Fire Emblem - Doubled or Nothing [COMPLETE] (FE8U)

I died on chapter 2… Gonna try again!

1 Like

MINOR UPDATE:
The Guide has received some touch-ups, including a new Promotions section unlocked after Chapter 8.
promotionspromo

Also, a few other fixes/changes have been made, but they’re mostly pretty marginal.

the most minor changes ever

The Secret Book obtained after Chapter 2 now gives +3 Skill and sells for less.
secretbooksell

Simon’s promotion no longer lowers his lance rank, so he can now feasibly use the Brave Lance after promoting.
lancerankfix

The boss in Chapter 7 no longer drops a functionally useless Armorslayer. Now you can waste your time going for something even more useless!
sealedblade

I’m deeply sorry if you expect anything of actual value.

5 Likes

Chapter 9 was still broken, sorry bout that! It’s fixed now.

1 Like

New FEE3 version!

Changes:

• Simon/Lass buffs (Simon Pow increased significantly.)
  • Fixed Nomad Trooper Exp gain bug.
  • Bonus map added (And with it comes endings and “credits”)
  • Otto, Andreas, and Polyph have portraits now.
  • Made the final boss harder.
  • and More!

EDIT1: FEE3 vid, screenshots of update will be soon

EDIT2:

Screenshots

TurnCountKiirus
OttoPaletteMeleeDoPrepsPls

14 Likes

It’s been fun following this project since its start! Congrats on finishing!

2 Likes

Weapon Reversal, an alternate way to play Doubled or Nothing, is now available! For those who don’t know, Weapon Reversal changes the primary weapon type of every unit into the type that has WTA over them normally (Bows and Staves are simply swapped.)

Tackle standard obstacles with an entirely different toolkit.

What to expect:

• More emphasis on staves and smart staff usage.
    rescue!Sleep

• Some more unusual/offbeat tools taking the place of standard ones.
    HexlockerRunesword

• A different pool of available classes!
    assassinheavycav

• Stupid bullshit lmao
    impalerrexhasta

The WR patch is included in the regular download link for Doubled or Nothing, which can be found in the OP of this thread.

7 Likes

Played the first 2 chapters.

The hack is good. Really thoughtfully designed. Story is bare bones and moves at a brisk pace. Def a good one to try if you like to think when you play Fire Emblem.

2 Likes

A Minor Update:

• Quick Weapons and Spell’s Bane have had their icons unvanilla’d.
  • Many Axes and Lances have been given +5 Hit.
  • C5’s Fliers and C7’s Promoted reinforcements don’t give EXP anymore.
  • The battle screen has been changed to one based on FE7.
  • Simon’s Lance Rank shouldn’t overflow in Bonus anymore.
  • C7’s cheese strat is finally patched out. I went back and forth on it for a while, but I decided that dating the FEE3 video was just a sacrifice I’d have to live with.
  • Edited a few of the generic palettes I missed before.
  • Tweaked Heavy Paladin’s class growths.
    visualupdatedoubledlibrabrty.emulator-13
    doubledlibrabrty.emulator-12doubledlibrabrty.emulator-11
4 Likes

Just finished playing through this on Hard Mode, wanted to leave some thoughts here.

General

This was a really fun experience! It’s been a while since I played Bases and Bandits, but I remember enjoying my playthrough. With that said, Doubled or Nothing clearly surpassed its gameplay. The core idea (and its execution), the chapters, and the character balance are all improvements from what I remember about B&B. The aesthetics are also better, though I won’t be saying much about them. My favorite song was easily Chapter 7’s theme (Unsure Journey), and I’m not just saying that because it says “Original” next to the title; I booted it up while I typed this up.

Chapters

The early chapters were good for getting the player used to the game. The first bit of trouble that I encountered was the first Iron Bow archer in Chapter 3 (no, not the Silver Bow archer that you can ignore). After resolving that random skill issue, I didn’t have too much trouble (to the point of having to reset, anyways) until the halfway point.

Chapter 6 is a candidate for my favorite chapter of the hack. It certainly felt like an evil map at the time that I played it, but that’s mostly because of it being the only chapter that I had to reset twice on, with both resets happening towards the end of the map. The phantoms are obviously a highlight, but even if they were different enemies entirely, the chapter would still hold up very well. The chapter has one of the most memorable boss fights and well-timed anti-turtles in both the thief and the non-phantom reinforcements.

Chapter 7 is the other candidate for my favorite. After a Turn 1 restart, I was able to get through somewhat smoothly, though that may have been because of lucky level ups. In any case, I sent Verona with Lass so she could seal the Hunter in and eventually get the village. This chapter seems like it’d be a nightmare to balance, so hats off to how it plays out. I didn’t attempt to challenge the Swordmaster, but the possibility is slightly tempting me to replay this at some point.

While the final three chapters were enjoyable (shoutout to Polyph missing the second attack of Chapter 8 Turn 1 and immediately dying to the Mogall), I definitely liked the preceding two more. The first few (or even several) turns were interesting to plan through; I especially liked the unique enemy overlap of the Brave Sword Paladin and the Purge Monk. On the other hand, the later turns of these maps didn’t live up to their earlier counterparts, especially the very last “encounter” of the hack. However, with how much the characters/resources could fluctuate between players by this point, it’s also understandable if that wasn’t the main focus (i.e. not trampling on the player if they got this far in both the map and the overall hack, regardless of their resource management or character usage).

Chapter 1 (5 turns)
Chapter 2 (7 turns)
Chapter 3 (7 turns)
Chapter 4 (8 turns)
Chapter 5 (7 turns)
Chapter 7 (8 turns)
Chapter 8 (8 turns)
Chapter 9 (9 turns)
Final (8 turns)
(I also played the bonus map, but not the unused map)

Characters

As far as individual units go, I don’t have much to comment on; the character balance is remarkable. I’d have to play through this a second time to really see who the best is and so on, but I’d be suprised if I didn’t still have trouble judging each character’s performance. If I had to guess, I’d go with Thoril, but the overall cast was really strong.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, Raeford seemed like the worst unit. There are armor knights and generals for her to Bolthammer, but they’re almost never a high priority to eliminate in the last three maps. The main armor that would’ve been great for her was the one guarding the ballistician in the Finale, but because they’re obscured by the roof, I had deployed her on the opposite side. As a unit overall, she isn’t as versatile as Polyph, another unit that joins at the same time. Lastly, if I wanted to give her a helping hand, it’s hard to give it to her, or to even justify it. The Devil Axe is incredibly good on Kalores, so that’s one less tool for her to use, outside of trade chaining for multiple uses in a single turn. She’s not ready for an instant promotion, but compared to the rest of the cast, that promotion seemed on the lower end of usefulness.

Between the time where I didn’t know anything about the promotions and the time where I did, I went from predicting I’d promote one of Marion/Verona/Thoril to actually ending up with Crys. Besides the incredible utility she got through staves and +3 Mov, the promotion also allowed more OHKOs with Dying Blaze and stopped a few ORKOs from happening to her, which is obviously ideal for a 1-2 range unit. As for the second Master Seal, I gave it to Verona since Tobias got the Reverie Bow.

Stat Boosters
Marion: Angelic Robe
Verona: Dragonshield
Thoril: Energy Ring, Secret Book

Promotions
Lass: Level 10
Crys: Level 10
Verona: Level 13

DoubledOrNothing-4DoubledOrNothing-5
DoubledOrNothing-7Simon
MarionPuzon
AndreasVerona
DoubledOrNothing-6Otto
KiwiCrys
RaefordPolyph

Bugs

DoubledOrNothing-0
The Killer Bow uses a reaver weapon description.

DoubledOrNothing-1
The Escape command description is understandable, but it could use some rewording. I don’t use FEBuilder, but I’m assuming this is the default description the Escape patch comes with or something?

DoubledOrNothing-2
This myrmidon has an unusable and undroppable Ridersbane.
EDIT: Wait…this is a FE7 reference, isn’t it. Didn’t think about it until I saw someone mention that infamous enemy. Well, I’ll keep this here anyways :sweat_smile:

DoubledOrNothing-3
The promotion entry for Crys says she only gets +1 Mov, but she gets +3.

Thanks for the hack!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I definitely agree that C6/7 are the highlights. Chapter 7 in particular really feels like it couldve been the final map just fine, so I’m glad you enjoyed them! Those phantoms are tricky :stuck_out_tongue:

Raeford is by a mile the worst unit, her niche of having high WRank doesnt matter when Kal also uses axes, and there’s the problem. Kinda sucks that I scripted that custom magic axe animation for what ended being by far the least impactful unit, but such is life.

Thoril, on the other hand, is awesome. He’s exactly what I hoping to make when I made Shamans hyperoffense oriented. He was originally also supposed to get Luna, but I had to stop myself because of just how many tools I’d given him already. He’s just super fun. Marion, too.

Bugs

Thanks for catching the escape text and Crys bugs! The Myrm is a reference, yes.

C7 Swordmaster

I’m gonna keep it real, I have literally never tested whether or not you can kill that guy. I’m not gonna stop you, though!

I’m really glad you enjoyed!

1 Like

Doubled 1.5, which should be the last one barring anything goofy, has come out, bringing a few changes to C8/9 to improve flow.

Changelog
  • Cuthsid, the C8 Summoner, won’t move until he indicates that he does. His movement has also been cut down by 1.
  • Bruno, the C9 Warrior, has been moved to a far more aggressive position. Many reinforcements were tweaked to match this altered map flow. I apologize in advance for the Turn 3 Sniper, even if he’s largely harmless.
  • Bolthammer has recieved +4 Mt. Raeford is almost certainly still the worst unit in the game.
Other Fixes
  • Killer Bow no longer claims to be a reaver weapon.
  • The Escape command has a significant less awkward description.
  • Crys is properly listed as gaining +3 Mov in the Promotion Guide.
  • C8’s Guide entry has been expanded.
Screenshots

doubledlibrabrty.emulator-17doubledlibrabrty.emulator-16
doubledlibrabrty.emulator-15doubledlibrabrty.emulator-18

Note that these changes have not been made to Weapon Reversal.

1 Like

Massive shoutouts to Dani Doyle for her review of Doubled! The positive words mean a lot!

2 Likes