[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

I was adviced by 7743 to include a ups with the issue, so here’s it is:

7743 also told me not to post questions in DMs, so I’ll do as he say in that regard from now on too.

Really appreciate everyone being helpful to me as a newcomer!

1 Like

Question: How would I go about making a skill that negates only one type of effectiveness? Rather than all of them like Nullify does. Think like, a Fili Shield, but in skill form

I wonder if there’s a market for a “Thunderclap” skill that deals either low flat damage or 25% of a normal hit if combat similarly goes sour.

I’m sure some bosses would benefit, just to be taken more seriously. Or low Skill player units, if it can still count as an in combat damage/kill for EXP, instead of a “Poison Strike” type ability.

BTW, I’m assuming that Skill system was meant to check if a unit should have a skill in its learn tree on every level up from the first gif, and that FEBuilder’s version simply doesn’t have that functionality in its current build, and should ask their thread about it?
Currently working on another rebalance that doesn’t reset level on promotion and had to set skills in the base classes just so they can’t miss skills for promoting late.

I guess you’d want to turn effectiveness rework on in config and make an exception similar to nullify, although maybe placed differently idk. I remember editing it myself to make drying pan block water hits but not make ineffective hits neutral. It was a headache. I think effectiveness rework could use a C rewrite, although who knows if that will happen.

I made it so missing in pokemblem instead deals a “glancing blow”, which deals half damage. Is this something like what you were thinking of? I might’ve made it into a standalone skill for skillsys master - I don’t remember.

I think it isn’t setup so well for levels that don’t reset. I never remember how it works because I don’t use it, but it might be adding levels for promoted units. A level 21 paladin might be considered level 41, perhaps?

1 Like

Well, if they’re promoted before 15 and level (to 15) they get the skill, if they promote at 15 they don’t, if they level past 15 while promoted they don’t.

Worthwhile read:

Main quote of interest:

I get what you’re saying, but that’s why I detailed everything; it doesn’t make logical sense.

But to further define; I’ve only added class learned skills, not character slot specific ones.

EDIT: I clicked the wrong reply on this one, my bad.

I’ve been trying to Implement FailnGale alongside Galeforce, but I can’t quite get it to work. Could you possibly make a PR to Github so it has it’s own separate folder and hav it work alongside Galeforce, please?

That’s what I did. I made the pull request right before posting. I think Sme approved it and merged it to master yesterday. Before that, you would’ve just had to look at open pull requests on skillsys.

3 Likes

Question: How would I go about making a skill that adds 4 damage to units that have specific names? Sorta like Oboro’s personal skill, but based on names.

Preferably, I would like for it to read and match any text ID instead of linking to specific text IDs. And also having multiple possible names.

And if possible, could it also be made to where you deal 4 less damage to a different list of names?

Units’ names do not change, so I think you should simply do it by unit IDs instead. You can write whatever you want in the skill text.

So… Trample?

Up With Arch/Down With Arch skills check the opponent’s name to start with a specific string

You would do this, checking against some list of strings rather than a single hardcoded one

1 Like

Also, I’ve been thinking, since we’ve had so many movement skills for such a long time (Shove, Swap, Lunge, ETC…), I think it’s about time someone made the Anchor skill from 3H and Engage. A skill hat simply makes the user inmune to other units’ movement skills.

This would help prevent cheesing bosses in hacks. Additionally, I think it would be great if it was made so this skill prevents capture, but NOT steal.

1 Like

Question: How do you change how much is debuffed in the seal skills? If say, I wanna change the number from 6 to 4. And how do I change how much it recovers per turn?

1 Like

Thanks! It worked.

Another question. How can I modify one of the push skills so it gives avoid instead of a combat stat?

The push skills modify stats, not battle stats. Prebattle calc loop skills modify battle stats. Maybe you want something like Vigilance?

If you want it to be at full hp only, add a couple lines to check that.

ldrb r0,[r4, #0x12]
ldrb r1,[r4,#0x13]
cmp r1,r0
bne GoBack
1 Like

Question. Do Desperation and Assassinate take effect ONLY if you would double normally, like Desperation does in 3H? Or do they make it so that you ALWAYS double if they’re active, like Quick Riposte does?

Only if you were going to double to begin with.

3 Likes