[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

It’s because I’m working on a 1 chapter hack, right now. I wonder how I could update the Skill System now that I already worked on my hack and an older version is in it.

1 Like

If you’re using buildfiles, just update your files. If you’re using FEBuilderGBA, I don’t know if FEBuilderGBA lets you replace all of that ;-;

1 Like

I don’t believe it does. If you want as much flexibility as possible with skills then you’d want to use buildfiles so you can edit the asm of the skills however you want.

3 Likes

Is there anyway to make an Item have Recovery from FE Echoes?

1 Like

The closest thing would be giving an item a self healing Skill (Renewal, Camaraderie, Relief or Forager).

2 Likes

Hey guys, why no Quick Riposte in the skill system? It should not be that hard…

1 Like

You would be surprised at how hard it is.

From what I remember someone’s explanation being, Quick Riposte on a defender we’ll call B being attacked by attacker A makes combat attacks go in this order:

A attacks
B counterattacks
A doubles B
B triggers Quick Riposte

That’s cool, but from what I’ve read other people say, the doubling routine isn’t used to having two characters double attack in the same turn. Trying to fix that is the hard part. Someone who’s better can correct me if I’m wrong :frowning:

I’m not good at making skills, I don’t even know how it works, but acording to the description I think the adept skill gives you an aditional attack? can the condition be changed from spd to hp? Brave weapons can double or have 4 attacks on higher AS unit and 2 on lower AS unit.

Or maybe its just another ghost skill and/or my logic is flawed and it could not work.

Adept works by setting the brave flag for that particular round. Quick Riposte, to my understanding, works as Runa said:
A attacks
B counterattacks
A doubles B
B triggers Quick Riposte

If we used the Adept code, however, you’d get the following order:
A attacks
B counterattacks
B triggers Quick Riposte
A doubles B

It’s certainly doable, of course, but it may not be trivial.

3 Likes

I actually would not mind, I think nobody would mind if we get it even if it is just brave effect, also, is there a way to get the mixed blow skills? Like Swift sparrow (atk/spd +4 on initiation) and sturdy blow (Atk/def + 4 on initiation) and such? I really appreciate you took the time to answer.

I feel allowing the unit with ‘QR’ to follow up before the enemy can perform a second attack is a significant enough change that I don’t think it can really be called QR anymore. A key sticking point of QR is how it doesn’t affect how much damage you would otherwise take if you were to be doubled, it’s purely offensive. Being able to follow up before the enemy doubles is much more likely to have a significant impact defensively if the player is dealing heavy damage I feel which has the potential to add a whole new dimension to the skill.

On a less loaded note, hybrid blow skills are very much possible. I actually was making a spd/res one for my hack a considerable amount of months ago.
Then I forgot to save!
Now I haven’t really touched trying to do it again since it’s not a priority anymore but it’s definitely one of the easier types of skills people can try to make.

2 Likes

QR as Tequila describe
“A attacks
B counterattacks
A doubles B
B triggers Quick Riposte”
after triggered, the battle will be like this
“A attacks
B counterattacks
B makes the following-up attack
A counterattacks”

If B got a double attack after the first strike of A, then why not consider that a brave effect?
QR can be done by this:

• Check user’s HP after the attack
  • If the user’s HP met the requirement of the skill ( below 75% as I remember, correct me if I’m wrong), user’s attack gain “Brave Weapon Effect”

Therefore, the attacker still double QR’s user, QR’s user still double strike him by using Brave Weapon Effect. And this doesn’t break the rule that “only one person got double strike in battle”

2 Likes

What if A can double and one-round B, but B could kill A with 2 hits? Then (assuming all attacks hit), we’d have the following scenarios:

“A attacks
B counterattacks
A doubles B
B is dead, so no Quick Riposte”

or

“A attacks
B counterattacks
B makes the following-up attack
A is dead”

That’s a pretty significant difference. I don’t think QR should give the brave effect.

2 Likes

Or you could make it like 3 Houses QR, where you get a follow-up AND deny your opponent’s follow-up (the game doesn’t tell you the latter). Of course, the HP requirement is checked before combat.

A attacks
B counterattacks
A can’t double regardless of speed
B doubles regardless of speed

3 Likes

That would be a lot easier to do.

1 Like

Im actually kinda confused, after creating the patch using make hack full, what do you do next? i didn’t see any changes

1 Like

Did you put a clean rom named FE8_clean in the folder before running?

Yep, i definitely did

1 Like

Are you opening up SkillTest.gba instead of the clean rom?

No…