[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

Run MAKEHACK_FULL whenever you update tables. You’ve never ran it so makehack quick will not work.

I had those errors with MAKEHACK_FULL. Neither of them works, unfortunately.

Share your buildfile, then? Github is easiest. Just clone the skillsys repo and use github desktop.

Have you tried downloading a clean copy of the skillsys buildfile and running the makehack files?

The thing is, I didn’t edit anything. I’m just trying to use the base files but I can’t get this to work. I tried for a long time but every time I get these errors.

Edit: After retrying on another hard drive, now I don’t get the errors anymore, but the ROM is unchanged. Now the only difference I can see is that the SkillsTest works and I have access to the Boss Rush, but that’s it.
I still don’t know what to do to make it work.

Why when i try to see the skills on FEbuilder there is a bunch that it seems corrupted with names on them but no description and the icons are corrupted ?

That’d probably be something to ask about in the FEBuilder thread instead of here. As far as I know, these folks can’t do anything about the FEBuilder implementation of the skill system.

Not changing your clean ROM is intended behavior. Your SkillsTest.gba has your modified ROM with the skill system installed.

What exactly are you trying to do with the skill system?

2 Likes

I noticed a bug with the str/mag split in the skill system.

Enemy mage NPC mage

The enemy mages seem to have an unnatural boost in their mag for some odd reason. Both are the same class, same character id, etc. This happens to any class that have a decent magic growth (above 10). Finally, this bug seem to only happen after the route split. I did install this with FeBuilder so the problem could stem from that end.

This is a known bug, I think. It’s an overflow that occurs if autolevels for a map are set to negative.

1 Like

Autolevels set to negative? What do you mean by that?

On Easy mode and Normal mode, enemies will invisibly lose some levels in most chapters. Eg. The enemy will say level 10, but with a -3 penalty they will have the stats of a level 7. This is how the game adjusts the difficulty of the modes. You set a level penalty for each chapter for easy and normal, and a level bonus for hard mode.

This bug will not occur on hard mode where bonus levels make the enemies stronger. I imagine this bug is fixed on the skillsystems buildfile, but the febuilder version is quite outdated and therefore still has the bug. I am not certain, though.

1 Like

Looks like the updated c2ea.exe in the latest commit is setting off windows defender.

I assume it’s a false positive but probably gonna run this in a vm for now.

Luckily, FeBuilder do have have a way to remove the normal and easy mode penalty. Thank you for explaining, because I would have had no idea that the penalties were an existing thing.

1 Like

I’m not really sure anyone knows exactly what is causing it to set off windows defender. There was some discussion about this recently, though:

Personally I am not worried. Ultimately, you can always compile those from the source code yourself if you are concerned. If you want to take precautions, go ahead, though.

1 Like

As the guy in these screenshots I can confirm there’s no virus. It’s bizarre that this happens, though

Fuck windows defender btw

1 Like

Can anyone explain how to add character level up skills? It seems to be different from adding class level up skills but the proper syntax/file isn’t mentioned anywhere.

Class works by having the Class Level Up Skills table refer to this file:

Summary

SkillSystem_FE8/EngineHacks/SkillSystem/skill_lists.event at master · FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8 · GitHub

Character level up table can be found here:

Summary

SkillSystem_FE8/Tables/NightmareModules/Skills/CharacterLevelUpSkillEditor.csv at master · FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8 · GitHub

Thanks for the reply, I still don’t understand how to add character level up skills though.

Class level up skills I understand and I have edited that event file successfully.

Edit: I tried this both with and without “IsPointer” and added an entry with the same text to skill_lists.event but neither worked.
Test Test 2

1 Like

SkillSystems’ tmx2ea.exe requests api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll.
I did not get this error before, so I think it is an error that appears in newer versions.
This dll seems to be included in Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

However, installing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for VS2015 - 2019 did not help.
Maybe I need to get the dlls in some other way.
(However, downloading the dll from other than the official Microsoft website is dangerous, so I do not recommend it.)

Has anyone been able to resolve this error?
For now, I will report this error.

@LynStan
Try asking in #hacking_help on discord or referencing someone’s project buildfile