[FE8] On the Edge [5* Chapters] [COMPLETE] [GONE WRONG] [NOT CLICKBAIT]

While you were all busy talking about “good design”, “class balance”, or “please for the love of god don’t make maps where you only control one unit”, I studied the blade. And I’ve come to teach you all I’ve learned.

Features of this radical hack
  • Over the top swordmaster action
  • Skills
  • New classes
  • New weapons
  • No weapon triangle
  • A focus on weapons and matchups nonetheless
  • Also pretty much everyone has 0 in all stats, should have started there
  • Epic swordmaster action
  • Very serious, dramatic, dark, compeling story
  • Cool swords
  • Open ended, puzzlelike gameplay
  • Edgy swordmasters being edgy swordmasters
  • A number of layers of irony I lost track of
  • Autosaves every turn
  • A single playable unit
  • Five chapters, give or take
  • Jokes
  • 1vs1 in Fire Emblem
Pictures that will blow your mind

Credits (Spoilers)

Music:
His World - SurfingKyogre
At DOOM’s Gate (The one in Prologue) - Sme
Venom’s Theme (The one in Courtyard) - Meat of Justice
Chaos Angel Act 1 (The one in Stairs) - Meat of Justice
Oblivion’s Joy (The one in Overlook) - Psyche
Song that may play when you fight Sans (The one in the secret chapter) - Sme
On the Edge - KrashBoomBang

Portraits:
Quad Retz - Zorura
Mr. Raffurens - BuskHusker, CranJam
Alguien - Uses Character Creator as a base

Status Screen Background - Kirb_1

Classcards:
Angel - N426

Main Menu Background - Fenreir

Tilesets:
Improved Castle Tileset - N426
Village v2 Tileset - flasuban, N426, ZoramineFae, Venno

Animations:
Female Swordmaster - Greentea
Protagonist - Redbean
Knight - SALVAGED
Ninja - Pikmin and Der
Gold Knight - Nuramon

Map sprites:
Knight - Salvaged
The other knight sprite that’s used in Overlook - Agro
Swordmemer - N426
Ninja - Der
Gold Knight - Hypergammaspaces

All that weird shit in the Rom that’s not actually used in the hack:
Please ignore all that! I’m lazy and stupid and reusing my Rom from other project.

-------------->Download the Patch Here <------------
Tier List Maker

38 Likes

I laughed, I cried, I died. Highly recommend this hack, a really unique experience that pushes what a fire emblem hack can be. 11/10.

9 Likes

The world’s first lose inspired hack.
Don’t miss it.

8 Likes

This hack is truly peak.

3 Likes

There are entire games, vanilla and romhack alike, inferior to the mere tutorial of this piece of art. Don’t miss out, or you’ll be missing in too.

Possible unironic bug?

EDIT: are these guys supposed to have 0 DEF?

4 Likes

Played the tutorial and cut myself on all the edge. Played the first turn of the next chapter and Nekhbet proceeded to do the same.

This hack will go down in the annals of history.

5 Likes

Really interesting concept, excellent jokes, and well thought out puzzles: what’s not to love? Played this with a group of friends in discord and we all loved it. The tutorial is really good, and the later maps threw in enough unique twists that the game never felt stale. Map 4 is probably the weakest one, obviously the map is built around clever use of killing intent, but I found myself almost never using it. The strongest one is probably the finale, it took us about an hour to figure out what to do for the second bit alone, and we were all cheering when we won. My only minor gripe is that I wish there were more tools like lunge that you got access to in maps 2-4. There’s not a lot of progression, intentionally so, but it still feels weird.

I eagerly await the sequel

1 Like

A joke hack that doesn’t seem to just spam ancient memes? Sign me up.

Made a few fixes and minor updates, including the armor issue mentioned above.
That said, there’s two known major bugs I should mention. There’s the black screens that happen when resuming after a game over, wich I’ve been told is a skillsys issue so it will be more of a hassle to fix. For now resuming after reseting the game has no issues. Explaining the second bug has minor endgame spoilers, so…

Spoilers

Opening the chest sometimes opens a very bugged convoy. This seems to be unrelated to the event, so for now I have no idea about what’s causing it. The one time I managed to get the bug myself, resetting seemed to fix it, so try that? If anyone figures out something, tell me.

And feel free to check out:
On the Edge Reverse Recruitment
On the Edge 0% Growths
On the Edge No Redundancy
On the Edge Oops all Swordmasters

11 Likes

Base rom fe8?

Yes, as the title says.

Oh it totally does, I was only looking at the post body. Sorry, new to romhack scene!

Fantastic. Loved the “aha” moments that the design led to, especially with Lunge in the mix.

Spoilers

On The Edge-0
I couldn’t figure out how to clear Outlook before the second set of reinforcements arrived so I ended up routing the map. But I think that’s just following canon TBH.

1 Like

what does this mean?

An edit of the game where similar playable units have been fused together, there’s versions for fe6 and fe7 iirc (the joke is the four On the Edge “edits” are still the base game due to it’s nature).

2 Likes

I just finished it and i literally made an account to tell this was very nice exprience! Thanks for making it!
Do you plan a sequel? Ending kinda looked like it planned a sequel… or maybe im reading it wrong since its late where i live and im sleepy…

I m geniually stuck at the final chapter, if i m being honest i don t even know how i finished the last chapter before it,i suddenly did damage to the boss and even routed the map cause i thought it was the right choice to somehow make something happen but i don t really know.

What part are you stuck at? I did probably overtune the last map, but I can try giving some advice/explaining the solution to the early puzzle.

You are welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. There is something planned. It’s just not really a “sequel”, and will be more in line with regular FE gameplay. In fact I started working on it before On the Edge; Nekhbet and the epilogue characters will return, but they are just minor characters.
I have thought a couple times about making another hack with similar mechancis, but as of now I don’t think it will turn into a real project.

at the sorrow sword part

What do do

1-Talk to the kids to “get the key” and be able to open the chest
2-Open the chest, no need for a remaining action
3-Rest is trivial and obvious

Since Wadjet will OHKO u and has high move, you can’t rush to the kids or you’ll get trapped. Instead you’ll have to move back and forth, and when wadjet is far away, first kill the afterimages guarding them, bait wadjet away again, and then go to the kids.