[FE8] Sacred Echoes [v1.1] [COMPLETE]

Okay then, I’ve played through you have to offer. I won’t talk about what’s good, it’s the Gaiden we all know and love but with actually not terrible maps. That’s great.

But to make the project even better I must offer some criticism.

1. Thieves are useless. They are weak and their utility is shared with the main characters that need no lockpicks. The thieves can’t even steal properly!
    I’m not going to lie, it was a theoretically good idea (especially changing Jesse’s class) bit needs some changes. As it stands now, I never felt like I even need to use them.

2. I don’t know if it’s a bug or a planned feature (I hope not), but in the forest shrine there are infinite gargoyle reinforcements. I have no idea why it’s the case, it’s frankly pretty dumb. Good target practice for archers, though.

3. Kliff’s supports assumes you promoted him into a mage despite not being forced to. It felt weird hearing an archer talk how he loves studying magic.

I think that’s all. My main issue is with the apparent uselessness of thieves. Of course the balance is non-existent but it’s Gaiden we’re speaking of, so dread fighters will be OP as all hell, don’t change that.

1 Like

Kliff’s entire background is magic related and he can learn the most amount of magic skills. It’s not assuming he’s a mage, it’s referencing his entire character.

4 Likes

Still, people ask him for tutoring and stuff, it should be at least a little rewritten.

I’m not sure what you mean by “can’t even steal properly”, they do have the ability (you can use it to get desaix’s dracoshield without too much fuss), there’s just not much that there is to steal. Alm’s side has maps where dragging Alm all the way from the chests to the seize point would be pretty tedious, so I think Acantha justifies herself there.

That’s literally what I meant. There’s nothing of value to steal.
IDK, give them the ability to steal unequiped weapons or something. Give them ANY niche to fill.

I know where you’re coming from but I beg to disagree. Maps with loot are more straight-lined and less tedious because of them.

Thieves are suppose to be a non-combat unit so yeah, they should be weak. But I agree that they may need some tweaks like: make them more speed-centric so at least they can’t be doubled by anything and can be dodge tanks (although idk if FE AI can actually target units that could theoretically die if they get hit but have high avoid). Right now they stand as sh*tty Dread Fighters with a caveat.

Pretty sure they can steal drops.

Can I use some of the music from this hack? I’ll provide credit, of course.

If it’s not an original composition of mine (there’s only one and it’s only in the soundroom, so I assume you didn’t mean that one), I’m perfectly fine with sharing it.

I’ve made some improvements to some of the tracks since the most recent public release, though, so if there are any specific tracks you want, please DM me and I’ll send you the most up-to-date version.

1 Like

For now I just want the general Gaiden battle theme, but I will be looking out for Duma’s battle theme (not Twilight of the Gods, his actual battle theme) when you get around to Act 5.

If I recall correctly, the general gaiden attack theme is also used in FE8 as the arena theme. Unless you are talking about a different song from Sacred Echoes :thinking:

If I’m not misremembering, the normal battle theme is the same as the arena theme from FE8, you could just reuse that, I think it’s called “In the Colosseum”

You’re both right. Completely slipped my mind. Well I’ll be looking for that Duma theme eventually anyway, so I’m glad I brought it up.

3 Likes

HyperGammaSpaces, I don’t know if you are doing this project in the standalone style or if you have a team, but I must say that this project is perfect.
The difficult is balanced, without the MOVE YOUR UNITS PERFECTLY OR THEY WILL DIE and the MOVE EVERYWHERE IT’S FINE.
The lore is beautiful (since it’s echoes, :v)
The mechanics and gameplay are innovative (to the GBA) and fit the game perfectly.
And your game gave me will to actually play the Echoes in the 3DS.
Keep this style and work, and I’m sure this project will always head the right direction.

I also spotted some bugs, can I send them in dm?

8 Likes

Been trying to get myself to wait before playing this, but its getting harder by the day. Great work so far, I’ve been keeping an eye on this you’re killing it. :+1:

1 Like

I wish the music was available on YouTube or something. It’s so good that I want to hear it outside the game itself.

Glad you like it! We plan to release the soundtrack upon the game’s completion. (Reason being, between each patch I often go back and make edits to existing tracks, so I want to make sure they’re in a state where I won’t be going “wait guys can you reupload it a third time, i fixed the drumkit again”) :tired_face:

The next patch will additionally include 7743’s port of ipatix’s recent improvements to the sound engine used in GBAFE, so this will also bring some quality improvements to how it sounds in-game. I’ve even found myself leaving the game open in mGBA at the sound room to serve as background music from time to time, so that may be a way to tide you over until the full soundtrack upload.

Is this masterpiece complete?

No, not yet. You can play it up until act 3 currently, though, and acts 4 and 5 will come eventually. A completed hack would generally be marked by having “[COMPLETE]” in the title or something similar to that.

Personally glad that this is available in Spanish too, as a Mexican ¡Muchas gracias!

Is there any plans to complete this game? It’s looking pretty good right now.

Yes I’m pretty sure gamma intends to finish the project.