[FE9] High Resolution Texture Pack For Dolphin

Hello. ヾ(•ω•`)o

Background:
Over the past few months I’ve been working on and off on a texture pack for FE9.
I was replaying the game on my 4k TV and thought it looked less than “radiant” (‾◡◝).
I have few years of experience with photoshop and recently have been incorporating esrgan into my setup. The goal of this project was to produce textures that look almost exactly like the oringinals, just sharper. :slight_smile:
ESRGAN lets you train models for image scaling, and finetune image results. After some work I was able to get 2 models that work well both for sprites, and for the textures for 3d models.
Consider this an alpha release with bugs.

If you find any texture does not work or looks glitchy, please post it in the thread so I can fix it. Thank you very much (✿◡‿◡)

Main post:

Version 0.0.1 Alpha
This texture pack is for the dolphin emulator.
It contains almost every single texture in game (except for movies) in 4x original resolution.
Textures have been upscaled using a variety of tools to maintain accuracy to the original.
When needed textures have been edited by hand to remove error and glitching.
This version has issues with character faces.
They are listed in “optional” folder and can be deleted if desired.

Requirements

1. A legal copy of FE:PoR (US Release GFEE01)
  2. Dolphin Emu (please use a development version, 5.0 will not function correctly) installed on your PC
  3. A GPU that supports DX10+

How to use

1. Download texture pack from one of these links:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lVIVQXKAEzX_0zml7KPdrwVH2WptR2f4
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pw0-FWj0RL6dnjzM34j7hZTgKjoflSsb
    https://f002.backblazeb2.com/file/TexturePacks/FE%20POR%20Upscaled%20Texture%20Pack.rar
    https://megaup.net/5vJsg/FE_POR_Upscaled_Texture_Pack.rar <- dead :frowning:
  2. Unrar file to -> C:\Users\User Name\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures
  3. Open Dolphin emulator.
  4. Enter Graphics > Advanced tab > Check Load Custom Textures.
    Prefetching textures is helpful as it can eliminate menu studder.

Screenshots
please click on image to see full size

Thanks Section
Nintendo for making a fun game.
My computer for doing the heavy lifting.
Several cups of coffee.

32 Likes

Damn, I never noticed how weirdly titania’s armor was shaded

6 Likes

I was just thinking about replaying PoR, so I guess I’ll give these a go

3 Likes

Awesome job! Any plans to do the same for Radiant Dawn?

1 Like

I have a copy of RD coming in the mail, so maybe. I’d like to play through it first o(°▽°)o

1 Like

Hey, this is cool! Path of Radiance was my first FE and is still my second favorite overall, but I do feel the models and other graphics were aging very poorly compared to the rest of the game. So it’s nice to see it get a bit of an overhaul! This will definitely make the big screen experience nicer on the eyes, lol.

As an aside, I hope you enjoy Radiant Dawn!

3 Likes

Anyone have a mirror for the download? The first link has expired and the second has hit a datacap.

1 Like

Retry the 2nd one, they usually reup my limit every day or so.
I’ll try and find a new link.
Big packs like this always are a pain for hosting providers.
Edit: Added in a torrent and google drive link also.

1 Like

Question. Its just “unzip and done”?
And are the files supposed to be .dds and not .png?

1 Like

Unzip then just follow the dolphin setup instructions.
The dds files are there to save space, its a common compression format.
It saves almost 5gb when its compressed from png to dds.

2 Likes

I don’t know why, but many textures don’t work for me, only the caracter faces are in HD. The UI of the game and the text are not in HD, I try to use a europeean and american version, but I still have the same problem, I use dolphin 5.0 . Do you have an idea why it doesn’t work and can you give me maybe a version who work with your textures pack as if ossible please. Except that this textures pack looks very cool.
EDIT: I take a more recently version of dolphin(Dolphin 5.0-11600), and it work for the US version but the european version work only a little bit (like I explain previously), so I think it’s normal this time, but maybe it’s easy to correct, and maybe you can fix it for the european version.
Thank for this textures pack, the HD graphics are a pleasure for my eyes.

2 Likes

Hi, looked into it. Yeah it won’t work with 5.0 because of some changes they made to texture loading.
I’ll add a note to use the development release in the main post.
I’ll see how different the european version is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much, for the information, I have another question, why yiu can’t make texture for the eyes and mouth of character in the dialog?
(I didn’t say before but I’m french, so I’m apology for the grammatical mistake)

1 Like

Does this patch work also for the European version?

will you make a pack for FE:RD ?

Replies here since I have some time due to quarantine:

The game basically has 3/4 files for each face, one for the face itself, another for the eye/eyes, and another for the mouth. Dolphin was having issues with scaling the textures correctly and they were not aligning despite my best efforts so I let them stay. I’ve circled back to it now and then but same results :(.

Haven’t tried it, but would say no.

Yes, its on my todo list :). I’ve been super busy the past year so I hope to get back to working on it soon.

1 Like

I’m having issues with the facial textures from this pack. Attached is what I am seeing.

I have also attached screenshots of my Dolphin settings.

This all looks great, but I would like to see what I can do about these issues.

These kind of surprise is great! I’m sadly using the european version so I guess it won’t work from what i’ve readed ; but still, great job!

It really changes a lot of things, so this is definitely a good thing to do.

The author specifically stated that the portraits have issues.

I should mention that a newer hd texture pack was released last month by a different person. Go check it out here. I’m on chapter 17 using it and everything looks gorgeous, including portraits.

Hi there, I have a very silly question. I
What would happen if I tried to load this on a Gamecube modded to do HD output? I assume it wouldn’t work, but I’m just curious.

1 Like