FIRE EMBLEM - Code of the Black Knights: Decisive Edition (30 chapters)

I… uh… what? Did this still happen in the Jan1 version?

For context, I upped the magic for “Leader” enemies with the exact purpose of preventing this. Since Flux only reduces magic by 2 I can’t explain why does this still happen. Could you check if the enemy magic went below zero?

1 Like

I just realized I was using an old version. False alarm (probably)

1 Like

Phew :sweat_smile:

By the way, installing the patch won’t fix the bug if you already have a run of the chapter going on. This is because the enemy’s stats have been already loaded, so you’d have to restart the chapter to see the changes.

1 Like

Is there a jan 1 patch? It seems the patch I’m using has garbage data after chapter uhhh 13 so that after the chapter end event I’m getting a black screen that lasts forever. I’ll try a different emulator, I’m using rnd retroarch’s mgba core
a
edit: nvm, resetting and reloading fixed it???

1 Like

Would you mind going over the reasoning for the names of characters and weapons, like Luxterra, Avalon ,Knell and so on, if you want of course?

1 Like

HI! I’m absolutely LOVING this so far! It’s excellently done and as someone who devours romhacks this is actually by far one of my top 5 so far. I just had a question as I haven’t seen it answered anywhere, how on earth am I to complete chapter 15? I’m stuck and it’s getting on my nerves because I wanna keep going really bad

2 Likes

I have a question

Spoilers for chapter 18 part 2

Liam says that he collected almost everything that was in the convoy. What was lost?

1 Like

the key is the square by the door. honestly i had better luck just moving max range the whole time to get out of there and taking a hit.

1 Like

There’s a pillar right next to the door, it has the keys for the gate to get out of there!

1 Like
CH18-2

Depending on whether you saved the merchant, you might have lost Artemisa’s brave lance along with a few other items. If you did save him, then you probably lost nothing, at least so long as the items you sent to supply did not exceed 100.

2 Likes

WARNING: A LONG POST IS APPROACHING AT FULL THROTTLE. ACCORDING TO THE DATA, IT HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS A “BUTSUTTEKAI”. NO REFUGE!

Countries:
The countries were basically named whatever was the first thing that came into my head. The largest offender is “Al-Hadar”, which I literally made up when I was describing the hack idea to a friend and had to describe the until-then-nameless-vaguely-arabic country. The lore was tailored later to give sense to some of the names.

There are two major exceptions. Weissholdt actually means something along the lines of “The White Kingdom” because it’s blanketed in snow and for plot reasons (More on that later), and the Theocracy of Gabriel, which is named after, you know, Archangel Gabriel.

Many specific locations were also given deliberate names:

• Aisengrave, capital of Al-Hadar, was the place of death of Aisen the Dark, an evil figure that is original from the game’s lore. His actions were slightly based off Adolf Hitler, including racism-based genocide and world domination attempts.
  • The capital of Weissholdt was named “Seraphim”, one of the highest types of angel.

Protagonists and color scheme naming:

• Schwarze (But without an E) and Noir both literally mean “Black”. As in “Black Knights”.
Potential early spoilers

During the course of the game, they clash with the previously-mentioned Weissholdt, and while one side is “Black” and the other side is “White”, neither of them are exactly good or evil. Weissholdt is literally trying to stop an “evil” emperor in the making and you are trying to stop them from destroying your land while putting a stop to said conqueror too.

In other words, war is not black or white, where white is good or black is evil. Compunding this message is the name of many other characters, see below.

• Many other characters are named after colors, such as Grey, Oliver, Vert (Meaning green IIRC), Aurora and Argent (Gold and Silver), Rose, etc.

Legendary/Personal Weapons (Potentially unmarked spoilers)

• All of Rose’s weapons are named after flowers and/or parts of flowers.
  • “Seiken” means “Holy Sword” or “Blessed Edge” in japanese.
  • Gawain was one of the knights of the round table.
  • Avalon was the scabbard of the Excalibur, wielded by the leader of the knights of the round table.
  • “Knell” means the sound of a bell that is associated with someone passing away. “Dirge” is a song played during a funeral.
  • “Veredicto” just means veredict in spanish. In previous versions it was called “Juicio” (Judgement), Acusación (Indictment), Certera (Certain, Infalible) or Veritas (Truth, in latin),
  • “Quetzal” or Quetzalcoatl was a godlike winged serpent which was a central piece of aztec religion.
  • “Hades” is named after the greek god of the underworld. In the game this spear is wielded by Charon, named after one of Hades’s servants who transported dead souls into the underworld in a boat.
  • “Tizona” was the personal weapon of El Cid. I think he was a hero in Spain, but I admit I didn’t do all the research. In the game, this weapon was wielded by Z.D., which is pronounced “Cid”.
  • “Luxterra” is a mash-up of the latin words for “Light” and “Earth”.
  • “Lucifer’s Comet” was named after Lucifer, AKA Satan.
  • “Caduceus” was the staff of the greek god of medicine, and it was believed it could heal any disease and resurrect the dead. Ironically I found out later there was a staff in 3H that had the same name.
  • The Aum staff is a reused concept from the first Fire Emblem.
  • “Diraigeki” means double lightning in japanese.
  • “Diabolus” means Devil. Referencing the fact that it has the devil effect that may cause you to take damage.
  • The Genji Gloves are a Final Fantasy reference. In that game the item in question is associated with the Ninja class and/or allows its user to dual-wield.

Chapters
From chapter 13 onwards, nearly all the chapters are named after tarot cards. Examples include “Lovers’ Folly”, “Reaching the Stars” and “The Magician’s Gambit”.

Custom Classes

• In monarchic systems, a Lord Regent is a figure that leads the state whenever the king or the current heir is unavailable.
  • Apollo was the name of the greek god of the sun, who was a ridiculously good archer.
  • An Ashura was a type of spirit in asian culture that had multiple arms and were fearsome warriors. However they weren’t necessarily evil.

Other Characters

• Blaise was named after Blaise Pascal, an important figure in programming history.
  • Maria and Josephine were named after Jesus Christ’s parents.
  • Tolkien, William and Rowling were all named after famous writers.
  • Hermes was an important character in greek mythology. Funny enough, the actual Hermes was known for his absurd speed, while in this game Hermes’ speed is rather mediocre.
  • Bonnie and Clyde were a pair of (in)famous criminals.
  • Jaeger means “Hunter”. And indeed, he hunts you down for the whole game.
  • Major and Minor arcana (And the Arcana horde in general) are named after tarot.
  • Subaru is one of the randomized names for FE Fates’ Hoshidan Master at Arms. More commonly known as “The Rallyman”!
  • Shiro and Weiss both mean “White”.
  • “Janus” was the name of the greek god of portals. Or something. Hence their capacity to teleport your troops.
  • Shotel’s name is a type of sword.
5 Likes

Tolkien, William, and Rowling were all named after famous writers.

Hehehe, about the latter… I’m not sure if she’s exactly famous anymore.

EDIT: Also Schwarze’s disguise is called Shiro… is he a Hero of Justice like EMIYA???

EDIT 2: Oof, mixed up the names. Also I learned that Genji Gloves was a Final Fantasy reference. When did development for the game start btw?

1 Like

I never said popular or well-liked :v

Shiro is Noir’s disguise. It means “White”, so she’s totally incognito. Because who would suspect? Schwarze’s character arc ended up coincidentially not being too different from Emiya’s though…

EDIT: Development for COBK technically started near the end of december 2019 and the first version was released in january, though I actually started writing the script on november 17, again 2019.

1 Like

CANON.
(Also the fact that that

spoiler

this occurs at a similar time to the Holy Crusades

hmm really makes you think. it’s also kinda weird their paired ending implies there’s homophobia on Lumae, including Kalm, to the point the protags’ friends can’t be medievally gay in peace, when atheism is accepted outside of Gabriel and Naga’s scripture seems to diverge heavily from Abrahamic God’s. I’m just complaining that

chapter 24 spoilers

Schwarze only has thre marriage options because he can’t marry Hermes, which is a very bisexual name.

tbf that would involve even more writing and eventing than ordinary and the ceremony would be kinda weird
Also

more spoilers

There aren’t enough clues as to Layton’s involvement imo. I suppose it makes sense not to just outright have the Ultimate Bad Guy if this is a story of the protagonists having to make bad choices for good purposes, but the fact that he has two appearances outside of the Herald of Umbra armor prior to the choice with Kayleth is awkward. TL;DR add more houses where you can hear about Layton and Kayleth’s exploits in the background, not necessarily by name. If you could include other side characters including the ones you didn’t recruit but aren’t dead in random worldbuilding houses that’d be neat as hell too. Speaking of side characters, the fact that you find out VELKA, THE BOSS YOU KILL IN CHAPTER ONE is Elizabeth’s daughter only if you B rank her with Jin, who you can recruit only if you don’t get Rose, and that Elizabeth never finds out, blew my damn mind. Replaying chapter 1 kind of hurts now. I know FE8 has a flag for clearing the game on hard mode, do you think you can let her survive if you have that flag? :cry: I don’t think it dilutes the message about grey morality if you can have small bits of happiness for those you cherish in your quest for destruction.

I’m asking for a lot of content I know, but I promise I’ll give you things in return??? I promise?!?! C’mon I’ll make new portraits for the oldest portraits and fix the animations for a few other ones :frowning: (some of them just need to be shifted in the hackbox) This hack just has so much cool stuff going on it’s both exciting and frustrating to see some of the cool stuff NOT going on. Also, was this made in FEBuilder? Have you figured out how to get rid of the engine error warnings in the chapter windows (I peeked with febuilder to extract some portraits for reference) or does squashing bugs kill some functionality? Later chapters I assume eat too much vram so some map sprites get glitchy

One last thing in this post is that I only realized Kelly was a Kelik parody a few days ago…

2 Likes

There are some good ideas there, but I have no idea on how to use the game clear flag, assuming there is one that persists between savefiles.

Spoilers from CH1 to some endgames

Actually no, Velka is Elizabeth’s other niece. You see, Elizabeth had no children but she had two brothers. One of them had Hazel and the other one had Velka (And got very ill by the time of CH1).

Completely coincidential… I actually used the colonization of the american continent as a guide :sweat_smile:

Sadly, homophobia and religion-based discrimination are still a thing in Lumae. Definitely not as strong as in the rest of the world but still there. Homophobia was carried over from when the first humans arrived at Lumae in year Lumae 2, and while atheism is not straight-up ilegal, it is still heavily looked down upon (Especially in Gabriel, where the entire system is built around faith). This is mostly because there is a belief that denying Naga’s existence is pointless since there is plenty of evidence of his existence. (I mean, there is, but for most people it’s impossible to know for sure). At least actual racism is almost nonexistent, but in return there is also a lot of stigma around many things (Dark magic, Ex-rune knights, nationalism to some degree, political disowning -even though in our case the person who did it had good intentions-, etc). So Lumae is far from a perfect society, even in the most lighthearted endings.

There is also the issue that both Schwarze and Hermes are strictly straight, though you can get a special ending for Hermes if he has at least B-support with Schwarze.

About Layton and Kayleth, both are directly mentioned in CH18. The Herald of Umbra gets several mentions and may also make an appearance in CH19 and both of the bonus scenes, and finally there is a whole bonus chapter dedicated to Layton (Unlockable by completing Endgame A in 3 turns :smiley: ).
That said, a new scene regarding the Herald will probably be available with the new versions, as one of the upcoming characters is so far planned to have a slightly connected backstory!

And finally, most of the error messages that FEBuilder displays in the rom are false alarms. There are no glitches (that I know of) associated with these messages, which mostly regard unused content. Don’t worry about that :laughing:

Also the kelik parody is real : p

By the way Yasako, were you able to finish route D after the fix?

1 Like

Ooh I’m excited for the new content Eventually then :slight_smile: You might wanna go back and edit some of the early game script for the next big update btw, and unbelievable is consistently spelled as unbeliavable in the script. I’ll go load my savegame backup and test to see if endgame D works now, but that savegame is playing in Normal difficulty so if that boss isn’t manually assigned stats then the Difficult mode growths might still break them.

1 Like

Autoleveling is now disabled for the boss, meaning it has set stats.
On the other hand, his stats are now the same as hard even if you’re playing on normal… So use all of your statboosters and good luck!

Also, 12 unbeliavables and a case of “reporting wearing” are now removed. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there. I’d really like to start your hack once I’m done with the one I’m playing now. That said, I would also like to play it in its most complete state (though I know it is complete). What, if anything, are you planning on changing in the near future that may be worth the wait?

1 Like

5 new characters, several reworked maps and some bugfixes. It should be done before the end of January, so it’s probably worth the wait :3

After that, I don’t plan on making any changes aside from fixing stuff.

EDIT: Also, I’ve been playing with some free-to-use ASM, resulting in stuff like this:
Fire Emblem - Code of the Black Knights V1.01 Jan 2.R2.emulator_01
(Credits to Huichelaar for the custom loading screen patch)

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn’t call myself a fire emblem connoisseur, but this hack looks amazing. Good luck.

2 Likes