[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

If you’d like to the code the skills yourself and make a pull request, I’m sure the Skillsys maintainers would happily accept them.

2 Likes

I wanna ask… Do Skyguard, Horseguard, and Armorboost get the classes they affect from a list? Or is it from the effectiveness rework?

The mod is no longer compatable with “Base stat based promotion for reclassing” ?

Or is it included? If so do I have to do something to enable it? Thanks!

1 Like

Skill I came up with:

Strong Strong Lift: Unit has +5 Aid without changing their Con.

To implement add this to Engine Hacks\Necessary\StatGetters_Common.event :

prStrongBonus:
	rIfUnitHasSkill(StrongID)
		rAddConst(5)

And “prStrongBonus” right after “prAdjustAidIfMounted” in Aid.event

And remember to add the skill into skill_definitions.event, skill_descriptions.event, and skill_icons.event

(Icon is a recolor of the Puissance icon)

You could also use this method to add some Awakening skills like Defense +2 or HP +5 as well

1 Like

Unfortunately, when you have a +Aid boost, it doesn’t display the glowing green numbers like for other stats. But hopefully some wizard can make it happen

The skills people make using this is insanely creative though it’s a bit sad to me that the other fighter skills like special, bold and vengeful fighter aren’t included yet. Wary fighter is fine i just wish armors have more verity in terms of skills

There are those, just not in the FEBuilder version.

Hey. So I know that there’s a hack for the Freeze status in the Github…

But HOW do I actually implement it as a staff in the game? Where do I set it so a staff inflicts this status?

Wind Disciple grants both +10 Hit AND Avoid

I’d prob use one that only increases hit by a bit more than something like insight under the Wind Disc condition. It could be maybe a sidegrade to that, as in, yeah, you lose the avoid bonus, but you get much more hit or smth like that

1 Like

Well, the code foe Wind Disciple shouldn’t be too hard to edit. I belive it’s just these values

Do I have to just change these comented values (after the #)? If so, can I set avo to 0 to make it so it gives no avoid?

I think so, yeah. Just make sure to test it

Cool! Was just worried that putting avo to 0 would just make so the user loses avo instead if just ignoring that part

Nah. it shouldn’t work like that. Because it’s additive. You’re going from +10 to +0

1 Like

Hello! Having some issues with implementing this. When I try to edit what seems like a successfully patched rom with FEBuilder, it tells me “Skill Extensions cannot get SkillSystem’s Icons.” Is this a known problem, did I screw something up?

I did manage to do this once before a few years back, has there been new compatability issues between SkillSystem and the Builder since then?

It’s a result of how FEBuilder attempts to find data in the skill system. It looks for a specific sequence in bytes in the ROM to find the data it needs.

The problem is, since the github skill system is a buildfile, byte sequences that builder looka for can be modified and then builder will be left without any way of knowing where things are.

First, I recommend updating FEBuilder first to see if the sequences builder looks for have been adjusted.

If that doesn’t work, I’d ask 7743.
Since he’s the sole person making FEBuilder work with the skill system, he’d be the best person to look into it.

2 Likes

New skill idea:

Double or Nothing: If unit initiates combat and deals no damage, grants another action

So basically, it’s the Galeforce effect, but with a different triger.

The conditions for “dealing no damage” would qualify as:

• Missing
  • Dealing 0 damage due to raw stats
  • Dealing 0 damage de to skill activations (Pavise, Foresight, ETC…)
  • Any combination of the above

I don’t know how hard it would be to code. But I think it would be interesting.

1 Like

Thank you!

Tried updating, didn’t do much. So I guess I post about this over in the Builder topic, since 7743 seems to post there often? I don’t see any DM system on here, but maybe I’m just blind?

Click on your profile image in the top right and the envelope:

On the right-hand edge, there’s a “compose new message” button, clicking it opens the more-or-less same UI as posting a topic:

That said, I think leaving the knowledge public is for the best since then more people might be able to help and people can find/link the message when searching for/helping solve a problem in the future.

2 Likes