FE8 kaitou patch (All 64 Chapters + 2 village JP/EN)

Glad to hear it worked correctly.
The no$gba debugger Xcept seems to be more reliable than mGBA.

1 Like

Hi chief. Forgive yet another trouble of mine. Also this version does not work on DS console and crashes if I press start or if the demo starts. Maybe I have spotted the problem: once patched with my flashcard software the rom (English version of F.E.Kaitou) exceeds the maximum allowed size of 32Mb (in this case about 32.8Mb). To work on Supercard it should originally be at least 1Mb smaller, and then be patched and inserted into the micro SD. This is just a guess, maybe the problem is something else…
It is a pity that only this one does not work on real hardware, it would be interesting to understand why.
It would be helpful if other users would test it with this or other flashcards.

Kaitou does not exceed 32MB (0x02000000).

32.8Mb

This is because windows explorer calculates 1kb as 1000, not 1024.
Therefore, I don’t think the ROM capacity is a reason for it not working.

I don’t know what the problem is at the moment.
Vanilla also does a lot of dangerous processing such as writing to null and references, so I can’t raise the level of Xcept any higher.
At any rate, in ver 20230328, I fixed two vanilla bugs writing to null.
I also fixed a little bit of string handling.
I don’t think this is why it doesn’t work on the actual device.

1 Like

Blade is too heavy to be used, so I removed Blade and created Mage Killer, InfantryKiller, and Devil Sword.
I don’t know yet if this will work, but I hope it will.

Mage Killer:

InfantryKiller:

Devil Sword:

I’ve received a number of hang-up detections, but I can’t reproduce them in any way.
How did you get the hang-up?

1384	"Kaitou
32750"	"00  Kaitou Comming
Turn:1
Units:2 /Alive:2 /Deploy:2
Mode:Difficulty: Easy  01=Tutorial Mode /Gold:0
Lv1 /01 Estelle /02 Kaitou/09 Rapier @60
Lv1 /02 Lee /1F Wyvern Rider/14 Iron Lance @60
"	ReloadGame

1384	"Kaitou
32750"	"20 Ch4x Great Wall xx
Turn:28261
Units:0 /Alive:0 /Deploy:0
Mode:Difficulty: Normal  2C=??? /Gold:1948282473
"	Hang-up detection
1384	"Kaitou
"	Hang-up detection

1384	"Kaitou
"	Hang-up detection

1384	"Kaitou
32750"	"00  Kaitou Comming
Turn:1
Units:2 /Alive:2 /Deploy:2
Mode:Difficulty: Easy  01=Tutorial Mode /Gold:0
Lv1 /01 Estelle /02 Kaitou/09 Rapier @60
Lv1 /02 Lee /1F Wyvern Rider/14 Iron Lance @60
"	ReloadGame

I used noxplayer to run android on a PC to verify the game operation.
The emulator used was myboy.
It seems to be working.

test environment:
noxplayer:
https://www.bignox.com/

myboy.apk (My Boy! Lite_1.8.0.1)

I didn’t want to give google acount to noxplayer, so I downloaded and installed the apk directly.
The PC is not a touch screen, so it is very difficult to operate, but we were able to check the game operation anyway.

It took a long time, but we were able to conduct an operational test.

Hi chief. Thanks for the clarification, but I had already said it worked with MyBoy!
My problem was about a gba flashcard (or flashcart), specifically the micro-SD Supercard. The latter I use with original hardware, that is to say on slot-2 of a Nintendo DS Lite.
I know it will not be easy for you to verify this fact. However I ask other users if this hacks works on other flashcards, EZ Flash Omega or GBA EverDrive, without problems.

1 Like

I see. So it worked on MyBoy after all.
I had not noticed that.
I thought that because it didn’t work on MyBoy, You tested it on the actual device.

At any rate, the current version works correctly with MyBoy.
The current version even fixes the incorrect memory reference that is also in vanilla, so it seems to work on the actual device.
If it still doesn’t work, I thought the actual device must be more complicated.

1 Like

Buddy, I am pleased to announce that this hack now also works on the following consoles, apparently without any problems (I will have to test them longer later):

1. DS Lite via Supercard micro-SD (slot-2), launched from r4 Gold Pro (slot-1) with custom frame;

2. DSi using GBARunner2 emulator (hicode build) launched from camera-slot with custom firmware (TwilightMenu++).

I thank you for being able to fix it to work in these as well. :wink:
Kudos for the music, really pleasant and engaging. The english text is mostly clear and understandable, but it would be nice to have it corrected by someone fluent in both languages.
Maybe I will say more later… now I run to play it. :smile:

Edit: As early as the second map, the battles are numerous and challenging, with constant reinforcements. Also, if you decide to steal several enemy items (stat boosters) and then use them, as you go, on characters, the fights really go on too long, also because some weapons take away too little HP. After almost an hour, I still haven’t finished this map: Estelle was left unarmed and surrounded by enemies (“police” is surely an inadequate translation), while her companion captured an enemy that I cannot drop anywhere: the “drop” command remains gray.
After all, the gameplay is too exhausting. Sure, you can skip the animations to speed up the action, but it is a shame to do so.

Unfortunately, the english text gets much worse, with confusion between subject and predicate, noun and adjective, and with punctuation and spacing problems. However, the meaning of the speech can be guessed.
Using DeepL to translate from japanese may be the fastest way, but the final text would definitely need to be checked and corrected by a native english speaker (I am not, as you can see). Hopefully someone will generously step forward for this task.

1 Like

I am very relieved that it seems to have worked on the actual device.
I can confirm that we can proceed up to ch2 with no$gba-debugger’s Xcept enabled.
So the game will work with almost no problems.

Translation is a challenge.
The current data is mostly translated by deepl, but it is difficult to translate conversational text.
I have not been able to correct the text generated with the wrong content because I am not aware that it is wrong.

I don’t think ch1 is that difficult as long as you keep yourself from being surrounded by enemies and cut them off.
The enemy reinforcements are only 4-6 turns away.

In ch2, you only have to defend for 20 turns, so you don’t have to kill all the enemies.
Just take as many items as you can.

During the battle animation, you can fast forward with the R button.
But still, there are many enemies, so I recommend to turn off the battle animation.

1 Like