FIRE EMBLEM - Code of the Black Knights: Decisive Edition (30 chapters)

The part where Bonnie attempts to hit on Abraham is funny to me. Speaking of which, do any hired units have special conversations with others?

1 Like

Nope, only themā€¦
There is also a conversation between Cyan and Taurus, but that is before you hire him.

1 Like

Oh.

Speaking of which, is it possible to fill up entire deployment slots full of units with leadership stars in the final chapters?

1 Like

Regarding Butterfly Effect: % HP after combat skills make it pretty easy to cheese since the special green unit has Provoke. If this gets patched Iā€™ll cry because the chapter becomes SUPER hard.

P.S.:

Chapter 18 onwards spoilers

schwarze
hopefully this is properly formatted LOLā€¦ Iā€™m planning on doing Noir pre- and post- timeskip and Cecil pre- and post-timeskip too, also injured Schwarze
Iā€™m aware the hair is sloppy but I also donā€™t want to fix it because I donā€™t have the patience after spending almost four hours after getting home from work around midnight fml

3 Likes

That portrait you posted looks really nice! Itā€™s fancy and unique, but still looks like the character.

One thing I feel like you could tweak, though, is

Possibly spoilers?

making his chin go over the top of the cloth bit, instead of being covered by it. As-is, Iā€™m not sure what would hold the cloth there, and it makes his head looked a little bit deformed without his full chin visible.

Aside from that, itā€™s a great portrait!

1 Like

finally beat the game and get ending A.

For chapter Ex1, will the difficulty get toned down? I dont think anyone can beat that.

1 Like

Iā€™m just curious, what are the paired endings in this hack?

1 Like

Some feedback on the newest version of Code of the Black Knightsā€¦

Feedback

Chapter 8 for the Black Knights route still has the ā€˜analizeā€™ instead of ā€˜analyzeā€™ typo.

Love the redesign for Chapter 1! Much better imo with the size reduced, and a much more eye-friendly look to it.

Chapter 6 should have the pressure plate closest to the treasure chest where that mercenary and the soldier are put on the opposite side (so on the left side). It would make getting that chest take less time.

Chapter 7 for Holy Knights route suggestion: that stuff that Kalm sends Noir, how about calling them Cidelith Chaff Dispensers? (Chaff in this case being the term for something that was developed by the military in WWII to screw up radar; nowadays itā€™s also used to distract radar-guided missiles from their targets. Chaff is also dispersed into a cloud, much like the way Cidelith is used in that chapter).

Love how thereā€™s more units now to work with too! Met one of them already; looking forward to seeing the others.

Also I love the cameo from Aurora and her husband in Chapter 6. Although, what does that red X next to their sprites mean?

1 Like

Hi, I really like the new portrait too! Aside of RandomWizardā€™s suggestions (Which I share), there is

Chapter 18 onwards spoilers

The fact that Schwarzeā€™s new fur collar is missing. Post-timeskip Schwarze had a small but still noticeable fur collar as a memento of his time with the Llys. Just like with the chest piece, the chin would go in front of the collar.

EDIT: Also, the cape is important since it gives him a more imposing presence.

Would you like to make these changes or would you rather I did it from my side?
Also Iā€™ll add you to the credits right away.

1 Like

It is possible, thanks to the large amount of leadership-star generics that you get at the final chapter and the last of the new units, who has a leadership star too. While they will have poor stats overall, they will also have very good hit/avo, so it is a tradeoff to consider.

Also, percentage-hp skills were designed to kill bosses, so it would be very weird to patch them to not work against themā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d have to check since there are probably more, but these are some of the ones I remember putting in the game:

Spoilers, of course.

Note: Paired endings that unlock at B-support are just very strong friendships and do not lock anyone out of other paired endings.

• Angel-Rose (B-support)
  • Rose-Walker (Non-romantic)
  • Aurora-Argent (They start with A-support, therefore will happen automatically if both survive)
  • Hermes-Maria (Romantic)
  • Maria-Josephine (Romantic)
  • Zero-Hazel (Romantic, unlocks extra scene after the credits)
  • Elizabeth-Hazel (B-support)
  • Hermes-Schwarze (B-support)
  • Rowling-William (Romantic)
  • Sally-Blaise (Non-romantic)
  • Hall-Blaise (Non-romantic)
  • Celia-Kelly (Non-romantic and guaranteed to happen in route C)
  • Isaac-Abraham (Obviously non-romantic. The exact ending, provided they both survived, changes depending on who stayed.)
  • Hall-Sally (Only if they are both dead. A cutscene shows them reuniting in the afterlife.)
  • Noir-Jaeger (Romantic)
  • Schwarze-Noir (Romantic)
  • Schwarze-Josephine (Romantic)
  • Schwarze-Angel (Romantic)
  • Schwarze-Lauren (Which is effectively his solo ending.)
1 Like

The symbol next to the sprites of some green units is a bug that apparently happens when green units are set to ā€œdrop itemsā€. Fortunately not huge :confused:
Also chaff dispensers is a good idea.

1 Like

Ahhh, I see. Also, cool!
I like the new version of Chapter 8 better, personally.

1 Like

I agree, it looks much better. I originally didnā€™t like the temple-like aesthetic but RandomWizard convinced me to change the locationā€™s backstory, which happened to fit perfectly since Gabriel is religious territory lol.

1 Like

Indeed, indeedā€¦ and it also feels more like a proper ā€˜fortā€™ imo.

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing how other chapters may have been changed as well!

1 Like

Iā€™ll do it right now and make the talk frames less janky as well. Formatting was a pain since the mouth/eye frames have to be positioned in multiples of 8 so Iā€™m never doing it again tho

spoilers

The vest looking thing is meant to be a priest scarf kinda deal to replace the pre-timeskip cape since his default pairing is with a Llys priestess but seeing as he has a fur collar that Iā€¦ thought was a cravatā€¦ the fur collar will do. I just wanted to differentiate his design a bit more from pre-timeskip since my main motivation was the fact he has the exact. same. hairstyle. despite visibly aging significantly. nbd if it doesnā€™t fit your vision though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, formatting is definitely painful. Any changes made to the eyes/mouth have to be copied 9 times with pixel-perfect precision, otherwise you end up like this
Sacred stones clean - copia.emulator_04

Summary

One of the things I definitely like about your portrait is that he looks younger. As much as I love the current portrait, it looks like Schwarze aged like 7 years instead of just 3 and a halfā€¦ This one instead looks more believable.

The hairstyle had been originally kept identical so that the portrait can still be easily recognized as Schwarze, but you did a fine job there too so I have no complaints. That said the cape of badassery is still pretty much mandatory :confused:

1 Like
more mug-related spoilers

sbarts
Hopefully I did an okay job. Iā€™m not sure if the cape is to your liking though I kinda channeled my 20 year old self in art class at the time drawing drapery for four consecutive hours. I made his eye a bit ā€œolderā€ but you can just paste the old one on top. Same with the other frame areas, you can paste the relevant bits on top. Also, hereā€™s a template for taking the frames out for formatting:
templateforschwarz
One last thing, I didnā€™t pay much attention when using the eyedropper for color picking, so it might need requantization. If requantizing makes it ugly let me know so I can fix it.
Edit: Hereā€™s a version with bigger, more anime/young eyes (should still be compatible with the same blinking frames)
sbarts

As an aside, I canā€™t do any work on mugs tomorrow (today, technically) because I wonā€™t be able to leave work early. Wednesdays are always hell.

Edit again: I started listening to the version of the OST thatā€™s PSX quality instead of GBA quality and wow itā€™s kinda sexy? I think I would pay money for a Code of the Black Knights hack of like TearRing Saga or something. I mean, if it wasnā€™t all sorts of illegal and decently unethical

Edit: An argument for patching out % health strats is it means otherwise youā€™re balancing around that skill, and if a certain prince dies or Hermes is speed screwed itā€™s excessively hard to clear Ex1 without savescumming. Mercifully, the map doesnā€™t take long so resetting isnā€™t super painful. A solution would be to give assassins and/or rangers venom strike and/or tie Savage Blow to the promoted wyvern classes instead of making it available only to one endgame guy and Hermes, who becomes ludicrously useful as soon as he hits T1 level 15. But also, while itā€™s kind of satisfying to win a battle off something that passive, it becomes boring on a replay; increasing support bonuses, cramming more supports in, or increasing deploy cap on certain chapters might be healthier for gameplay since then you have to manage positioning and health.

The fact that hit rates have been buffed across the board makes it very difficult to deal with large amounts of enemies, by the way. I get itā€™s to make leadership more meaningful, but itā€™sā€¦ not really meaningful when the chapter objective is Kill Boss and the boss has like 10+ stars. Giving the boss low movement spawning minions that serve as leadership/chip damage drones might be better than adding like a billion leadership stars that will never go away for the duration of the entire chapter which makes Luck a pretty garbage stat and Skill excessively valuable.
Of course, thatā€™s an eventing and memory challenge and the hack is pretty much done as is. It would make a fun chapter indeed though. Come to think of it, there is an event on this forum called something like thatā€¦

Tl;dr actually the game is at its healthiest regarding mechanics as it can be without putting in way too much effort for a post-final release :tired_face:
PS. are you open to the idea of fan-fangames? I kinda wanna think about a, like, E or F route that branches much earlier, possibly in a different genre of game even. There are still a few places the story can be taken and itā€™s making me itchy. < I realize this is selfish of me to go on about my enjoyment of your work being, while copious, not enough, but like, the presentation and ideas and everything were just surprisingly awesome but not super polished and so thereā€™s not as much, like, cool praise things aa there could be.

1 Like

How do I put the rar file into my VisualBoyAdvance? I am kinda a noob on patching. I have the rar file from mediafire and the Sacred Stones rom, but i dont know how to insert the hack itself.

1 Like

By the way, regarding ā€˜Where Home Isā€™ on the soundtrack, thereā€™s a few parts that I found vaguely sinister-sounding. Is that intentional, or noā€¦?

Regarding Units and Chapter 8 (As well as some others)

Personally, I wish Maria had more base speed so that she didnā€™t get doubled so easily. Sheā€™s so fragile, tbh, she feels like a Myrmidon. (Although thatā€™s because she comes with a Steel Axe which will be the death of her if it misses on the chapter she joins on in Hard Mode).

Also, this time for Chapter 8, I was able to subdue Mercer. The alternate scene makes me glad I trained up Noir.

Also, the enemy reinforcements from Zoyla didnā€™t show up this time. I guess it just be like that.

Chapter 3x even though I visited the village where Anna shows up, I didnā€™t get Elizabethā€™s Shine tome. (Though that might be because Anna died). Idk if this is intentional or not. (Also, that Door key does work actuallyā€¦ on the gate part to the left of that green unit mercenary).

Chapter 5 was also less annoying than usual thanks to the new unit added and also some other tweaks.

One of the things I remember now from when I first placed it was that Helmanā€™s quote for when he talked to Oliver hit me hard on an emotional level- mainly because Oliver was already in a Forest Tile when he talked to Helman, and then Schwartze finished him offā€¦
Little Detailsā€¦

Also, is it just me, or did Seiken have itā€™s maximum number of uses lowered?

On another note, I wrote another fanfic thingā€¦ (Iā€™m going to call these kinds of stories ā€˜Tales of the Black Knightsā€™ from now on):

Good Soldiers: (CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER 8):

Iā€™m wondering if youā€™d be interested in maybe seeing even more of these someday- there are quite a few other tales that Iā€™d like to write, potentiallyā€¦ with your permission, of course. The first tale is also in doc form now. (You can find that one here).

1 Like