Fire Emblem Avengers Hack

I recently joined this community and have started with FEGBA Builder, writing on supports and stuff for another upcoming hack. However, I have an idea I’d like to flesh out and make that I probably can’t do alone, so I wanted to see if anyone out there would be down to help me design it and do spritework/map overhauls. The pitch is The Infinity Gauntlet.

(Please bear with me this post is unfinished and I accidentally posted it)

The Infinity Gauntlet takes story elements and essentially everything from the recent Marvel installations Infinity War and Endgame AND the original comic they were based on, The Infinity Gauntlet. Essentially, many assets would have to be overhauled and programmed in such as magic being sorcery or bows being webs or guns or even bows themselves and adding new weapons and programming them. I also have an idea for a new weapon, Gauntlet, that can do physical or magical damage based on what type of stone is equipped, so for instance, the Mind Stone would do magical damage like the Thunder blade. The first 10 chapters would be an introduction to the characters and features, the next 5 would be the ending events of Infinity War, and the last 10 to 15 chapters would be Endgame depending on how it goes.

I’m hoping that the new features and such would be a draw. The Jagen unit, Dr. Strange would be equipped with the Time Stone, an alternative for Mila’s Turnwheel which would have 15 uses until breaking along with powerful magic attacks.

The idea of the Gauntlet being the stones and such would also mean that the protagonist would be able to wield them eventually. Obviously there would be a limit to the amount of MCU and comic characters that could be included, but I also believe that certain other functions might make it worth investing in. Kirb had script for Mila’s Turnwheel for gba and might let me use it, so I could already potentially have that part.

There would also be new classes like Titan which wields Swords and Gauntlets (The Infinity Stone weapon class.) The transformer class would be The Hulk who uses anger as his beaststone like thing to transform into Hulk. Agents like Hawkeye and Black Widow would be agent classss which would wield guns which would be a reskinned bow, with some tweaks and close range access.

Mages would be changed to sorcerers, ie Wong, and the Sorcerer Supreme, the promote, would be Dr. Strange, who can use stones and magic and staves, the magic of which would obviously be redesigned to look more like his magic. Spiderman would have a special Spidey class which would be a supporter class with attack ability. He would use webs that vary between attacks and debuffs. Iron Man, War Machine, Hulk Buster, and Spider’s promotion Iron Spider would be Iron Suit, which allows the use of a reskinned magic, Lasers, and would be a flyer. Spidey’s would be altered to have webs installed too.

One more update: the biggest thing would probably be spriting and adding extra weapons which I think has been done before. I’m trying to get together a few prototype maps now but I have no skill with spriting or anything yet so it’s just gonna be with normal sacred stones assets.

3 Likes

I love comics, I love The Avengers, I’ve loved the MCU so far, and this could be pretty cool given the expansive roster in the comics and, specifically, the Infinity Gauntlet era. But I don’t really know if a simple pitch is going to garner the attention it would need for something like this.

I’m hoping that the new features and such would be a draw. The Jagen unit, Dr. Strange would be equipped with the Time Stone, an alternative for Mila’s Turnwheel which would have 15 uses until breaking along with powerful magic attacks.

The idea of the Gauntlet being the stones and such would also mean that the protagonist would be able to wield them eventually. Obviously there would be a limit to the amount of MCU and comic characters that could be included, but I also believe that certain other functions might make it worth investing in. Kirb had script for Mila’s Turnwheel for gba and might let me use it, so I could already potentially have that part. However, I believe this could be a really good and fun hack if people were down to help or invest time.

1 Like

I would love to see a crossover hack like this, I really would. But with nothing more than a concept to show, from what I’ve seen anyways, it doesn’t offer much in the way of motivation? It’s ambitious, and it would be a lot of work - and if it takes off, I’d be all over that. But it would definitely require input from the rest of the community, first. I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I’ve put myself or been hired onto 8 different projects since I came back to the community in December, and every one of them only picked up steam (if at all) after having something to show, other than a proof of concept.

It’s more or less my experience and being a starter. I guess it’s a bit ambitious for someone new to the scene and it’s understandable that itd seem the way it does. I’ve added a bit more info to it, however, I don’t really know how to gain traction in this community. It’d be great to try and make this take off though cuz I don’t want it to be impossible because I started inexperienced.

1 Like

It definitely isn’t impossible. You said you’ve started working with FEBuilder? You can start trying to put together some initial chapters, show off some of the writing - even if you have to disable animations for now because none of the placeholders work, give the community something to see. Make them see that it’s worth their effort and won’t be a blitz project or dead on arrival.

I haven’t been back long and I have no hacking abilities yet, but I’m learning from all these other projects. Dip your feet in the water, try some things, and maybe this will take off. I really hope it does.

There certainly are a lot of ideas contained within this post for a hack. It’s certainly an ambitious concept. But the problem is that there have been many, many concepts in this community throughout the years. But overambition has killed an uncountable amount of projects, and many more never even got off the ground.

To gain traction, the best solution is to actually do something. Nobody likes an ideas guy. People like proactive sorts. If you’ve got a few chapters worth of a demo, people will come. Otherwise, people will think it would just be a big waste of time. You really want to make this reality? Get out your hacking tools, and hack!

4 Likes

Would it matter if I currently had custom animations or not? As well as not having like everything looking like special yet? Because I’m familiar with the map maker and was even messing around with it earlier so I could probably finish something and pull it together. It’d just be using all Sacred Stones assets though.

Sacred Stones map sprites and animations off probably wouldn’t be a big deal as long as it was being worked on, honestly. Or even use placeholders stuff, everyone does. As long as there’s something to show, people take a lot more kindly to it.

Yeah, I’m kinda new to the community, been around lurking for a few months since I threw my hat in the ring to try and help with supports for Sacred Echoes, but I’ll definitely try to make something by tonight’s end.

1 Like

No need to rush. I’m looking forward to what you can show us, though.

It’ll probably just be a few maps, I’m still getting used to writing the script and actually making my own events. However, if nothing else, if I can’t manage the events, I will be able to try and get concept sketches of some of the characters which I have up as well as a script to compensate for the lack of much else aside from maps.

1 Like

That’s a great start. We have a lot of guys around who are great eventers and would be able to give you some pointers if you asked. Just gotta get their attention, friend.

Build a game first and show that you can make good maps and engaging gameplay. Probably around 7-10 chapters. The rest can come later, and if it’s promising and has a hook, people will be more willing to help you out.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ideas:
Make the Hulk a Berserker with berserk status always on.
Make captain america, the winter soldier, and black panther all into “hero” type units.
Making the stones distinct from the gauntlet, but also behave differently when equipped with the gauntlet sounds like an asm nightmare.
You’d be working with a ton of custom portraits, animations, unit sprites and asm code. All of which seem to be the most time consuming things in FE hacking. (like you could probably program a full chapter in the time it takes to make a battle animation)

Like others have said, over-ambition is the biggest project killer in this community. Hundreds of hacks have been started and I think the finished hack count comes to about 20.

2 Likes

Hey dude, love the concept. I think we all start somewhere, and it seems daunting. 6 or so months ago I was in a similar position to you, with an idea and little else. I’d echo what everyone else said, to just start working on something to get some kind of working concept out there. Doesn’t need to be good or polished, just something.

Even by doing so, you’ll learn so so so much that is going to be invaluable as time goes on. And one way or another, if this project is going to be yours to own, you’re going to have to develop a lot of the skills and know-how to keep it going, even if others eventually come on board. So my suggestion is to start working on something, and learn, learn, learn. And if you have questions, ask! It’s hard to teach yourself everything. As Dar and Dan and Zan said, most people won’t be willing to DO things for you until they see a concrete product, but many people here are willing to HELP YOU learn to do things, so you can do them yourself. And in the long run, this will be the most valuable, as then you can make the game that you want.

I’m a huge Marvel nerd (I own over a 1000 issues of comics), and I’m rooting for you! I’m not an expert at, well, anything in hacking really, but feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions/run into any roadblocks and maybe I could help (although I’m not sure I’m the best guy, but I promise an honest effort to assist). Good luck, friend!

4 Likes

I’ve been toying around with importing animations from other GBA games into Sacred Stones (specifically for battle and mug animations,) I don’t have much to show so far and haven’t had much time to work on this recently with prep for college and spending my free time with friends, but I am continuing to try and make something and would like to thank all of you for your support thus far. Once I have a concrete product to show for it, I will make a larger post and create an official discord server, which I can’t promise will be any time soon given how busy my life is so far, however, I hope to have something to show before summer ends to give an estimate at the very least. Thank you all.

Progress Update and Downsizing Scale
So far, I have been able to edit 2 maps of the original Sacred Stones, having added 2 new and very unpolished animations using rips from the Spiderman Ultimate and Invincible Iron Man GBA games. While I am still trying to add new music in and find a way to edit chapter events to make the demo worth playing and worth your time, I also have a few things I’d like to say regarding the size of the hack. I’m beginning to realize that I’d like a project that is polished and short rather than drawn out and sloppy. As such, I am scaling down my aspirations for the project with many cut ideas being “stretch goals” in hopes that I will be able to follow through with the hack itself, given that this is my first hack.

EDITED GOALS:

-10 Chapters

-Cutting back on the amount of playable characters. Character roster will consist of 10 playable units so far, each of which I hope to have unique battle and map animations for. I currently have 2 battle animations but both are severely unpolished and require touch ups.

-In terms of villains, I hope to add 3 classes, one of which will be recycled for 4 bosses with different weapons. In total, 5 (or possibly 6) villain portraits.

-One NPC unit portrait that does not need a battle animation sprite but does need a map sprite.

-Edited icons for certain weapons

-Weapons will have infinite uses and the amount of new weapons will be cut down significantly, with some merely being touch-ups of in game items.

-Infinity Stone items that act as objects with different effects.

-A new title screen replacing the “Fire Emblem” logo with that of “The Avengers.”

-Special promotion lines for 5 of 10 playable characters. The rest will be able to promote but with little difference.

-A more condensed story with a satisfying conclusion at Chapter 10

As this is my first hack, I am trying to treat it as such, using it for a learning experience and getting better used to assembling events and working with FEGBA. I will post screenshots of my progress when I can, as I do not know how to upload animations or anything of the sort.

Finally, I made a Discord server for this if anyone is interested or just wants to follow where this goes. I don’t expect to be finished with this any time soon but if you’re interested, pop on in.

1 Like

1 Like