes

Made an account to say this looks awesome. Thanks to all you creators who makes these awesome hacks!

3 Likes

Dev Update 01:
Thought I’d throw up a few little updates every now and then as we head closer to the launch of 1.0.

Updating and polishing the game’s maps has been the main order of service over these last few weeks.
The goals have been:

• to create a consistent visual feel.
  • update the colour scheme to fit the stronger contrast of FE8.
  • improve the “bland” maps.
  • keep each major location feeling unique.

You can clearly see FE’s visual philosophy evolve as the GBA series progressed. Compared to FE7/FE8, some of FE6’s maps do look a little dated. Although in it’s favour, FE6 does have far more “unique” locations than the other games. My goal has been to update these visuals without taking away from the game’s unique design.

First up were the updates to Chapter 21x. Like a few of the other gaiden maps, this level has been completely rebuilt from scratch. Whilst it still sports similar enemies and gameplay, it’s less of a slog to navigate should you find yourself short of warp staves. Being a pretty important location story-wise, a unique tileset was made to make it feel just that extra bit “special”.
Chapter 21 - 1

The second, was fixing a minor bug-bare. The doors on Chapter 20b were never aligned with how the map would open up - so that got a quick fix!
Chapter 20b - 01
(palette not final)

Next up was improving Chapter 22. It’s still not the (potential) grand finale I’d like it to be - however, the game-play is a little better paced now. The map’s been slightly altered to give it a little more visual flare, use consistent “stair-logic” and open up some of the long winding paths.
Chapter 22 - 6

More recently, I’ve been updating the palette for Chapter 17b. Prior to this, it used the original FE7 “night” palette with slightly increased contrast. Now it’s sporting a totally unique palette - in a style similar to what I imagine FE8 might have used if there were any official “fields” locations set at night.
Chapter 17b - 03

10 Likes

But why the original gameplay and palette were sooooooo good :woozy_face:

Thank the lord

2 Likes

All these changes look wonderful as someone who’s played the original multiple times. I’m excited to see what other changes are in store during the release. :grinning:

3 Likes

Seeing this progress makes me more eager to try this version out.

That looks beautiful. I take it the peer is Merlinus? I wonder if this means he won’t be available as a sacrificial lamb transporter… Ah, excuse me. Just speculating over here.

I hope Merlinus will work like in FE7 (except he will start in his promoted/mounted class, like in vanilla FE6)

The supply role moved to Roy quite early on in development.
In the current dev build - Merlinus is but a humble NPC.

That’s not to say he won’t be playable… but nothing’s planned at the moment.

6 Likes

Heroes shenanigans perhaps? Sword-only Cavalier unit?

That’s best tbh

1 Like

you are going to put the animation of the cavalier salvage and the paladin animation?

Dev Update 02:
Time for another short developer update.

Progress has been pretty slow sadly these last two weeks as work has been busy. However, I have been taking some time out to update some of the conversation backgrounds used in-game.

Originally, the hack used to solely use backgrounds from FE7/FE8. Once I migrated over FE8 as a base, I used the FE9/10 backgrounds from the repo.
I’ve been slowly replacing these with my own renditions that hopefully look a little more natural on the GBA and feel more in line with the other FE7/8 backgrounds. They’re by no means perfect, but should hopefully be more reflective of the setting and the time of day.

Chapter 22 - 5

Chapter 21 - 4

Chapter 17b - 04

Chapter 17b - 07

No. At least not in the first release. There’s a LOT of carefully planned enemy faction palettes that would need to be redone. For the initial release, the mod will use the original animations.

10 Likes

Wow Roy looks older now
Backgrounds look good!

1 Like

Roy does look like his father around his age.

no offense but I’m just asking are there going to be new animations?and I can’t handle the weight of the project.
looks good.and are there going to be more than 60 hp caps?and more than 20 level caps?

I’m a simple man, I see Champion’s Sword references, I hit like.

Whilst there are technically a lot of “new” animations, most animations are vanilla for GBA FE.

Also, obligatory screenshot collection of a chapter I’ve been polishing recently.
Chapter 17a

I had originally hoped to have a complete public beta out by Christmas. Sadly, due to life being a pain, I’m not quite there yet. Though things are still chugging along nicely!

13 Likes

Thanks for not making Lilina an axe unit.
17A with graves… I wonder if this is purely aesthetic or there’s more going on

What’s wrong with Lilina as an axe unit? Genuinely curious

1 Like