[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

so i’ve gone into ephraim’s route and i found some “things” when i patched my gba file: what i found odd is that when i only just use the patch for the skills using ups, some units appear bugged, like some fighters with steel swords whose map sprites are light runes and some knights have axes but can’t weild them… there a couple more but if there’s something i’m not doing right or something i missed pls someone point at where or what i need to look at or do

Bug report incoming. The skill “Heavy Strikes” does not play along with other skills that modify critical hit chance. Here’s an example:
dozla1 dozla2

Here, Dozla should have 6 points from his Skl stat (12/2) + 15 from the Heavy Strikes skill + 15 from his zerker class = 36, but he only has 21.

maybe it’s intended ?

Maybe it is displayed only like cunning?

Why the hell would it be intended for the skill not to work as stated in the description?

Well, cunning at least partially does what it says (able to use locks and increased vision).

Is there also like a full list of all the available skills? If so where can I find it?

Not every skill listed is functional, but this is the closest thing to a comprehensive list.

1 Like

The link doesnt seem to work for me? It just gives me an “error 404” :confused:

1 Like

https://github.com/FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8/blob/master/Engine%20Hacks/SkillSystem/skill_definitions.event

should be the correct URL. Discourse or whatever is adding a “%25” uselessly and is breaking the link. Copy and paste it into your browser.

1 Like

Are suggestions still being considered?
If so then can anyone consider making Quick riposte and Brash assault from FeH
If not then ignore this

2 Likes

is there a way to make weapons and other items boost magic?

1 Like

Magic Stat Bonus is written to the first unused byte of stat bonuses.

#define StatBonus(HPB,StrB,MagB,SklB,SpdB,DefB,ResB,LckB,MovB,ConB) "BYTE HPB StrB SklB SpdB DefB ResB LckB MovB ConB MagB 0x0 0x0"
4 Likes

Hi all! First time long time. I am just starting a run of the game using the vanilla ups. A few questions:

1. joshua starts above level 1 and therefore does not have duelist blow (lvl 1 skill for myrmidon) is there anyway for him to aquire this?

2. tower of valni black screens. I saw a couple posts about it but not sure if anyone had a resolution?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Vanilla patch is old. Level 1 skills should be set to level 255 so they’re learned on load, and Valni tileset used to be overwritten by text. If you just want to play vanilla FE8 with skills I’d recommend using febuilder and applying the skill system patch there.

3 Likes

Ok at this point (chapter 8ish) what do you recommend to make everyrhing work?

Do a full build? If so i see the game STARTS at a boss rush - is that correct? If so could i do a full build and contiue playing from where i left off?

1 Like

You would probably want to comment out the events in the ROM buildfile.

Is there anyway we could get a set offset for the Magic Class and Character tables? So that people can use it for minor hacking of FE8?

That would defeat the purpose of buildfile method, which is to not worry about concrete offsets (which is almost always better). Is there any reason why you would need a set offset?

1 Like

Skill System updates! :tada: A whole bunch of shit got merged today (thanks, @StanH), so here’s a quick summary:
Various oversights in the Strength/Magic Split have been fixed:

GetItemMagBonus has been ALIGN 4ed.
Magic Sword Rework has had some edits to make magic swords get magic instead of all of that vanilla nonsense.
Remove the suspend stuff from the strmag installer since that seems completely redundant with EMS being a thing.
MSS with strmag has been changed to show status instead of traveler info.
Magic autolevel has been fixed by commenting out a small hack that shouldn't exist.
Prep Screen Item Usability Table has been added as a CSV, and strmag statbooster stuff uses that now instead of its old system.
Magic promotion boost getter has been fixed.

There aren’t any other known issues with the Strength/Magic Split, but please report any bugs you find! I highly recommend you update your Skill System if you are currently using Strength/Magic Split.

We’ve got Weapon Usability Loop and Class Level Caps as a CSV thanks to @Sme

A few fixes to Stairs:

Stairs has been added to EMS to save the character struct stair byte.
All allegiances are checked for when checking for a unit on the other end of a staircase.
Fog is now accounted for when checking the other end.
No more stairing while rescuing or while cantoing.

(Support for those fixes on the non-Skill System-affiliated version :soon:) This pr includes a new Post-Action loop that resolves the Lunge/Escape-Arrive/Stairs conflict. @Sme’s Escape-Arrive is also now in the Skill System. Include in “_MasterHackInstaller.event”.

@Zeta just replaced a bunch of #incext png2dmp calls with #incbin, so faster build time!

To make @Pikmin1211 stop bugging me about this :stuck_out_tongue: there’s a new feature for trap data: Healtiles. Kinda hijacked DVs for this, but to use, use the macro in trap data: HealTile(XX,YY,HealPercent) or HealTile(XX,YY,HealPercent,EventID), and a unit standing on that tile will be healed if the event ID is false.

15 Likes