[FE8] Project Jade -- A Sacred Stones Overhaul [2.0 UPDATE!]

project jade.emulator-64

Project Jade is an overhaul of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I’ve always had a soft spot for The Sacred Stones, despite its reputation as one of the easier games in the franchise. This hack started as a personal project where you get to play through both Eirika and Ephraim’s stories in the same campaign, and quickly spiraled out of control into the behemoth that it ended up becoming.

Taking inspiration from other Sacred Stones hacks like Princess’ Lament, Sacred Trilogy, and Sacred War, Project Jade seeks to give the player the Sacred Stones experience with a few twists.

Download Link (v2.12)

(Apply to a clean FE8U ROM)

Changelog

8/2/2024

• Edited a pallette for Ethan

8/3/2024

• Fixed an error where Soldiers (and as I noticed also, Sword Cavs) couldn’t promote
  • Upped the Mt of the Arcane dagger because basically none of the knife-wielding classes have a magic stat lol
  • Fixed an error where Soldiers and Sword Cavs can’t promote
  • Added an event to the end of Phantom Ship to recruit Bonez even if he is the last enemy killed. (there is now a visual bug where the map reappears for a second before the chapter ends. Not sure why this is happening but it doesn’t affect anything.)
  • Added the intended promo bonuses for Gargoyles

8/4/2024

• Buffed Glen’s Def, Spd, and Luck bases to give him a bit more survivability on his join map
  • Fixed an error where Glen’s post-chapter recruitment convo plays twice if Cormag is alive
  • Fixed some enemies in Chapters 25 and 26 that were holding weapons they couldn’t use
  • Changed the Falcoknight battle sprites to be more consistent with the staff sprites
  • Messed with Support thresholds to make supports that only meet when the routes converge easier to obtain
  • Added a support (no conversation yet) between Tana and Harvey
  • Changed the Berserker animation
  • Added a custom battle animations for
    • Tana (Pegasus Knight)
    • Innes (Sniper)
    • Neimi (Sniper)
    • Joshua (Swordmaster) (updated)
    • Marisa (Swordmaster)
    • Ahab (Berserker)
    • Joshua (Hero) (I gave him his lil hat)
  • Edited Selena’s Character ending to appear in-line
  • Slightly reduced the difficulty of Chapter 20: Fluorspar’s Oath on Maddening
  • Added a droppable chest key in Chapter 21: Queen of White Dunes
  • Fixed a glitch that caused the game to freeze when Sniper Neimi battles at 1 range

8/5/2024

• Edited Selena’s Character ending to appear in-line
  • Slightly reduced the difficulty of Chapter 20: Fluorspar’s Oath on Maddening
  • Added a droppable chest key in Chapter 21: Queen of White Dunes
  • Fixed a glitch that caused the game to freeze when Sniper Neimi battles at 1 range
  • Changed enemy Halberdiers to soldiers in Chapter 22: Father and Son
  • Added the sword animation for Valkyries that I forgot
  • Fixed L’Arachel’s Paladin palettes.
  • Buffed Lyra
  • Changed Garcia into a Level 1 Warrior with slightly improved stats
  • Increased Harvey’s base Con
  • Buffed Eddie
  • Buffed Ahab
  • Added a short haired sprite for Neimi in Archer class
  • Changed Neimi’s promotion to the male Ranger class because it has short hair lol
  • Removed some of the stairs in Paralogue 3, added some Siege tome sages on Maddening mode
  • Added a custom animation for Tana in Wyvern Knight class
  • Fixed an error where Eirika promotes to the wrong class ID, making her no longer learn skills and not have access to light magic
  • Buffed Eirika’s magic growths
  • Changed the weight of mostly every tome
  • Changed some of the stats of Helios’s Lazarus tome.
  • Changed Bonez to a generic enemy. He still spawns when you defeat him and joins your party, but it’s less obvious that he’s a recruitable character now, to avoid confusion
  • Changed Lute’s druid palette
  • Changed Lyra from a Level 6 Shaman to a Level 1 Druid
  • Changed Lyra’s personal skill to Prescience to mirror Saleh’s
  • Changed Knoll’s personal skill from Prescience to Foresight
  • Added a dark tome called Dark Spikes. It is effective against cavalry and can only be used by Druids. It is in Lyra’s starting inventory.
  • Played around with a lot of skills. Changes include
    • Eirika T2 now learns Luna at Lv 5 and Swordfaire at Lv 15
    • Ephraim T2 now learns Sol at Lv 5 and Lancefaire at Lv 15
    • Seth (Silver Knight) now learns Sol at Lv 10
    • Seth (Brave Knight) now learns Blue Flame at Lv 5, Double Lion at Lv 15
    • Journeyman now learns Blue Flame at Lv 10
    • General’s class skill is now Pavise
    • Wyvern Lords now learn Death Blow at Lv 5, Bowbreaker at Lv 15
    • Wyvern Knights now learn Lunge at Lv 5, Savage Blow at Lv 15
  • Eirika and Ephraim now learn Aether after Chapter 28: Last Hope
  • Duessel now has a forced promotion after Chapter 22: Father and Son. If he has not already learned Luna by this point (Lv 10), he will learn it upon promotion. He also gets another Prf Axe that gives him Pavise.

8/6/2024

• Fixed an error in Chapter 10 where Eirika and Ephraim’s talk event doesn’t give HP like it should
  • Added a new portrait for Eirika, Ephraim, and Duessel that changes on promotion.
  • Fixed Neimi’s palette
  • Added a little convo in Last Hope for if Tana dies during the chapter, but you’re playing on Casual Mode lol
  • Fixed a typo in Prologue (I guarantee there will be lots of these lol)
  • Added an item called the Wyvern Stone that Cormag gives to Artur after their A support.

8/8/2024

• Eirika now starts with an Iron Sword in her inventory
  • Fixed an error where Griffon Knights don’t count as a flying class for effectiveness.
  • Seth and Duessel are now their original classes from vanilla FE8, because of their later on promotions
  • Syrene now starts as a level 16 Pegasus Knight with an Elysian Whip. She gets a promotion in Chapter 26: River of Regrets to Seraph Knight.
  • Added Staff and Magic animations for Seraph Knight
  • Several characters have been given leadership stars
  • Added an alt portrait for Syrene when she promotes to Seraph Knight
  • Added several new portraits for certain characters when they promote
  • Changed Mason’s portrait to a new original one
  • Short bow price has been reduced

8/9/2024

• Edited Chapter 19: Hamill Canyon. The chapter no longer ends upon killing Aias. You have to either survive the full 11 turns, or defeat both Aias and Pablo.
  • Changed some battle animations
  • Fixed some palettes
  • Changed the stat caps of Brave Knight, Eclipse Knight, and Seraph Knight
  • Added axe animation and axe weapon level for Bonez’ Wight class
  • Added a Radiant Bow item to the secret shop in Father and Son

8/12/2024

• Edited Artemis’s palette
  • Changed Lyra’s description, also her weapon levels
  • Buffed Deema’s bases
  • Buffed Selena’s bases and gave her a Prf weapon
  • Added a promotion for Glen and Selena that happens after the Paralogue if both of them and Duessel survive
  • Removed a lot of the 2-range magical weapons from shops, they are now limited enemy drops.
  • Added a Short Axe item
  • Changed around a couple shops, added the Change Preparation Shop by Chapter patch and fixed an error where the shop doesn’t appear on some chapters
  • Added an “Arcane Amulet” item that boosts mag by 4 but sets Luck to 0, it starts in Knoll’s inventory
  • Fixed the error that caused players to be sent back to Chapter 25 upon clearing Chapter 26
  • Added Canto to Glen and Selena’s new classes because I forgor, also gave them Sol and Luna respectively

8/15/2024

• Fixed an error where Innes can promote infinitely by restarting Ch 19
  • Added a couple more portraits for characters in certain classes

8/25/2024

• Oh my god so much so many changes good lord

9/19/2024

• Fixed an issue with some chests in Paralogue-3
  • Fixed an issue with Knoll vanishing from the party for Scorched Sand

2.0 Changes

2.0 changes
  • Reworked skills, both personal and class skills, for better balance
  • Innes and Joshua both get story-based promotions
  • Added a new chapter, Chapter 24: Siege in Shadow, which takes place after Unwelcome Diversion and before Scorched Sand.
  • Scorched Sand is now an Ephraim chapter, where all of Eirika’s units deployed in Siege in Shadow are force-deployed at the start of the map.
  • Paralogue-3 is completely reworked, with a new map and objectives
  • Paralogue-5 now force-deploys all units deployed in the last map, similar to the final map with Fomortiis
  • Fixed several bugs and mistakes, including the Demon King HP underflow glitch
  • Finished writing all of the current supports. I am considering adding a few more, but…not right now lol

Thanks to @HouseHawk for the help balancing the skills!
Note: This updated version of the game will not work with old saves. Or, it might, but it will cause a lot of issues. If you’re currently in the middle of a playthrough, I would recommend finishing that one first. The older versions of the patch are still available in the Google Drive folder

Features
  • A full, 30-chapter campaign, alternating between Eirika and Ephraim maps
  • Two brand new chapters in the main campaign, and a new 5-chapter paralogue
  • A route split with pre-determined split armies
  • 15 new playable characters in the main campaign, and 2 new playable characters unlocked via the paralogue
  • Each character has a (mostly) unique personal skill, and each class learns new skills upon leveling up
  • A new difficulty option, Maddening, has been added. This mode considerably buffs enemy stats, adds new enemies, changes certain enemy’s AIs, and overall provides a more challenging experience.
  • QOL upgrades such as HP bars, viewing growths, danger zone toggle (Select), etc.
Screenshots

project jade.emulator-65project jade.emulator-63project jade.emulator-61project jade.emulator-57project jade.emulator-24project jade.emulator-67project jade.emulator-70Project Jade 2-0.emulator-1project jade skill revision.emulator-19project jade.emulator-75project jade skill revision.emulator-3

Gameplay Notes/Tips
  • New classes, including some unique classes for characters such as Seth, Duessel, and Syrene
  • Three-branch promotion options for every Tier 1 class
  • Modern growth formula (personal growths+class growths) to allow for further unit customization
  • Some maps have been revamped and changed, new objectives added, and some chapter objectives have been reworked
  • Due to the route split, there is no traversable world map, so all inventory management and shopping has to be done in battle preps or on the map, similar to FE6 and FE7.
  • Secrets galore! Several conversations have been added, and many conversations from the base game now have added effects, such as items or stat boosts a la FE4. Most of the early game maps also have secrets hidden on them.
  • Recruitable enemy characters now gain Hard Mode bonuses on Maddening. They’ve been given a flat stat increase based on five extra levels, but there’s no variation, so their stats will always be the same
  • Supports now work similarly to the Tellius games, where you earn support points simply by being deployed together on a map. So no more support grinding!
  • Similarly, you can have up to 5 support partners, rather than only 5 support conversations
  • Some supports also have bonuses attached to them, like items or stat boosts
  • Skills are learned by trainees at Level 10, unpromoted classes at Level 1 and Level 10, promoted classes and Lords at Level 5 and 15, and unique classes at level 1, 5, 10, and 15
Known Bugs/Glitches

Most of the bugs I’ve encountered have been worked out, but there’s still a couple I can’t figure out/haven’t gotten around to fixing:

• There are some visual glitches occasionally, particularly during cutscenes when a background clears.
  • Sometimes dialogue speech bubbles are too long, though all dialogue should be visible
  • In Chapter 16: Village of Silence, Ewan has a possible on-map promotion event should be reach Level 10. This causes some visual and audio glitches, such as Lyra’s sprite glitching out and the promotion music continuing to play. These glitches clear as soon as an action is taken.
Things to Finish
  • Finish writing the supports for new characters
  • Go through the vanilla supports and see if there are any that would be good to include special events
  • Finish balancing Maddening mode (I’ve played it through myself up to Chapter 24)

Resource Document

(Includes growth rates, skill info, promo paths and bonuses, recruitment information, and secrets)

Google Drive Project Folder

(Includes the patch, credits, and resource doc, will be updated when new releases come out)

Please let me know if you find any issues, glitches, balancing problems, etc! And please excuse any formatting errors in this post, I’m new to this! I also tried to be as extensive as I could with my credits, but if you notice something is missing, let me know and I’ll add it!

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me, darkjaden825698 on discord.

Credits Doc

28 Likes

Well, hell. Color me interested. All of this sounds pretty good, but what sold me on it was Edderick. He looks cool.

3 Likes

Eddie’s portrait is from the repo, so I can’t take credit for his design, but his character was written by me, and I’m pretty happy with how he turns out haha. Hope you enjoy it! Let me know if you have any feedback or questions or anything :smiley:

1 Like

Well this is a nice surprise. You had me at being inspired by Scared Trilogy. I’ll give this a try.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good one, may give it a try !

Alright alright, I’ll play it! Just… please don’t kill HIM again. I’m not ready for that.

Edit:

Oh. Well, how is that going? It may be stupid to ask since this thread is 8h old, but I lose nothing by asking.

3 Likes

Gotta say, REALLY enjoying this so far. Love a lot of the custom palette’s and animations for both the vanilla cast (Seth’s animation MMM chefs kiss) and the new characters added. The nebbies, so far, don’t feel out of play. Quick question, can unit S multiple ranks or is it only one like in vanilla?

1 Like

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! Yeah, only one S rank like in vanilla.

You will not be disappointed hahaha. He’s one of my favorite characters so of course I wouldn’t kill him. In fact, he gets a unique class and a promotion at the same time as the lords lol.

Lol, yeah I haven’t done anything yet. As of this first release, characters that have supports are:

Characters with supports written
  • Kirin and Marty
  • Kirin and Mason
  • Kirin and Gilliam
  • Ahab and Marty
  • Glen and Cormag
  • Selena and Myrrh (up to B)
  • Selena and Helios
  • Fado and Seth
  • Andrew and Franz (C Support)
  • Lute and Bonez
  • Ahab and Vera (C Support)

I plan on finishing the rest of them…eventually lol.

Okay, I get the message :rofl:. I won’t wait then.

1 Like

lol I’ve been steadily working on them, there’s just a lot to get through lol

Looks great! :smiley: I’ll have to give it a try sometime soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally!

Spoiler

We don’t need to kill Selena.

Thank you, friend!

2 Likes

Sadz but understandable. Welp guess Druid Lute is going to be my dark S ranker.

1 Like

Weeeeellll…yes and no :stuck_out_tongue: lol

Is there some kind of trick? I guess, i will understand when i get there. Having fun so far, btw!

1 Like

If you’re curious:

Spoilers

Selena is tied to the optional Paralogue near the end of the game. To unlock it and make her playable, you have to do the following:

• Talk to Selena with Ephraim in Chapter 20: Fluorspar’s Oath
  • Recruit Glen in Chapter 26: River of Regrets
  • At the end of Chapter 28: Last Hope, if both Glen and Duessel are alive and recruited, you will unlock the Paralogue, as evidenced by a cutscene of Selena riding into Rausten Keep and collapsing before the chapter ends. She becomes playable at the start of the Paralogue.

If you’re doing a full-recruitment non-Ironman run you should be fine. Just pay attention during Fluorspar’s Oath. :smiling_imp:

Glad you’re enjoying it! :smiley:

3 Likes

Found something odd. At the Revolt at Carcino chapter and Colm can’t enter the arena. Game is treating him like a cleric/priest saying he can’t fight.

Ah, it’s probably because thieves don’t have any actual weapon ranks, since they can only use daggers.

2 Likes

Ohhhh! That actually makes a lot of sense. Never mind then.