Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

Looks real fun

1 Like

I’m honestly happy it’s usable by the player. You see it used a lot by the thief characters in cutscenes so it is astounding being able to finally use it

3 Likes

I’m glad to see more updates. Keep it up! :grin:

2 Likes

Hey there, we’re currently in the midst of implementing Sigune’s skill, Reinforcement, but a question now needs to be raised.

The way reinforcement works is by spawning 3 NPC fliers, 1 Falco Knight and 2 Pegasus Knights that depart after 3 turns, that are controllable.

The thing is to do this we kinda… need to make ALL NPCs controllable. So there in lies the question.

If we were to do this, all NPCs would become controllable, meaning NPC’s that would have to escape the map are suddenly under your command. Now, we’d make escape areas for you to evacuate those units, But it would suddenly mean that the difficulty of recruiting some units has uh… evaporated. At the same time, not having it this way would mean implementing some forced way to keep those NPCs from moving at all, creating way more problems itself.

So, what do you guys feel. Controllable NPCs, or find another route?

3 Likes

Personally I’d rather they not be controllable at all, even the fliers. Works great for Tanith. I like maps with uncontrollable NPCs for the variety they provide, and I think it’d be a big blow to change that universally.

2 Likes

My immediate reaction is “Why not summon them as allied units?”

I guess it would tank your survival rating if you use them as cannon fodder, which you probably will, but A, who cares, and B, you did still send an ally to their death so it’s well deserved either way.

2 Likes

If you’re up to code the system, why not make them team 4? Or, if not team 4, maybe Green Team like always, but you can activate a free menu option when moving Sigune around that changes their AI.

For example, Sigune would have the Reinforcement ability, and when those reinforcements appear, they have some starting AI, like “seek and attack.” Sigune ends her turn. If you dance her to refresh her movement, her Reinforcement option becomes something like “Command” which allows her to change the AI of those summoned fliers.

Command - Seek and Attack: Same as their basic AI. Just makes the reinforcements fly around and attack enemies.
Command - Defend (Unit?): The reinforcements follow Sigune around and attack enemies within X tiles of her. Or, you can set some other defendable unit.
Command - Move to Tile (And Defend/Attack nearby enemies?): After choosing, you pick a tile on the map and the reinforcements begin flying in that direction.

Seems like a decent compromise, and it doesn’t give you the fine granular control of an allied unit, but still gives a decent amount of control without breaking the game.

1 Like

Because we can’t.

So originally, the limit for player characters is 52, We rejiggered the whole save structure to squeeze out the maximum we could of that, which was 10 more slots, for 62. With every unit and our 10 additions recruited, we barely got under that by having Merlinus fold into Roy.

If we’re going to have them be uncontrollable, they wont fade after 3 turns, that was a big debate with the skill, fine control for 3 turns or permanent but uncontrolled.

I mean Tanith’s DID have control, not perfect control but they weren’t just NPC’s doing whatever.

That said, we do have a few more options than just “all NPC’s are controllable or they are uncontrollable”

Option 3. The Flyer NPC’s are coloured Yellow and controllable on the Player Phase
Difficulties: They’d still move on the NPC phase and it’s a bitch to program

Option 4. The Flyer NPC’s are coloured Yellow and controllable on the NPC Phase
Difficulties: Making the rest of the NPC’s still follow their AI routines.

In short, these are much more difficult options, but would technically solve the problem.

2 Likes

Well shit :V

Option 4 seems like the best one in that case, if you can pull it off.

(If you can’t control them, i don’t see the lack of a time limit helping much given how clever npcs tend to be - having them last three turns seems like it’d be an accomplishment.)

1 Like

Option 4 seems like the best overall solution, even though it also seems like the most work. Plus, it’d suck if you ran into another “hammering down one board pulls up the nails of another one” problem in making the attempt.

1 Like

I also understand the wish to make a faithful demake of Tanith’s reinforcements. But, I have also always felt like the reinforcement skill was a bit… ‘not fire emblem’. At least, with control options.

I therefore wanted to play devil’s advocate for a second here and readress something Vilk’s post already touched on to perhaps add a point to the discussion: meat shielding and… hold your breath… permadeath [runs behind a wall]. If the reinforcements are both controlable and disposable that just means that at all times you have 3 units that are on Phoenix mode. Phoenix lite even, if you will, as I assume they are recallable more than once in the same chapter.

That said, as Vilk also mentioned, this is fine if despite that there is a punishment for letting them die, e.g. hurting your survival rank if they are blue units (which a lot of players might not care about, but its something). If I remember correctly, this is the case in The Road to Ruin, which has an abundance of generic blue units. In the case of green units, I feel like the not being controllable and therefore possibly stealing your exp is the least one could do for there to be a tradeoff in using the skill. Controlable allies offer no tradeoff, there is no reason not to click the skill ever.

Conclusive question: is it healthy if calling disposable units in classic fire emblem has no tradeoff at all?

I also feel like there might be an accolade x.1 for any of the 4 options if they are controlable: some sort of activation condition? E.g. the skill bearer has to take damage first (Bernadetta) or something like that. Maybe since the skill name is reinforcements, only usable after a certain turn count?

2 Likes

9 Likes

I get the feeling that Roy is very angry at Wolt being weak.

2 Likes

This is Inspire. Roy’s Heritage skill under Ninian. It is a One-per-Map infinite range Dance. Imagine getting a free Anew staff every map. This is definitely one of the stronger skills, and speed runners and tactics players are going to get a kick out of figuring which turn is best for using that inspire, especially when they get their hands on Larum and her Sword Dance ability.

19 Likes

Thought that was a commander aura before I read it. It’s definitely an interesting ability and yeah it’ll be fun figuring out the best use per map

1 Like

Roy also has a command aura, that’s what the yellow squares are.

1 Like

Oh okay so I was right. Didn’t realize the yellow squares were there before Renew was chosen! Guess I should’ve paid a bit more attention

1 Like

If Lilina and Guinivere (or anybody, for that matter) has a weapon with effectiveness against armors and or cavalry? Or stealing shenanigans? Or quick boss kills? Oh, there’s definitely some fun to be had with this ability.

1 Like

8 Likes

My favorite Fire Emblem skill.

Get away from me.

Edit: Or, ‘Social Distancing.’

5 Likes