Fire Emblem: Emulation Theory

ill w8 thanks

1 Like

A new patch is up! The link should be updated and ready to be downloaded. You should notice the difference right at the start, since the title screen colours were changed!

This version comes with multiple changes to the hack, making it more polished and harder. All the changes are listed below, divided into multiple categories. Do I think this is going to make the game ultra hard and really polished? No, of course not. It still is filled with bugs, and I’m sure you’ll find a way to make the game trivially easy. But it’s better than nothing, I guess.

Now I’ll list each change in the patch. It will help me to organise better and pinpoint what change was bad, and it will help you to… I don’t know, have a happy reading, I guess?

Dialogue Edit and Polish

Most of the dialogue has been changed! The majority of it is minor wording and grammar issues, and some of the phrases and arguments has been tweaked and changed. Also the contradictions between gameplay and dialogue were fixed. Do I think I solved every single grammar mistake? Of course not, (I’m sure I even did one right here in the patch post) so that topic needs a second view, maybe from someone that knows more about this stuff than I do.

Spoiler warnings from now on

Bug fixes and little things
  • The title screen’s colour scheme is now purple and gold
  • Fixed the issue which stopped you from entering the optional chapters.
  • Staves will now use Magic instead of Strength
  • The energy ring will now grant +2 magic as well.
  • Fixed an issue that replaced some of Eirika’s units with the ones in the Ephraim party.
  • Now Marisa is forced in Chapter 10: Rules of Sacae, in order to avoid missing out Gerik’s and Tethy’s recruitment
  • The brave axe chest in Chapter 16x: Siege can only be opened once, as intended.
  • Fixed an issue in Chapter 21: Showdown which spawned the same reinforcements multiple times
  • Removed a leftover “Victory lap” message in chapter Chapter 23x: Into the Void that was used in the demo.
  • Fixed an issue in Void 4: Climax in which the screen didn’t fade back from white after a Formotiis was summoned.

(stats showed in “%” are growth rates. Otherwise they’re the base stats)

Ally units' Balance

The problem with your units was simple: their stats were busted. So the fix is to, surprise, tune them down! But not all are nerfs around here, some of the units were buffed!

Eirika: -10% magic, -1 Leadership Star

Surprise! Leadership Stars are a thing. Before, the Stars assigned were the Vanilla ones; which meant that Eirika had 2 and Seth 1. Now, only the Lords (Eirika, Eprhaim and more) will have 1 Star each, which technically is a buff in the Late game, but for most of the chapters you will only have access to 1, either from Eirika or Ephraim.

Seth: -10% defense, -20% HP, LVL 20 skill changed from Wary warrior to Loyalty. -1 Leadership Star

Yes, he also broke this one, so I’m tuning him down. The Loyalty change was made not for balancing purposes, but because I fell that skill suits him more. Also removed that Leadership Star he had.

Nino: -15% magic, -10% speed, Level 20 skill changed from Aptitude to Spur Magic

She had all 3 elements for a broken unit: Amazing growths, appeared early, and broken lvl 20 skill. I chose Spur Magic because it fits with the “She’s natural at magic” stuff.

Mark: -5% everything. -1 everything, +2 to their Class’ Relative Power (gain XP like any other unit)

You don’t know what “Class Relative Power” means? Don’t worry, I didn’t either until a few days ago. FE8 has a “class power” system that is basically a XP boost to the Trainees and Staff users. Turns out Mark was gaining experience as if they were a Trainee. Combined with the 50% growth it was just too much.

Nergal: -3 DEF

Yes, you never use him, but it’s for the chapters where you have to defend him.

Dorcas: -5% HP, -10% STR
Rennac: -5% SPD
Saul: -10% SPD, Lvl 20 skill changed from Solidarity to Vanity

Eirika already had that skill, so I changed it.

Percival: -5% HP, -5% STR, -20% DEF, -1 DEF
Heath: -25% HP, +5% SPD
Pepe: -10% STR, -5% SKL
Sue: -20% HP, -5% STR, -20% MGC
Ephraim: -5% HP, -5% DEF, -1 Leadership Star (Total of 1)
Forde: +5% STR, +5% RES, +5% Luck

One of the only two characters that were buff! He was pretty awful, so I gave him a bit of a boost

Kyle: -10% Def, -3 Def
Dayan: -3 STR, -2 DEF, -5% STR
Roy: +5 levels, Level 20 skill is Sol instead of Focus, +1 Leadership Star

He had two skills: one that encouraged him to be with more people, and one that encouraged him to be alone. Sol would be a good fit for him. He’s one of the Lords that benefit from the Leadership Star change, so I expect him to be very good, altough he has 5 less levels to grow.

Gerik: -20% HP, -5% SKL
Marisa: -20% HP, -5% SPD, -3 SKL, -2 SPD
Klein: -3 STR, -4 SKL, -2 SPD

Out of all promoted units, Klein was the strongest, specially with Dazzle. He didn’t needed many levels to basically destroy late game bosses.

Bartre: Removed from the game
L’arachel: -20% RES, +10% Luck, -10% MGC

She’s very strong, but I didn’t nerfed her more because healers have a rough time here; you want to promote your units at level 20, but by doing so she will remain unable to fight for most of the game. Also, I’ve got the feeling I’m missing something

Dozla: -5% HP
Tate: -15% HP, -5% STR, +20% RES
Yodel: -3 DEF
Tethys: -5 Levels

Counter-Intuitive nerf. It technically is a buff because she has more space to grow, but her lvl 10 skill will come later.

Canas: -5% HP, +20% DEF, -5% RES, -10% SKL
Farina: -25% HP, +5% MGC, -10% SPD
Dart: -10% SPD, -20% SKL, -40% RES, +10 LUK
Legault: +3 STR, +2 SKL, +4 LUCK, -15% hp

Another unit buffed! Legault is basically like FE8’s Rennac: Someone to use if your thief died. I felt bad for him, so with this buffs at least he can be useful.

Lyon: -20% HP, -30% STR, -30% SKL, -40% SPD, +5% DEF, -10% RES, -20% MAG
Franz: -20% HP, -5% SPD, -10% SKL, +5% LUK, +5% MAG
Uther: +5 HP

A bit of a boost for him to keep up with the enemies in the chapter he appears

Fargus: -30% HP, -2 STR, has Thunderstorm instead of Daunt
Hector: -20% HP, -3 STR, -4 DEF, -2 SPD, Has Pavise instead of Sol, No longer starts with Armads

Armads will be obtainable later in the game, and he’s such a nice guy that he gave Sol to Roy for him to train

Brenya: -4 DEF
Mordred: no longer has Rally spectrum, -17 DEF, -30 RES, +2 Leadership stars

Out of everyone in the list, I feel Mordred was the strongest one. +6 to each stat to everyone around him was just a bit too much, even if he appeared in a few chapters. I also took all the defensive stats away from him, so now you really have to protect him. Because I didn’t wanted to make him totally useless, he’s the only character besides the lords that has Leadership Stars!

Enemy units' Balance

There isn’t much to say here. The changes are straightforward: Most of them have increased bases and growths (specially promoted enemies) to be at the same level as your units. In most of them there’s a focus on Skill, so you’ll see enemies hitting more than before. One change that can seem odd is that some of the units have their luck lowered down, so here’s why: I don’t like enemies critting. That’s it, here’s the text wall with all the buffs

• Enemy bandit/warrior: +2 hp, +1 str, +2 def, +1 sped, +1 res, +1 skl
  • Enemy merc: +1 speed, -1 res, +1 con
  • Enemy soldier: +1 str, +1 skl, +5% def, +5% res, -10% luck
  • Enemy knight: +2 skl
  • Enemy myrmidon: +1 skl
  • Enemy mage: -10% HP, +10% SPD, +10% DEF, +10% RES
  • Enemy archer: -6 luck, +3 skl, +1 spd, +10% str
  • Enemy wyvern knight:+3 skl, +1 def
  • Enemy heavy knight: +2 skl
    Promoted units
  • Enemy sniper: +20% str, +10% skl, +10% spd
  • Enemy sage: +10% spd, +10% SKL, -3 Luck, +2 SKL, +5 HP, +1 DEF
  • Enemy Wyvern Lord: +25% STR, +30% SKL, +15% SPD, +20% DEF, +3 SPD
  • Enemy berserker: +10% STR, +20% skl, +10% HP
  • Enemy warrior: +20% str, -15% HP, +10% DEF, +15% SPD
  • Enemy Swordmaster: +20% STR
  • Enemy Great Knight: +30% DEF, +20% SKL, +15% STR, +20% RES, +10% SPD, +2 SKL, +2 STR
  • Enemy Paladin: +30% SPD, +20% SKL, +30% DEF, +20% RES, +20% STR
  • Enemy Hero: +20% SPD, +20% DEF, +20% SKL, +10% RES, +20% STR
  • Enemy falcoknight: +7 HP, +3 SKL, +2 SPD, +2 DEF, +2 RES, +2 CON
  • Every single Enemy Void Monster (Dummy): +3 skl, +10% STR
Class Skill Balance

I’m kinda proud of my inclusion of skills in the game. However it’s not fully perfect. I tried to get rid of most of those problematic skills

Thief: Replaced Acrobat with Pass
Mage: Replaced Focus with Opportunist

Mages were already quite powerful, so Focus was just frustrating to deal with. Again, I don’t like enemy crits.

Assasin: Replaced Lethality with Crit boost. Now has Galeforce at level 10

“I don’t like enemy crits” Proceeds to give Crit boost to assasins.
In my defensse, Lethality is worse than a Crit.

Berserker: Replaced Killing Machine with Heavy Strikes

I have no excuses with this one

Swordmaster: Replaced Death Blow with Seal Speed
Necromancer: Replaced Anathema with Seal Res
Soldier: Now learns Lancefair at level 10, and Seal Str. at level 20

Soldiers are in a weird position, since they don’t promote. I’ve been playing with its skills and I think this combination is the best.

Sniper: Replaced Dazzle with Hawkeye

I don’t know which one is better. Dazzle was better for your Klein, since he has high Skill, but Hawkeye means that Snipers will never miss, so they’ll be a threat.

Shaman: Replaced Seal Str. with Seal Def.
Druid: Replaced Seal Def. with Poison Strike
Sage: Replaced Tome Range +1 with Tomefaire

Biggest Nerf of the pack. I’m sorry Nino fans

Map and Misc. Balance

Chapter 5, Timeless city: Replaced the Swordreaver gained from the village with a lancereaver

This helps Eirika’s early levels, since she’ll have something against lances for a while.

Chapter 6, Goddess and bandits: Less reinforcement level (6-8 to 5-7). 1 less halberd. Initial enemy spawn changed. Mercenary protecting Percival’s house level reduced. Boss now moves after turn 6. You can bring one more member.

I’m surprised noone complaint about this chapter. It has everything against it: they took one of your units, there’s a massive spam of reinforcements with Swordreavers and halberds, and it even has a house designed specially to fool you. Either way, the levels down is for balancing the buffs that the enemies recieved; it’s by no means easier now.

Chapter 8, answers: Changed enemy starting positions

Basically, the druid changed positions so you can use Pepe better. It felt awkward using him becuase both sides were blocked by mages.

Chapter 9, Frontier Fort: This map is in consideration of a possible rework next patch.

I don’t like this map. It’s not because it has no gimmick (the main gimmick is just "haha you start in the throne), but because the design overall is just… Lacking. I’ll probably change it soon.

Chapter 10x, Shortcut: Removed the time limit. You have to sieze instead of arrive. The Reinforcements will now come later.

This map was so incomplete, I was really surprised in the state it was. Two years ago, this was intended to be chapter 10, but there were many things I wanted to do and the map simply just didn’t let me do it. So I moved it to optional chapter and moved on.

Chapter 11, Unrivaled Army: Changed enemy’s positions. Bartre is replaced by Lilina

So, yeah, Bartre is gone.
As you can see in the roster, I’m a huge fan of Axes. However there were just too many Warriors/Berserkers, so Bartre felt like he served no purpose. Lilina can be the “nuke” type of character, while Nino is more all-around and Canas is more “tanky”. She has the same stats as Vanilla FE 6, so I’ll see how she preforms.

Chapter 17, Goddess and Pirates: The Goddesslayer now has more hit and might; is effective against foot sword users (not including Eirika).
Chapter 18, High Sea battle: greatly increased each Leader’s stat
Chapter 19, Scourge: An enemy will drop a Knight seal.
Chapter 20, Dragon Isle: This map is in consideration of a possible rework next patch.

I had so many problems when I was making this map, and while I don’t dislike the concept of it, the execution was just… Eh. It can be better. It had good ideas.

Chapter 22, Last Exit to Magvel: Pent will now have Excalibur
Chapter 24, Peace: Removed Dorcas’ and Bartre Conversation

I wonder why
Void 1, Entrance: Opening the door will give you Armads instead of Excalibur. The weapon that the thief drops is still Maltet.
Endgame, New World: Enemies will have better equipment. Increased the number of Divine weapons the possess to 2 each round.

What’s next
This first big patch is a two step plan: First it’s the text, and next are the Events! Those are truly broken and unpolished, so it will take me longer for me to fix them. After that, maybe I’ll try to add a higher difficulty. Balancing this one is already difficult, so I don’t think so. This game is not meant to be played with 0% growths so I won’t torture you with releasing that nightmare. After that, and a few bug fixes, I think it’s time to move on!

3 Likes

how is it balanced though if u nerfed the cast but buffed the enemies?
was the game wayy too easy before? i cant remember.

1 Like

The character nerfs weren’t really that big, it’s mostly a -5% growth in some areas and a stat nerf for those pre promoted units that were really, really strong. Most reductions that are above 20% are for HP, and I don’t know why they were so high in the first place. But overall they can still work.

And for the enemy side, as I said, most buffs to the pre promoted group are to their skill, so most of them won’t be tankier of hit harder, just hit more often. The biggest increases were to promoted units, and while those +20% might sound scary, the effect will most likely show up in the late, late game. And in that point you’ll have units strong enough to bypass every challenge.

Maybe I went too far? I don’t really know, I’m not very good at Fire Emblem

Eh, It honestly depends on how the autoleveling scales. Sometimes It can be really minor but i guarantee then endgame will be too much now.
If i remember correctly the tellius randomizer lets you modify enemy growths and even with only +20% several enemies in part 1 were close to being fully capped by the 5-6 map.

It might be a smart idea to test some of the endgame maps with those growth modifications before you release an update patch using them.

1 Like

I did playtest some of the earliest lategame stages (if that makes sense) and those seemed… Fine? I guess? I’m really bad at balancing. There’s just too many variables and statistics and I can’t test every single character in every single map.
If the game comes out as too hard or annoying in some parts, please let me know. I’d rather have an easy hack than a hard and tedious one.

Well, really it might be fine. I was only trying to say you should be careful with big growth buffing since auto leveling can go bonkers from time to time. It seems like it varies depending on bases.

1 Like

I tried to play this hack again and evry time i kill 1 of the 2 boss brothers the game crashes in chapter 5.

I though this was fixed with ur new update???

Happy FEE3! It’s time for another (and maybe the last) update patch! In this one I tied up some loose ends, fixed multiple easy mistakes and added Two new variants to download and play with!

The Classic and the Pain: New variants!

You can now downlad two new ways to play this hack: Classic Mode (In which there are no skills at all, except Canto) and Pain Mode (0% Growth Rates).

Classic mode is for when you’re tired of the Skill System, of having to watch out for every single +10 lvl enemy because oh no it has Vantage+ and you just die. The game is not balanced around the units not having skills, so some units are going to be really worse, since its stats were lowered in favour of a better skill.

Do I believe the game is doable without any growth rates? Maybe, maybe not. If it is the case, I doubt anyone would try, but I leave it there, in case you like pain.

These games’ title theme are going to be Orange/Green and Black/Grey, respectively.

Bug Fixes and all those boring stuff
  • Again, fixed some typos and text engine mistakes.

• Fixed multiple instances were the camera did not fade to black properly while erasing some backgrounds.

• Fixed other camera-related errors.

• In chapter 2, Escape, Mark will now give Eirika the Lightforged Sword

• The end event of Chapter 7, The Prince’s Crusade will finally not happen twice.

• Fargus will now properly appear when recruited.

• Athos’ animation is now fixed.

• Character pallete! The next characters will now display their proper Pallete, the one from the Original Game:

"List of Characters with updated palletes

Yodel
Saul
Tate
Lilina
Percival
Klein
Brennya
Hector
Legault
Dart
Fargus
Heath
Nino
Farina
Canas
Dorcas
Pent
Canas
Lloyd
Linus
Dayan

• Cavaliers that are not mencioned in here will display the generic pallete, instead of a broken one

Map and Character balance!
Chapter 9 now has a new map design.

First, the two changes that were anticipated in the last patch. Old chapter 9 was one of two maps designed with the help of the Random Map Creation tool, and it was the only one that I thought was missing something. This new map offers a different style with now having 3 different routes (with one leading directly to the boss, in case you want to finish it quickly), one more chest and an extra location! The feeling of this map is the same (Reversed Fort mission, in which you start in the throne instead of seizing it.) and there are only a few more enemies.

Chapter 20, Dragon Isle, now has different starting positions.

A rain map, a fog map and now, a map where you start separated! This one has it all.
The intention of this chapter was to spread your units into two. Since everyone started at the same place, and going to the left portion of the map was too much time spent, the strat was for everyone to follow the same map. Now that will be harder to do.
Chapter 20, Dragon Isle, has extended its time limit
It will be of 15 turns in rain and 12 in the fog.

Lightforged Lance's weight reduced to 8

Tate: +2 STR

Enemy Mage: -5% MAG, -5% SKL

Enemy Wyvern Lord: -3 STR

Enemy Wyvern Knight: -5% DEF

Enemy Myrmidon: -2 SKL

Enemy Sage: -3 LCK, -1 SKL, +5% MAG

I would appreciate more feedback on the balancing, if the nerfs and buffs of the last patch were too extreme.

Note: When talking about Stats, if the number is followed by “%”, it’s talking about the Growth rate. Otherwise, it’s referring to the base stat.

And that is gonna be all for today. Thank you for reading, and thanks to SigmaRaven for being the “Legally Paid” worker of my FEE3 submission of this hack!! If you haven’t watched it, here’s the link. Hope you have a great day or night!

7 Likes

So I’ve been really enjoying the hack and I’m using what(to my knowledge) is the most recent patch but the game keeps crashing when I kill the last enemy in the Renais Castle map with Ephraim. I’m on mGBA if that helps give any insight into what might be causing the crash.

Hi! Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with said chapter. I’m unable to replicate the crash, so I will ask:

• Did you kill all of the enemies? The objective is to kill the boss, so try leaving one enemy alive just so you don’t mess up with anything

• what kind of crash did you experience? If you can share a screenshot or a short description if would be great

Latest patch released yesterday, and the link in the original post redirects you to that one

Hey, just watched the FEE3 video and while the gameplay seemed good, I couldn’t help but notice quite a bit of gramatical errors and some letters not being properly capitalized. If this has changed then disregard my comment, but you might want to double check your script for stuff like that, it’s a bit jarring to look at.

The patch that was used in that video is from June. Since then, two patches that fixed grammatical errors were released. I can’t tell you that I fixed 100% of the errors of all 30+ chapters, but it is a lot better now

1 Like

The crash happens in the second part of the map where there’s a Druid boss and the map gets all corrupted by teleporting shenanigans. The objective becomes Rout and upon slaying the last enemy the game just freezes and makes horrific staticy noises.

Huh. That one is new. I tested my hack with VBA, so I’ll have to try it with yours. Until then, have you tried killing the boss before all of the units? Either that or change emulator, if you can switch save states between them

I’ve had it happen twice. First time I chalked it up to the boss proccing their skill and berserking Ephraim who killed the last enemy between phases. Second time I killed the boss last and had the same crash. Also are there supposed to be random DUMMY phantoms in that part?

Did some more testing. Redownloaded the patch and also tried two different version of VBA, same thing. On one instance I got an “Unsupported BIOS Function” error but was unable to make that happen on a repeat. Also replayed the whole chapter, still broken :frowning:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zYlR8Ax4hfd8hFqjAcoOoMe3m0W1fdp5/view?usp=sharing
There;s my save file with one enemy left.

2 Likes

Hello! Been enjoying this hack but I too got a crash in the Renais Castle with Ephraim, once everyone is routed got the nasty static sound. Tried using VBA-M and mGBA.

2 Likes

Damn they shishkebabed my boy he missing lines

The game seems to soflock if you get an item when full, it won’t go into the discard menu