Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

You’re misunderstanding. It’s not “Press R to open stat screen, automatically hit the R-text on the first skill” It’s “R to open the stat screen, and when you press R again, it jumps to the skill section on page 1.”

Open the stat screen

Press R

Equipment page

Pressing R on the equipment page

And as far as I know that decision is only for our skill system

7 Likes

Ah, well, in that case, it’s fine. Does R-buttoning on the stats page always jump to the skills first? I feel like that could be added to the existing skill systems and would wildly improve them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the idea. It’s a simple matter of changing which r-bubble struct should be initially used.

3 Likes

Guessing this is related to it doing debug stuff, which it does do in the FE7 and FE8 prototypes. You could use the L button to bring up a cursor to directly edit stats/inventory.

3 Likes

wait, wasn’t Roy called back to Pherae early? because Bern attacked while Eliwood was sick so he had to go in his father’s place? (time to fix the script maybe?)

1 Like

Mid process of implementing changes into the game.

Rather than have a separate growths page for release we’ll just be going with the “color indicates what’s vaguely good” As much as I like to be transparent with numbers… it saves us a lot of headaches figuring out how to in-game tell there’s a page swap. We’re looking to see if, for the final one, we can splice in an “of” for generics. So it would be Knight of Bern.

6 Likes

I think the combat stats should be on the weapons page (esp. since as is, Def/Res are just duplicated from the stat side of the screen) and skills under the portrait. You could have it laid out like this:

First Page

Left side: Portrait

Below portrait (two sub-columns):

• HP || Stamina
  • Level || Exp
  • Skills

Right Side: Stat Window (two sub-columns)

• Strength || Magic
  • Skill || Speed
  • Luck || Defense
  • Resistance || Movement
  • Constitution || Aid
  • Talk || Condition

Second Page

Left side: same as prior page
Right side: inventory on top, equipment with the usual values on the bottom.

This will leave the stat side of the window less cramped, and skills will be more directly associated with the character as part of their personal window on the left side of the screen.

1 Like

They aren’t duplicated. They’re just named the same thing, we’re changing it. Much like how AS is not, necessarily, speed.

1 Like

While I was working on a small hack of FE6 I came across a idea I want to share with the project since I want MoD to be as good as it can be, the idea is to make certain characters start with the ability to use different weapons but have slightly lower growth rates.

Here are some examples, first, Wade and Lot both join at chapter 1 or 2, Wade only uses axes but has a 5/10% higher growth rates in each stat than Lot who can use Axes (WPN Lvl D) and bows (WPN Lvl E) but has 5/10% lower growth rates in each stat than Wade, second, Dieck can use swords (WPN Lvl C) and axes (WPN Lvl D) but has 5/10% lower growth rates in each stat than Ogier who can only use swords, Alen and Lance can only use lances and swords respectively but have higher growth rates than Treck and Noah who can use lances and axes, and swords and lances respectively, and lastly, Shanna can use swords (WPN Lvl E) and lances (WPN Lvl D) but she has 5/10% lower growth rates in each stat than Thea who can only use lances/swords.

I think when they promote all units can use some of those same weapons, but before they promote certain characters can use those same weapons allowing them to become more proficient with them as the players play the game, also some characters may be able to use weapons in a class no one else can.

For example, Noah is the only playable paladin that can use axes, or Gwendolyn is the only playable general that can use axes.

What the players could do about the bad growth rates is:

1. Use the character for their strengths not their weaknesses.
    For example if Lot has a high chance of getting Skl and a low chance of getting Str give him a Steel Bow or Iron Axe.

2. Use stat boosting items.

3. Use support boosts.

4. Play on a low difficulty.

5. Make sure the character get the stats the player wants with resets or save states.

1 Like

An interesting idea, but it would require making a ton of new animations, and it also sounds like it’d be hard to balance.

1 Like

Well the Sword Pegasus Knight and Axe Cavalier are already made and the Axe Mercenary and Bow Fighter seems easy enough to make if they aren’t already made.

When you have the time, can you go into more detail about how the idea would be hard to balance?

The characters whose growth rates are lowered by 5/10% still have their vanilla growth rates in my examples, which means Shanna would still have a particularly high chance of getting spd and luck which is her main stats (with 10% minus all growths except defense Shanna’s growths are: HP35% STR20% SKL45% SPD50% LCK50% DEF5% RES15%), Shanna just won’t have a good chance to get other stats and Spd and Lck like Thea.
(Thea’s growths with a 5% boost: HP65% STR45% SKL50% SPD60% LCK45% DEF20% RES 25%).

Of course, growth rates can be edited for the best balance of the characters, this is just an example.

As a bonus, since Shanna joins earlier the growths have a bigger impact if the player doesn’t fix the growth rates to get the stats they want (through savestates, resets etc.) and lesser if they do, even if they do use savestates though Shanna having lower growth rates across the board still means she isn’t as likely to get a lot of stats at level up, basically it’s a nerf to savestate abusers and it’s a plus for people who don’t use savestates since the level up won’t be empty because of Shanna’s high chance of getting Spd and Lck.

1 Like

Oof. Can’t really harp on it too much if it’s for technical reasons but it’s so ugly

“Knight of Bern” would be cool though! I like flipping the names and classes although there had better be a Paladin Leeroy in there somewhere now

2 Likes

I’m the guy who came up with growth colors like 5 years ago. Blame me :weary:

That being said, I love growth colors. An option to disable them might be preferable for some players, but that’s my only thought.

Oh, and I wish people would all agree on a standardized set of growth colors. Sometimes grey is 0%, sometimes it’s deep red, sometimes flashing green is 100%+, but sometimes it’s just 70%+, etc.

This is great, though DEF/RES still appear to be duplicated. I don’t see how you’d change them, either. (Maybe the stats on the left also cumulatively count boosts from mountains, tiles, skills, and stat boosts?)

2 Likes

Showing the terrain boosts in DEF/RES was my thought too. Should be helpful for the people who never noticed that thrones give +5 res :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If Def/Res being duplicated is such a concern, you could just steal an idea from Three Houses and use Protection (Prt) and Resilience (Rsl) for labeling net defensive stats.

2 Likes

We did change them to Prt and Rsl, although I guess none of the recent screenshots show it, and those are the actual combat stats, so they do show terrain boosts and whatnot.
Edit: I lied, it doesn’t yet, but it will.

4 Likes

So… we’ve been thinking about the stat page for a while… and honestly we’re just not happy with it. We don’t want to be bound by the GBA-style limitations… so we wont be.

13 Likes

That’s a really interesting design. Honestly, the fewer the pages to flip through, the happier I am.

What about the stats page?

Edit: I mean supports. You have all the stats on this main page, so now it seems like Supports will be really underwhelming, information-wise.

1 Like

That is the Stats page. The only thing that changes is changing out weapons for Supports on the support page. It’s a 2-page stat-screen.

EDIT: Well here’s a prototype of it.

2 Likes

I honestly love the new design. Sure, it’s a little cramped, but not having to flip pages makes up for it. I assume pressing R takes you to skill descriptions first?

Also, select shows growths, right? Or are you going for colored stat labels?

Edit: I’ve thought of one problem. Having the stats squished onto the left will make +stat boosts from weapons and skills impossible unless you just add them to the number. Got a solution for that?

Also, “ST” instead of “S” for Stamina might be better for clarity’s sake.

1 Like