FE8 Skill Ideas

Well first off I’m planning on setting the max skill count at either 4 or 5 due to balance and RAM restrictions and the size of the screen. The icons are 16x16 so even if I literally put them next to each other, how the hell are you going to fit 12 of those there? Unless I do rows which would be awful for everything. Besides this was more of a demonstration to show that I actually got icons drawn to the screen and r-button info mapped to the skills.

Also as I’ve said many times before, to you and others, Ashera, fuuuuuuuck the split.

I like the way 24x24 icons look

2 Likes

I concur

only downside is, with 24x24 I can’t do rows.

I think they look kinda stupidly oversized, myself. They fit well and the gaps are consistent but compared to the size of everything but the portrait, they seem supermassive.

Well everything else is 16x16 and they’re not even full 16x16(transparent borders and the like) so 24x24 is also twice as big as most icons but idk I don’t think the 16x16 ones are expressive enough(although they are easier to load) and you have to put a certain number up for the space to not feel empty. If you check out my SF sig, 8 16x16 skill icons placed side by side with no gaps don’t even cover the length of the page let alone the height. I’d say those 16x16 ones are better really only if you need more than 5 skills displayed; if I incorporate more row idea I could display about 2 maybe even 3 rows of 8~10 skills depending on how many you can jam in there.

Unfortunately for me, since I’m planning on a public patch, I’m not sure which route to take as far as how big the icons should be, where they should be placed, spacing and a whole bunch of either details that everyone has their own personal preferences on and those aren’t the types of parameters that can be easily user-changed. I may end up putting a poll up to gauge people’s opinion on how the display should work. I actually had an idea before while I was talking to GabrielKnight that I could put weapon ranks at the bottom of page 1 and put skills on page 3. With something like this there is no right or wrong answer unlike most hacks so I do value everyone’s input :smile:

So are there technical restrictions or not? Because, if there are, that pretty much decides a lot of stuff for you.

For the display it’s literally how much space I have available on the screen, but actually storing all of the skills in RAM will probably be tricky

Like I said, there too many unique preferences to make a patch for what everyone wants so my simple solution was going to be to do a public poll and make patches for the popular choices

Where are skills stored (i.e. can they be saved on a per-unit basis)? Can they be taught to units?

Glad to see that you have solved the display problem. (Yeah I only found it just now.)

IMO the skills can be divided into 3 kinds: personal skill, class skill and weapon skill. What’s more, having too many skills on one unit is IMBA so I think it is best to equip only 5 personal skills once like awakening. No doubt it will bring a new pleasure to the old game to obtain new skills and combine skills freely.

Additionally don’t try to make the skill called Shooting Star Sw or Astra, it will break on GBA.

…He already made it though.

What!? Is there any glitch?As far as I know, the game will encounter a glitch with a combination of Astra and brave weapons.

The game was being difficult at first but I beat the shit out of it and took it’s lunch money so now there are no more problems

1 Like

in other words, rewrote how it determines brave and repointed the battle buffer. Right?

you got the latter part right, but Astra and Adept have nothing to do the Brave weapon code

Just assumed that was done based on the comment that Astra didn’t play nice with brave.

Edit: I think I know why it might not have; you just need to insert the code in the right place, however.

Did I say that?

No, Misaka did.