[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

There’s something wrong with the skill scrolls in the current version of the skill system (v1.2.1). If you send a skill scroll to the convoy, save and close the game, then boot up the game and load your save, the scroll will be of a different skill altogether. I noticed this issue when I sent a scroll with the skill ID 9C to the convoy, and upon restarting the game, it had become skill ID 1C.

This is a known issue and Vesly already has a fix for it in Pokemblem that needs integrated still; for the time being, any skill with an ID of 0x7F or below should work properly

2 Likes

Hey, I checked fire emblem 8 with skills on FEbuilder and I noticed that from 8B to FE everything looks like it’s corrupted, there isn’t any descriptions on it, only the name of the skill, what’s up with that ?

If you mean the patch in the OP, it’s old enough that those skills don’t exist. If you just want to play FE8 with skills, GitHub releases each contain an FE8 with skills patch from the time of the release, but if you’re after a project base, .ups patches are not a supported or recommended installation method.

Nihil does not work as a passive skill. At least on the current version of SkillSystems on FEBuilderGBA. If it’s on an item or a weapon it doesn’t negate any enemy effects. If it’s on a unit it works as intended though.

1 Like

NIhil works correctly on items and weapons on master. FEBuilder skill system issues should be directed to FEBuilder’s thread.

1 Like

I first mentioned it in the FEBuilder Discord and they told me to post here XD

Hey, I’ve reached chapter 6 Victins of war and for some reason all of my units have +X or -X

Can anyone help me here ?

Usually this happens when you load too many units in the same unit group. I was under the impression this was already fixed on master, so maybe you’re using an outdated version? Regardless, 15 is a safe number of units, so break up your unit groups and this won’t happen.

Where do I check unit groups ?

Is the skill “Great Shield” completely equivalent to (“Pavise” + “Aegis”) (aside from the different activation method) or there are cases covered by (“Pavise” + “Aegis”) that are not covered by “Great Shield”? (Let’s consider the case of 100% skill activation)

They are pretty much the same

@Alice: Thanks for the answer! I ended up testing this myself and yes, they’re the same. Both (“Pavise” + “Aegis”) and “Great Shield” (assuming 100% activation rate) prevent all damage from both Physical and Magical damage, but neither of them stops status effects. (like “Sleep”, “Silence”, etc.)

By the way, does anybody know what happens if you already have 6 active skills (1 personal, 1 from the class and 4 learnt) and you equip a weapon which has an inherent skill active? Are All 7 skills still active? Is the weapon skill ignored? Does the weapon skill preempt one of the other 6 skills?

You still get the skill’s effect.
You can technically have 11 skills active at once:

• 1 personal skill.
  • 1 class skill.
  • 4 learned akills.
  • 5 item skills (5 passives or 1 equipped and 4 passives).

Though item skills don’t show up on the stats screen.

@Contro: Thanks for the info, that’s very useful to know!

Ah, regarding the difference between passive and active skill, is there actually some data to set to make them either active or passive, or does that depend only on whether the item (weapon or not) is actually equipped? To put it in another way, if I give a weapon a skill, without setting any particular flag, is the skill always active on the character that has the weapon on his inventory, regardless of the fact that he equipped it or not?

The passive boosts item bitflag sets an item to grant a skill as long as it’s in your inventory.
If it’s not set for an item, the item would need to be equipped for the skill to apply.

Ok and that’s the same flag used to have the item passively apply stat boosts? If I remember correctly (can’t check now) the description of that flag talked only about stat boosts, but it affects item skills too?

Correct.

Ok, thanks again for the explanation!

Also, you should keep in mind that activation skills have a certain priority. The higher they are in the skills list, the higher priority they are. You can change this order with a custom build. And some skills can activate within others, but others can’t.

For example, If you have 100% rate for adept and Aether, and Adept is higher, Adept will always activate, but Aether won’t.

And Sure Shot can activate during Astra, but not during Adept