[FE8] Sacred Echoes [v1.1] [COMPLETE]

You’re gonna use a US FE8 ROM don’t ask where to get one. and the patcher that you can use is call NUPS. If you search the forums you can find it.

I don’t know if there are any callbacks to gaiden features, as I haven’t played gaiden in full, but so far the hack has changed (and improved) the map design of most, if not all, of the chapters thus far, and promises to change more as work goes on. Weapon arts aren’t a thing in this hack, and gamma has said that they likely won’t be a thing ever. The weapon triangle exists so long as one of the units is wielding an actual weapon (As in iron sword, as opposed to just attacking with sword). Even if only one of the units has an actual weapon, as in Alm wields sword versus a cavalier with an iron lance, the enemy will get the boosts of weapon triangle advantage, while Alm won’t suffer any losses in hit or damage. New supports are planned to be added, and some have been written already (I think). Finally, thieves are a thing in this hack, and therefore there are chests, which can either be unlocked by thieves or with buy able keys.

Welp, it’s definitely faithful to Gaiden lol

16 Likes

In anticipation of Gaiden’s 28th anniversary, I am proud to announce Version 1.0 of Sacred Echoes. This covers 18 maps and all of Act 1 and 2.

The patch adds the remaining Celica Mode maps, an Echoes-style support system with some actual support conversations finished, merges White Magic into one rank, fixes a few bugs relating to items, skirmishes and repeatable maps, and reworks the Weapon Triangle to include one-sided bonuses.

Please note that you should use a clean save file when playing the new patch, as some memory values have changed (namely White Magic ranks).

Please check the OP for the patch link and latest credits list!

31 Likes

As soon as I heard this was out, and that tomorrow was gaiden’s anniversary, I had to give this current version a spin.
I’m as of this writing only half way or so through act 1, but this hack is filled with so much love for Echoes and Gaiden, with so many amazing details both in what was kept and even what was changed.
Nothing will replace SoV for me per say, but if the entirety of the complete project is as good and as loving as this release, then it will be a worthy adaptation alongside the likes of the original manga and novel, worth experiencing in it’s own right.
So anyway, #Just Play Gaiden Bro

(The above vod is my first experiences with Act 1, with limited review and some additional commentary from known community members in the chat.)

9 Likes

Second Vod. This time I competed Act 1 and started on the first 3 or so maps of act 2.

The Forsythe is the greatest weapon in all of Fire Emblem, rivaled only by the steel blade.

I continued to have a great time, but I do want to report one significant glitch. In Act 1 Endgame, when collecting the ridersbane with a full inventory, sending it to the convoy deleted it from the game entirely. Otherwise, I’ve encountered no major glitches so far.

6 Likes

Third and final vod. Act 2 completed!

The current release of Act 2 is less polished than Act 1, but I still very much enjoyed it! Shoutouts to hand axe Valbar(!!!) and Mae and Boey’s pallets in particular.

The following is a list of small glitches or things I otherwise noted:

• Enemy thieves can steal my hard earned stuff, and without Acantha there’s no way to get them back. Could be intended, but was a little annoying.

• Seabound Shrine is probably the worst map in the hack, due to a handful of factors. The Necrodragon is too powerful, and has massive regenerating health, meaning only Celica can do meaningful damage to it, and it will take her anywhere from 3-4 Seraphims to defeat it. The mila shrine, which if I’m correct is the only one available in part 2, is nearly impossible to reach because of enemy placement and the defeat enemies objective. This means my units were unable to promote during the entire duration of Act 2. I think this is the only map in the hack that needs a major rework.

• The magic triangle is a little funky. Some spells, like miasma and seraphim, still receive weapon triangle effects, while other spells, like fire and nosferatu, do not. Likely just an oversight.

• The stats of a handful of later enemies are perhaps too high. I already mentioned the necrodragon, but also the boat witch and the boss of the final map were difficult to defeat with any non-celica unit.

6 Likes
Thing I found while looking through who can support with who

Sees that Alm’s route now has a non villager!merc
wow

Besides that, the Act 2!Necrodragon needs to see a fucking nerf of some kind. Whether it be a speed nerf, a def nerf, or moving the holy ring somewhere else (highly doubt you’re gonna do that though.) I find literally having to find Mila States on the map to promote to be both a pretty big brain thing and a very cumbersome thing (imagine trying to get Atlas to promote for example.)

Also, buff Forsyth’s base level.
kthnx

Couple of bugs to report, found in a stream:

The mage in this clip was working fine, and then on Enemy Phase, it bugged out.

Also, is this next one an engine check to prevent a crash or something when a unit using magic would deplete their HP to 0 during combat? Or simply a bug with the Spell System?

I’ve got a hotfix coming out shortly that’ll address those. The necrodragon’s also getting a nerf, plus some easier access to Mila statues in Celica route, as well as some nice new visual effects with support gains.

1 Like

Hotfix patch has been added to the dropbox, please replace your old version (20200314) with the new (20200317)

• Adds heart bubbles when units gain support points (by healing each other or by defeating an enemy within 2 tiles of each other)
  • Buffs cantor zombies, nerfs necrodragon
  • Seabound Shrine is generally less of a pain to navigate
  • There is a Mila shrine in the Novis Cemetery now
  • Enemies cannot initiate combat with magic if they don’t have the HP to cast it
  • Fix bug with enemies casting spells they don’t have the HP for
  • Minor support text fixes
  • A certain somebody now has support data… :slight_smile:

The readme’s also been updated with promotion levels and spell lists, since there are some minor differences from SoV.

11 Likes

Hey Gamma, does this break saves? Changes look great.

I have only played a bit of the hack but I just wanted to say “Great Job” :+1: :+1:

I could never get into the DS/3DS Fire Emblem Games but have always wanted to try them on GBA.

I like that you kept the different changes as compared to the traditional Fire Emblem GBA games. It makes for a whole new experience.

2020-03-17 shouldn’t break saves from 2020-03-14, no. Only difference is certain characters may be missing support ranks with a certain party member if you’re using an 03-14 save.

Saves from any 2019 patch may break if used with either of the 2020 patches (particularly with characters who use White Magic).

2 Likes

Great. I’m on the most recent one prior to this, so I should be good. Thanks!

1 Like

One final hotfix patch is out, please replace any other 2020 patch you might have with the latest version (20200318). Check the Dropbox link in the OP to download.

• Fixes a memory leak in the AP pool which causes map sprites to start disappearing when too many heart bubbles are shown in a session.
  • Fixes a blackscreen in the first Celica map when starting the chapter from a fresh bootup of the GBA.
3 Likes

I encountered a game-breaking error. On the Chapter: The Usurper, I can’t move to the next chapter with the castle that shows up on the map. When I put my cursor over the castle, the side menu shows up but I can’t click the castle to start the chapter. I can still play all the repeatable chapters that I have cleared, though.

Any help would be appreciated.

You need to play the Deliverance Hideout before you can access the castle. Move the cursor to the map point above Alm to play it.

3 Likes

It worked. Thanks alot.

The game freezes when trying to promote Lukas in a repeatable encounter in the first Mila Shrine during act 1.