Fire Emblem: Black Fang [Story Complete]

Thank you!

Well, I definitely missed chapters 4x and 8x. Oh well.

Just means I have something to look forward to on the replay!

Question about something I saw on the guide; is Delphia recruited in CH 12 or 12x? The guide says to recruit her in ch 12, but unless I missed her (possible, seeing as its a fog of war map), she doesn’t even appear until the gaiden chapter.

Delphia appears on chapter 12, (her appearing to speak on 12x is a glitch of her not technically being dead in your game, though you didn’t recruit her - this issue is known and will be fixed probably in the next patch).

Depending on which patch you are on, her spawn turn and locations are different:

• in 1.01b or earlier she will appear on turn 12 on the top left

• in 1.02 she will appear on turn 7 in the lower left corner.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I’m playing V1.01b. Hate to keep asking questions, but does Chadwick promote from an event or with an item?

It’ll happen in a cinematic after an old friend is introduced.

Well damn. After returning from the dead- after more than a decade of absence it returned. And I finished it.

Sorry for the choppy writing, I’m still trying to collect my thoughts.

Every Original-story hack I’ve played has shown me something new, whether its a fantastically written story, boatloads of cool Forum-created Custom animations, deep, fleshed-out characters, etc…

None of them have been perfect- I’ve definitely enjoyed some hacks more than others, but Black Fang stands out to me. Above all, it wasn’t a game I was ever expecting to get a conclusion. I honestly thought it would just fade into the annals of the internet like so many other partially-created rom hacks.

But here I sit at my computer, having finished it. This message is getting way longer than I intended, so I’ll end it with this. I didn’t have a perfect playthrough- I made some things harder for myself on accident and i missed a few things I would’ve much preferred to have experienced/obtained, but from start to finish I can say that I loved the story. I loved the mix of humor and seriousness, I loved the cast of characters, and I tip my metaphorical hat to the people who created all those custom classes, combat animations, and other original assets. Thanks for all your hard work! Black Fang is a great game!

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, I do have a few leftover questions. Primarily, what does the cursed doll item do? I had 2 in storage by the end of the game, but I never figured out what purpose they served. Also, is the screenshot of Jonas using the weapon “The Wheel” a real photo? I never obtained a weapon like that in the game.

Thank you a ton for the kind words ReedRacer, I’m really glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

To answer your questions:

1. The Cursed Doll presently does nothing. It was originally intended to be an item that would increase some stats but decrease others. There were intended to be three of them that look identical but have different effects. For example Luck-5 but Str+2. I worried about rolling over into negatives though and instead decided I would tie them to the Karla ASM check so that using all three throughout the story would unlock Jolene towards the end (presently unlocked via 19x if Achilles is recruited and still alive). So don’t worry about missing anything with them, they’re presently in limbo.
  2. The Wheel is unlocked in the penultimate chapter Vinculum Duas Partes by having Jonas talk to your new character in that chapter. You know, the Athos replacement who could not be more different from Athos. It can only be used by Jonas. It has two range, high crit, and ignores enemy defense but it’s heavy and inaccurate. Basically sword Luna.

Black Fang.emulator_01 Black Fang.emulator_01

1 Like

I just saw this project for the first time today and it’s already 22 days old. Curse grandfather klok’s old age and slow mind!

I remember loving this hack way back in the day. It wasn’t amazing or anything, and the gameplay was a bit boring, but the story was a lot of fun and the humor was pretty good, too. Super glad to see this revived, and even happier to see you back in the community, HHS!

Oops, I totally missed that. I should’ve talked to the Athos replacement. Boy, for a character who only appeared a few times they were one of my favorites. Their epilogue was one of my favorites too. As silly as it was, It definitely felt like a threat to the whole world.

And I didn’t mention Jolene! I remember the highly-controversial FE7IF- hard mode on that was one of the toughest challenges I faced as a newbie hack player back in the day. I never thought I’d see that particular custom battle animation again.

I didn’t say it in my previous review post, but I think my favorite things in this hack other than the fresh, original story itself were the multitude of custom animations (was Chadwick’s promoted battle/crit animation something you created? That was the first time I’d ever seen it, and it was SUPER cool.) All of the unique animations really made this hack a treat to play through.

Plus special mention to this:

Summary

The unique critical animation for finishing the final boss was an extremely satisfying way to end the final map. Felt like closure mixed with vengeance.

The other thing that really stood out to me was how fleshed out the characters were. I think Arnold was my favorite (and one of my best. He was a 20/20 paladin with capped strength by the penultimate map.) His character arc was totally unexpected but very well written. Same thing with the primary antagonist- I really liked how you tied them into the lore of Elibe. It was a really cool way to tie FE6 and FE7 together.

1 Like

where can i see the units growth rates?

If you click the supports link above it’ll bring you to an online excel sheet. The bottom left tab labelled growths will bring you to the list. Note that some of these growths make certain characters seem a lot stronger/weaker than they are in practice for a variety of reasons.

why they seem stronger/weaker than they really are? because of their bases?

Y-yes. That’s definitely part of it. Like Ubaldo has incredible growths but awful bases.

But also certain characters have bonus functions. For example Jonas gets sword master’s crit bonus despite not being a swordmaster (He promotes to Champion). Other characters like Jolene and Reid/Maeve can use unique weapon classes like archers have bows nomads can’t use, Jolene can use scythes. Assassins can still steal and don’t lose that upon promotion. Niime can see far into the dark. Chadwick can lockpick.

Another thing is special magic efficacy. Keagan’s growths are good but being able to use fire on horses and thunder on knights makes him a hardcore problem solver.

Like most lists, availability and investment should be measured along growths rather than taking growths as gospel. You know what I mean?

1 Like

i understand that, you mean that not everything is stats, but also utility in general

1 Like

Really?

That’s good to know.
I assumed he had bad growts because he was old and had a weak hairline

Hey, I keep hitting a weird thing on 12x where the chapter refuses to end. I kill the final enemy, a cutscene plays with niime, the northern “church” looking bit opens up, a teleport effect happens in the middle of the new area and then there is no one there to kill and it says “defeat enemy, 0” no matter how many turns I wait.

Are you on the most recent patch?

Someone else had the same problem. But when I went to fix it I couldn’t get the glitch to trigger so I’m having trouble finding the source.

Two more enemies should spawn in right after the scene. Like it’s the same event but for some reason it disregarded the placement.